General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Missed a shift...worried about pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

I've missed a shift like you did multiple times, even made the tires skid a bit. No issues whatsoever, no noises, nothing. And I DID check the pushrods afterwards. Engine still runs like a champ.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAH! yay
Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've missed a shift like you did multiple times, even made the tires skid a bit. No issues whatsoever, no noises, nothing. And I DID check the pushrods afterwards. Engine still runs like a champ.
Yeah th etorque of the V8 helps a bit in giving you enough time to react, but it can be the end of an engine. I know someone who was flat out in 4th (7200rpm) and shifted in to 3rd instead of 5th.

Th engine immidiatley dissapeared in smoke. I think they calculated that it was spinning around 12,000rpm+ when it blew. It wasn't a Ls1, but I don't think an LS1 would stand any better chance.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

I reacted damn fast. The tires broke loose only enough to get a low-trac. My roommate riding with me didnt even know it.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I reacted damn fast. The tires broke loose only enough to get a low-trac. My roommate riding with me didnt even know it.
Well hopefully you got away with it. With something like this if it caused any damage I'm reasonlbly certain it would be very evident straight away.

Count your lucky stars and don't do it again!!!!

Serioulsy, how did you do it? Was it the fact you forgot which gear you where in and so the intent was to select the wrong gear. Or was it just and error in arm movement?

I find that hand position plays a massive factor and is the result of most miss-shifts.

Imagine the tranny's in 2nd. If you cup your hand around the shifter so your thumb is on the top and the back of your hand is facing the passenger door.

If you move your arm forward it will also naturally move to the left. This is ideal for downshifting to 1st.

If your hand was cupper over the top of the shifter so the back of your hand is facing the roof. The naturaul movement of your arm is straight ahead. Ideal for going to 3rd from 2nd.

Lastly if your thumb was pointing down towards the drivers footwell with the back of your hand pointing towards the drivers side window. The natural movement of your arm will now push out to the right. This is perfect for fast shifting into 5th from 4th.

Depending on the H spacing of the tranny you may need to taylor the hand position for different shifts anf downshifts. Try it in the air first and see how rotaing your hand affects the movement of your arm.

If you hands in the right place then you'll hardly ever miss a shift, unless you get out of sink with your feet and the clutch pedal that is.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

such a simple job just take the damn covers off and pull the rockers.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

Error in movement during shift. I was granny shifting it and the rpms dropped to around 4K between teh shift. I think that is what saved me.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

Well guys, romped on it a bit more today, sounds like it always has. I did detect a TINY bit of ticking by touching the stethescope to the last two exhaust runners on the pass side, but NOTHING when I touched it to the head or valve cover. I think im just being paranoid, the car has gotten louder a little ever since I put new oil in it. Oh, through every gear it pulled strong and I heard ZERO! tapping or ticking, even at 5K+ All I heard was a mean V8 gurgle and tires hitting the road. I dont have FTRA and I dont have exhaust, so my car is quiet enough I should hear SOMETHING if it was amiss I would think. (im also sure inthe 73K miles this car was driven before me this happened AT LEAST! ONCE! and I never payed it any mind, lol, I doubt im the first-or last who did the 2-3-2.

The previous oil was very thick. Just by LOOKING at it i could tell it was some thick stuff. I bet when I go with a thicker oil even my imagination will be screwed, lol (I dont know what oil to use, we dont have 0 or 5-40M1 here and 0-30 GC didnt do so hot in my 5.0, im not really a fan, even though I guess I should be.)Any suggestions other than the 2 listed? What about 5-40 synthetic Rotella T?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Launching!

I did this as well (damn stock shifter). Car sounded fine, no ticks nothing. Then one night I got on it, hit second and the car flatened out badly at about 5500 RPM. Get to my buddy's house and tick tick tick (loudly, obvious something was wrong). Bent 4 p'rods. Bent them slightly on the misshift and then one finally gave out and bent badly. I did REALLY overrev mine (don't recall RPM's). Sounds like yours was not as bad as mine but I would pull the valvecovers just to be sure.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time you are shifting to 4th relatively hard do it with your thumb down (your hand inverted instead of up right) and do it that way. It won't be so natural to pull it back to your body like it is with your hand on top of the shifter.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

if a pushrod has slightly been bent but the car drives normally and further down the line a pushrod/s bends dramatically will any damage occur to the motor internals?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blue99SS
I did this as well (damn stock shifter). Car sounded fine, no ticks nothing. Then one night I got on it, hit second and the car flatened out badly at about 5500 RPM. Get to my buddy's house and tick tick tick (loudly, obvious something was wrong). Bent 4 p'rods. Bent them slightly on the misshift and then one finally gave out and bent badly. I did REALLY overrev mine (don't recall RPM's). Sounds like yours was not as bad as mine but I would pull the valvecovers just to be sure.

I have been getting on her pretty hard the last 2 days and nothing. I think I got my mulligan Even took her to all but redline the other day. Still "LS1 quiet", lol. Sounds to me like you let your clutch out and shifted at redline with a speed/powershift. Mine was at around 5500 or less and was a SLOW speedshift (Rpms dropped to almost 3500-4K in the shift).

I think if I bent something, even slightly, my romping on it would have bowed the pushrod by now. I think its all cool.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're probably good to go! Now get more pics!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
You're probably good to go! Now get more pics!!!
HAHA! yay (sorry, you just seem to know your **** and if you say its ok based on all evidence presented, then its not a bad thing)

I want to put a heavier oil in it. When I bought the car it had some heavy stuff in there, 20-50 it looked on the dipstick, im no expert though. I put in 10-30 Syntec. I want a 0 or 5-40 and I want full synthetic. I dont like GC because in my 5.0 it made a huge mess in the intake manifold.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

PS, it got noiser with this 10-30, I KNOW! that for a fact.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
if a pushrod has slightly been bent but the car drives normally and further down the line a pushrod/s bends dramatically will any damage occur to the motor internals?
anybody?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

when you shift to the bottom gears, put your hand curled with your thumb faceing the drivers side. when shifting to the top gears, use your palm closest to your wrist and your fingers and thumb facing the front of the car.

never missed a shift like that.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
anybody?
If it was vent you'd know it. If it isn't then it will take something dramatic to bend it in the future. And you'll know it.

There's no way to say if any ofther damage will occur as it will depend on the failure, cause and situation at hand.

If you are really worries, simply swap out the push rods and check everything else. If it seems ok then in most cases it actually is.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I have been getting on her pretty hard the last 2 days and nothing. I think I got my mulligan Even took her to all but redline the other day. Still "LS1 quiet", lol. Sounds to me like you let your clutch out and shifted at redline with a speed/powershift. Mine was at around 5500 or less and was a SLOW speedshift (Rpms dropped to almost 3500-4K in the shift).

I think if I bent something, even slightly, my romping on it would have bowed the pushrod by now. I think its all cool.
Sounds like you're ok, good to hear. Get yourself a Pro 5.0 and a short stick and no more missed gears! Good choice on the new T/A btw.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

Bah, I changed to 10-40 oil and it was noisy as hell, changed back to 10-30 and still has tapping in the valvetrain. If noone is around me I can hear it at low speeds shifting between shifts. It sucks. It sounds like its coming from all of them though I think I may have bent things. Did I blow this thing up with the temp tag still on it?!