General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Missed a shift...worried about pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Missed a shift...worried about pushrods

Tonight I was out playing and shifted at around 5500 from 3rd to 4th...or so I thought. I had actually put it in 2nd, the clutch was not all the way out, but enough to provoke the low-trac light. My "mental memory tach" does not recall the tach going over redline, if it did, it wasnt but the thickness of the needle if that. Maybe 6200 or something. I parked the car, listened to it, popped the hood and hear NOTHING but the minute sewing machine purr of an LS1. Then I got my head under the car by the passenger door and heard a minute tick tick tick that I think is just normal. It was WAY to frequent at 800rpm (idle) for it to be a bent pushrod, I have had 1 header runner leak once so I know how frequent the tap would be on a V8 at 800rpm. Was VERY FAINT! too, I think it is just a normal sound as from the top I heard NOTHING!!! Am I in the clear guys? Are pushrods THAT delicate?

I have no rattle on shutoff or crank and when listening under the hood its just the usual valvetrain stuff. Each valve cover is QUIET (for an LS1) or rather should I say, the same loud, lol (same as before the incident). The only "Tick"I hear is under the car. I think its the exhaust because its ticking really rapidly, almost in harmony with the muted "blat blat blat" out the tail pipe. But if I had a pushrod bent, I would hear it in the top of the motor, no? By listening to valve covers.

Starts up with a roar, and I put her in 4th and went to 5K or so just now on the freeway. No wierd noises and she pulled like normal.

Am I okay?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like me....worried about every little noise.

probably a small exhaust leak you never heard before
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
sounds like me....worried about every little noise.

probably a small exhaust leak you never heard before
I am pretty sure the ticking UNDER the car is exhaust related. It sounds very "external" and I heard NOTHING under the hood when I stuck my ears near each valve cover, does this mean my pushrods are okay? Dare I hope I got the clutch in in time? ?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

you didnt mechanically overrev.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its kinda hit and miss, if you shifted to second instead of 4th under WOT you may have bent a pushrod you may not, if the low trac light flashed it was enough to bend one. However, my friend did the same thing and we pulled all the pushrods and they were fine. I'd pull the covers and rocker arms to be sure.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

Yeah, I mechanically over-revved but I dont think I let it get much over 6 if that. The clutch was out enough to get low trac, but not enough to be fully out. I didnt skid or sqeel tires that I could hear. Would I hear the bent pushrod? As of now I hear nothing abnormal when listening to valve covers.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

seema like to me with a bent pushrod you will definitely hear a nice ticking sound, get a broom stick w/o the broom and stick it to your ear and to the side of the block and listen to it and see if you can hear anything. Also if you can get someone to rev it up a lil.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bent pushrods are not always easly heard, The Lifters will pump up more oil and take up any slack from a mild bend.
I drove on mine for like 4 yrs and had no clue until one broke on a power shift
I had 3 bent and one broken. and replaced them all with hardened pushrods
Old 11-12-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

I did that twice to my car since getting it and I've power shifted more times than I can count since then and I actually let off the clutch enough to get it to 6000+rpm...

I've pulled them and found nothing wrong with them for the most part, when I got the spare $$$ I will get myself hardened pushrods, springs and titanium retainers.

I think it's the dreaded 5-2 shift that will really f over pushrods on the first time = last time event.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SladeX
I did that twice to my car since getting it and I've power shifted more times than I can count since then and I actually let off the clutch enough to get it to 6000+rpm...

I've pulled them and found nothing wrong with them for the most part, when I got the spare $$$ I will get myself hardened pushrods, springs and titanium retainers.

I think it's the dreaded 5-2 shift that will really f over pushrods on the first time = last time event.

Well, there is one vote of confidence...
Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done that twice so far, I wasn't speed shifting or anything though. The car still runs great so no problems there. Of course i stopped doing that when I got a better shifter (great investment) and the 6.5" stick for it. I haven't missed a shift yet!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Well, top end power seems good. Wrapped it up to 5900 or so in 3rd today, no wierd noises, also it pulled HARD up to a little over 5500 and then seemed to kinda flatten out.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

let this be a lesson for the car not to be bitchy. haha
Old 11-12-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

You really should pull the covers to check, you'll thank yourself if you find a bent one. But its your car. And I wouldn't do hardened pushrods to stop it from happening if your keeping the car stock, you'll bend the valves instead if it happens again. Your best solution would be to do some cheap springs lilke LS6's or 918's, that way you can protect the pushrods without really worrying about bending them or a valve. Just my .02, but if it were me, I'd check it, it takes like 30 mins.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

The stock LS1 cam tends to begin to die off after 5200 rpm...

funny how I think die off because it's still got 300ft/lb of torque up to 5800rpm... damn near flat torque curves...
Old 11-12-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

The top of my LS1 sounds like a sewing machine and the engine is stock.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Banned

Well, I hear injectors popping (verified with steel baton used as a stethescope) and I hear a ch ch ch ch ch coming from each head and its the same loudness and its happening really rapidly, like each cylinder is doing it. Also, I removed the oil fill cap and listened and heard clack clack clack but none of them were louder-quieter than the others. I think im okay. Listened to each head at the front/rear/middle and got what sounded like an ocean in a sea-shell. I also did the same with valve-covers-same result. This all sound okay?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
You really should pull the covers to check, you'll thank yourself if you find a bent one. But its your car. And I wouldn't do hardened pushrods to stop it from happening if your keeping the car stock, you'll bend the valves instead if it happens again. Your best solution would be to do some cheap springs lilke LS6's or 918's, that way you can protect the pushrods without really worrying about bending them or a valve. Just my .02, but if it were me, I'd check it, it takes like 30 mins.
I used to have a 5.0. When I look under that LS1 hood I just freak out. Also, doesnt it involve KNOWING where TDC is and rotating the engine and all that jazz and then re-pulling the covers, tightening it again b/c you missed TDC by a fraction, on and on?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me like it's time for a new shifter.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Launching!

You bent a pushrod. When I bent mine it was just as you are describing. About a week later it got more frequent and alot louder. When I changed them one looked like a 7.