General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

A few newb questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A few newb questions..

Hi, new here. Just a few questions about the LS1 cars, I have driven an LT1 but not an LS1. For the 6-speed cars, do the 4th & 5th gears have pretty close ratios, or is 5th like nother OD?

How much hp can the stock LS1 block handle? Same for trans and rearend?

How difficult is it really to pull the plugs?

Anyone switched from Mustang to LS1 like me? How did that go?

Sorry for the newb questions, I don't know a lot about these cars so a little info would help! Thanks, Mike.

PS- these may be the type of stupid questions you were talking about in that sticky, but these are more of personal experience types of questions.

Last edited by Mac93; 11-15-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mac93
Hi, new here. Just a few questions about the LS1 cars, I have driven an LT1 but not an LS1. For the 6-speed cars, do the 4th & 5th gears have pretty close ratios, or is 5th like nother OD?

Sorry for the newb questions, I don't know a lot about these cars so a little info would help! Thanks, Mike.
OMG this is SOOO BLKWS.6 again j/k

The T56 transmission is a double overdrive transmission.

The hp on the stock bottomend can vary from car to car, but there are guys running around 600rwhp without a problem, maybe more. The stock rod bolts are the weak link.

The plugs aren't too hard, the coil packs really get in the way though.

I'd suggest PM'ing BLKWS.6 he could probably answer all your questions going to an LS1 from a 5.0.

Accually, do a search on his name - that will do the trick!

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help, these cars are so damn different than Mustangs..
Old 11-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5th is "usable" and 6th is OD only, but its technically double OD as they are both less than 1.00.

500hp is the stock piston limit, the block, around 1000 is a safe bet. The tranny is rated for 450#tq and the rear end is a POS that can die to a stock car on a tire.
I look at my LS1 and I am sad...I looked at my LT1 and I sold it rather than change them, I look at my 5.0 and laugh, lol. Seriously, an LS1 is a 2 hour job I would guess if I had all the right tools and went slow/happily. Will find out soon

I used to have a 88 GT with X303 cam, TKO500 tranny, 4.10's, GT40P's, roller rockers, full exhaust, 575 carb, you name it, it had it (still 302, but new motor with probe forged flattops). It dynoed 244whp with a 17 flex fan. I pulled an 06+ A5 GT from 75-100 by over a car. My WS.6 feels like it would ***-hammer my 5.0 at anything but a dig run, and then pass it soon. (4.10's helped the 5.0 A LOT! as did the shocks on it). Oh, my WS.6 (like all 4th gens has a SLA front suspension and can actually handly, unlike the pre 05 GT's modified mcphearson strut which is pure ***.

THESE CARS HAVE LOUD MOTORS!!! lots a tippaty tappaty! but its okay, they last a LONG TIME and are very durable, im just now accepting this, lmao

PS- these may be the type of stupid questions you were talking about in that sticky, but these are more of personal experience types of questions.
LS1 is awesome. Do it! Get rid of the old horse.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

Oh, FYI, my 5.0 with the heads and cam NEVER STOPPED PULLING!!!! (the dyno went to 6K with no signes of really falling off) but my 5.0 was a special animal The LS1 feels so much stronger all around, but it dos nose over at around 57-5900 according to my SOTP feel, still stronger than my 5.0. I would NEVER GO BACK!!! This thing owns, I got tired of reeking of fuel and a pounding headach from the cammed up offroad mustang after road trips too. PS. A stock LS1 M6 makes @300whp. Show me a 5.0 that makes 300whp and I will show you something with the works! done to it.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
OMG this is SOOO BLKWS.6 again j/k

The T56 transmission is a double overdrive transmission.

The hp on the stock bottomend can vary from car to car, but there are guys running around 600rwhp without a problem, maybe more. The stock rod bolts are the weak link.

The plugs aren't too hard, the coil packs really get in the way though.

I'd suggest PM'ing BLKWS.6 he could probably answer all your questions going to an LS1 from a 5.0.

Accually, do a search on his name - that will do the trick!

Good luck!

You bastard

Lol, seriously though, I love my WS.6 and the window sticker says 19/28mpg. I love it Oh, 90mph@2000rpm is nice in 6th too...
Old 11-16-2006, 05:39 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Dig into this thread and you'll learn a lot: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

Let's put it this way...building a 5.0 is like feeding a retarded person creatine and protein out the *** and forcing them to work out and become a boxer. Buying a stock LS1 is like hiring Cassius Clay (Mohammad Ali). Give Cassius some creatine and let him hit the weights and see what happens...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hi, new here. Just a few questions about the LS1 cars, I have driven an LT1 but not an LS1. For the 6-speed cars, do the 4th & 5th gears have pretty close ratios, or is 5th like nother OD? 4th & 5th are decently close, but noticeably more spread than 1-4. It still pulls hard though. 6th, forget about it.

How much hp can the stock LS1 block handle? Same for trans and rearend? Stock LS1 block has seen boosted applications go north of 1000rwhp. As far as the short block goes, 500 is about right minus the crank which is very strong. Rod bolts are the weak link to NA motors that spin real high.

How difficult is it really to pull the plugs?Not hard. Took me about an hour and that is including a bunch of little breaks.

Anyone switched from Mustang to LS1 like me? How did that go?No

These are my experiences in my just over 7 years of ownership.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
You bastard

Lol, seriously though, I love my WS.6 and the window sticker says 19/28mpg. I love it Oh, 90mph@2000rpm is nice in 6th too...
You know everyone loves you!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
You bastard

yes gotta love the mpg of the m6
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, these cars are so damn different than Mustangs..
yea...they don't suck