General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are the imports going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the American V8 on the way out...I disagree.
I think it seems we are entering a new era for American muscle. The Fbodies are returning, The new Mustangs are selling great, even though many of them are base models. The latest incarnation of the Z06 runs 11s in the 1/4 right out of the box. The Shelby name is returning, with some serious horsepower behind it. Dodge is bringing back the Challenger, and their Charger and Magnum SRT-8's are some badass machines. I love American cars, and I always will. Every single American car that I've owned has lasted WELL over the 150,000 mile mark, and that speaks volumes to me. I don't base my opinions on car rags, word of mouth or the media. It's all proven durablity and reliability for me. My friend who is in town has a rental car, a very recent model Chevy Malibu Maxx, and it's an awesome car. The interior is very stylish, IMO, and EFFICIENT. It's not over-styled and loaded with pointless crap. In contrast, my experiences with Japanese cars has been poor. My g/f's Scion interior is cheap looking and rather stupid. It has a flimsy plastic door that you can cover the radio with, but it rattles when it's up. The stereo leaves a lot to be desired, and MAN that car is slow. She bought it because it was "cute". I've never tried a "luxury" import like a Lexus, or a BMW, but why would I bother? I can have the proven-to-me reliabilty and efficiency of an American car for 1/3 of the price with more than enough comfort and "luxury" to keep me happy .
Old 12-23-2006, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Asmodeus

What local mechanics say
Whether you're crouching under the car or sitting in an office chair in Detroit analyzing tens of thousands of car histories for a research giant, the quality assessment is more or less the same.

"The Japanese are leading the way," says Mitchell Seligson, a mechanic with 16 years of experience and the owner of Masterfix, in Orangeburg, N.Y. "They revolutionized everything during the 1980s, and everyone's trying to catch up. What I tell people is that in overall quality, Honda and Toyota are what I call the gold standard -- and that includes Lexus and Acura."
The problem with a source like this is that local mechanics are working on older cars. Not too many local shops are gonna see '04+ cars coming in for service. Just because some older GM cars weren't as reilable as certain asian counterparts has nothing to do with brand new models coming out today. That's why you really need to look at the inital quality reports for new cars, which clearly show that GM is right up there with it's asian counterparts. The only asian car that ranks significantly higher than the domestics is Lexus. And that's right from JD Power rankings.

In 10-15 years when people are bringing their '06 Toyotas and GMs to local independent shops, things will likely seem different.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but they do come around to that point is this clip:

"All cars last longer than they used to, says Shawn Harris of Overdrive Motors in Iowa City, who's been a mechanic for 15 years.

"You used to be able to get 125,000 miles out of an engine 20 years ago," he says. "Now, if you take care of your engine, the engine should last 200,000 to 230,000 miles."

That's true whether your car cost $15,000 or $50,000, and whether it's American or not, he says. If you go into the top-of-the-line luxury cars, like a Rolls-Royce, you can get 500,000 miles out of your engine."

It just takes some time for the new cars to filter down to the typical local mechanic, so I agree with you.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

This is the only real problem I have with alot of enthusiasts. Its just a blind devotion to a company just because of where it originates. It happens both here and on the import side. I chose my imports because I personally like the styling and feel of the car better than domestics, but that being said, if chevy made my Rx-7 I would feel just the same. If Mazda made your camaro you would be badmouthing it, and I just dont see the logic. Buy whatever suits you best, dont mind where its made.

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
havent read any of the thread.. but i will NEVER drive an import for performance! i will be the last AMERICAN car standing and i would take on the whole import fleet til i die BABY!!!! AMERICA BABY
Old 12-23-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this big long post typed up, but.. I think I can sum it up with this:

You couldn't run my Z or my GN with your "I fill my sig with appearance mods" SOM POS, go trade that **** in on a grocery getter Honduh and this board. This is a *gasp* GM Enthusiest site! Spout your **** somewhere else.

rofl @ this guy bringing up "You couldn't run my Z or my GN"

dogg I own my own house, 2600+ sq. ft. You think I'm worried about your ****** ***?

it's a Z28 and a Grand National AT THE END OF THE DAY.

There's a Porche and a Benz out there that says you're a redneck. do you gloat to people about how your car is fast in a straight line? NOBODY ******* CARES when they are driving to work. you wanna be comfortable, you buy a nice car... you wanna be a douche bag who thinks straight line speed is the end all be all of performance, buy american.

you douche bag.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Imports have become a growing problem in the U.S. today. It has started as turning you mom's accord into a ricer and now after the stupid movies they have made glorifing the ricers and their "sport" people actually think its cool. Well its not, and it never will be. If you honda is fast you're still a ******* goon, because that 4 cyl is only going to run another month or two before that 20PSI cracks the heads.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2006, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Finite1
dogg I own my own house, 2600+ sq. ft. You think I'm worried about your ****** ***?

you douche bag.
LOL, you think you're cool because you've got a 2600sqft house? What the hell does that have to do with anything? Once again you go off in another direction because your arguement is weak, full of holes and contradictions.

No one here is calling you names, but clearly you're just a punk that can't debate, can't separate fact from opinion and doesn't have anything to offer but personal attacks.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How are is someone gonna try to downtalk me because my car isn't highly modded?? that makes me a bad person with no valid opinion cause I dont waste money on my car?

thats rediculous.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

How are is someone gonna try to downtalk me because my car isn't highly modded?? that makes me a bad person with no valid opinion cause I dont waste money on my car?

thats rediculous.
Your opinion is valid. But it's just an opinion. The problem is that you can't seem to tell the difference between what is opinion and what is fact. You keep stating opinions like they are facts. Then you call people names.

And you wonder why people here aren't liking you?
Old 12-23-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

off topic, but this is mostly opinion. I have mine, you have yours.

Telling me to GET OFF THE SITE.

man I participate, I buy from sponsors, I use the trading system, I do things to my car somewhat.. my POS SOM.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a Porche and a Benz out there that says you're a redneck. do you gloat to people about how your car is fast in a straight line? NOBODY ******* CARES when they are driving to work. you wanna be comfortable, you buy a nice car... you wanna be a douche bag who thinks straight line speed is the end all be all of performance, buy american.

you douche bag.
Congradulations! I own my own house too! Is that something special?

I'd want a porche or a benz instead, IF I wanted to spend 2 to 3 times more to fix everything that went wrong. But I don't want to drop 500-600 bucks when say, a water pump goes out so.. I didn't buy an import.

I don't have to be straight line either. Even in the GN. Alter the adjustable front shocks, put in new front springs, change the pressure in the air bags in the rear, reattatch front sway bar, and she's corner savvy.

Let me put the money into my suspension that an import needs to put into it's engine to be even with EITHER of my 2 cars and I'll win every time. Every SINGLE time.

and to borrow YOUR logic of: "you wanna be comfortable, you buy a nice car... you wanna be a douche bag who thinks straight line speed is the end all be all of performance, buy american."

I'll reply with: you want to be fast, you buy a fast car, you want to be someone who prefers good gas mileage and economy, buy an import.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

you douche bag.

WTF are you talking about??? Since when this thread was about look how big my house is!!! Your right, there is a douche bag here...you, my immature, insignificant friend. Its evident you ran out of arguments and felt the need to let your true self out. My guess is you will post how much you make a year next to let the world see how "cool" you are.......mental midget....
Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congradulations! I own my own house too! Is that something special?

I'd want a porche or a benz instead, IF I wanted to spend 2 to 3 times more to fix everything that went wrong. But I don't want to drop 500-600 bucks when say, a water pump goes out so.. I didn't buy an import.

I don't have to be straight line either. Even in the GN. Alter the adjustable front shocks, put in new front springs, change the pressure in the air bags in the rear, reattatch front sway bar, and she's corner savvy.

Let me put the money into my suspension that an import needs to put into it's engine to be even with EITHER of my 2 cars and I'll win every time. Every SINGLE time.

and to borrow YOUR logic of: "you wanna be comfortable, you buy a nice car... you wanna be a douche bag who thinks straight line speed is the end all be all of performance, buy american."

I'll reply with: you want to be fast, you buy a fast car, you want to be someone who prefers good gas mileage and economy, buy an import.

No i'm using the same argument, that just because I dont HIGHLY MOD my car, obviously my opinion isn't needed.

You could buy a ton of imports that would require ZERO suspension mods and outhandle an f-body. Put the same mod on some import and your back at square one.. whats the argument then?

I said I love my car.. wtf do you want??
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
NKAWTG...N

Keep the thread nice please...or my happy lock will come out and play
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

off topic, but this is mostly opinion. I have mine, you have yours.

Telling me to GET OFF THE SITE.

man I participate, I buy from sponsors, I use the trading system, I do things to my car somewhat.. my POS SOM.
Seems like you'd be happier with an import. You think they are better, so start praticing what you preach, get the import.

If owing a domestic makes someone a douche bag, then that includes you as well. Since you own a domestic.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys must be financial guru based on how you act.

its a CAR and this is some WEBSITE debate imports vs dometics, the most touchy subject on a AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR website.

damn.. I'm gonna stop.. this is out of hand now..
Old 12-23-2006, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

No i'm using the same argument, that just because I dont HIGHLY MOD my car, obviously my opinion isn't needed.
You still don't get it.

This is all about fact vs opinion. That's where you seem to have a hard time, telling the difference between the two. That is what this debate is really about.

Still not sure what the hell your house has to do with it..... that's just weak.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Ibtl!!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

That's something to be PROUD of. If I could open my garage and see a z28 AND a Grand National, I'd pretty much be one of the happiest people alive!

There's a Porche and a Benz out there that says you're a redneck.
Somewhere out there is a Chevy owner who thinks you're a redneck because you call people "dogg".

And those same Chevy guys are laughing at the guy who dropped 80k$ on a Mercedes because he thought that it would make him look cool and impress chicks.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You still don't get it.

This is all about fact vs opinion. That's where you seem to have a hard time, telling the difference between the two. That is what this debate is really about.

Still not sure what the hell your house has to do with it..... that's just weak.

I'm still not sure what me trying to race his cars has to do with the argument.

he wants to hold up his cars as his prized possession... so I held up my house

lets compare house for house then, cause thats exactly where he was taking this.

**** IMPORTS.. They SUCK... THey will NEVER be as good as American Cars NEVER