General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are the imports going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If the Camaro had been designed in Japan, it would look like all the other tiny import sports cars, and have a small displacement V6. It wouldn't be a brute of a muscle car with a big V8 and the all-American flavor that it has. That's why I personally wouldn't like it, if it came from Japan. It would be a different car, altogether.

two major things here.

Japan vs. America. first major issue is SPACE. we have a ton of space, they have very little

their entire existance is based on making good with what they have.. so based on high population, it only makes sense for them to make a really economically sound car.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Finite1
realistically you'd be sacrificing ride quality, luxury, interior, options, over all looks and styling.. I dont get that.
While some of that might make sense when comparing an S class to a Trans Am/Z28, according to you a new Cadillac buyer is also sacrificing those things, but he is not.
I don't get that.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't been in a new caddy other than the late model 'lade. so my opinion is a little bias.. I think the new Caddy's > Lincoln.. they really do look great.

but if I was spending 50k... I'd just rather go with a lexus.. after driving the new ES's and GS.. maybe Im just inspired.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I think just that for muscle cars and all out performance, American is better. clearly.
I would agree, but that seems very contrary to what you've been posting thus far. I don't get it?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I haven't been in a new caddy other than the late model 'lade. so my opinion is a little bias.. I think the new Caddy's > Lincoln.. they really do look great.

but if I was spending 50k... I'd just rather go with a lexus.. after driving the new ES's and GS.. maybe Im just inspired.
I've recently been in a new Caddy STS, and IMO it's TOP NOTCH all around. Very sweet car. I like the DTS as well, but haven't been in one yet.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate EVo's.. I hate STI's.. I dislike most imports. but when it comes to different classes, You gotta draw the line somewhere.

If I was buying a sedan, I'd go import.
If I was buying luxury, I'd go import.
If I was buying economy, I'd go import.
If I was buying SPEED & Performance, I'd go American.
If I was buying a Truck, I'd go American.

no way is a new caddy comparing to a new lex/bmw/benz/Infinity. no way.. you really gotta compare the two.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

no way is a new caddy comparing to a new lex/bmw/benz.. thats not possible.
A guy at work has an either '04 or '05 E320. Nothing about that car is any nicer than the '06 STS I was recently in, IMO.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

That's your right to make those selections. Nothing wrong with that. But it's your opinion that these are the best choices, just like some of us here would disagree with those choices.

Personally I'd pick domestic for all those catigories. I've loved every domestic car that I've owned so far.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:24 PM
NKAWTG...N

no way is a new caddy comparing to a new lex/bmw/benz/Infinity. no way.. you really gotta compare the two.

Its an opinion! I have been in some cheap *** Mercades and plenty of Lexus's that have had much worse interiors than my SS, let alone the Corvettes.

Do I say the SS and Corvette are better than all imports? No!
Do I say that all imports are better than the SS and Corvette? No!

It's a fricken opinion...so this argument is pointless.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate EVo's.. I hate STI's.. I dislike most imports. but when it comes to different classes, You gotta draw the line somewhere.

yeah but when you bring the price into this, and start comparing models based on price, i think you will see that a Caddy is more bang for your buck.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bananahead and rpmws6.. I just noticed I live pretty close to you guys..

my gf lives in lake villa... I live on the wi/il border... Cars put away right now tho..

But my 01 cavalier 5-speed gets 34mpg... cant beat that!!

As for the rolls-royce getting 500k out of the engine... I take it that its a diesel?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

i'll die a chevy man, but... show me an american V8 that can withstand more then 10 psi. on a stock motor. as soon as i sell my camaro, im going to be looking at a supra. i love my camaro but i cant go to the drag strip with out it breaking. there's not a lot of imports out there that i really like, only a few, (supra, 300zx). and when we say import, we're really meaning japanese cars, becuase jags, merc, and bmw are concidered import too. and i think almost anybody on here would take a jaguar, or a bmw anyday if it we're handed to us.

just becuase some people can make a 4 cyl. just as fast as a v8 doesnt mean we have to hate them... unless there a complete cocky idiot.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

ok.. so you'd rather buy an underpowered car than a superior smaller engine making almost as much power.

thats what I'm understanding? You'd rather get worse gas mileage and a lesser engine.

you cant compare american technology to foreign..
Someone slap this guy in the face with a rubber hose...

You, sir, are an import fanboy. Who are you trying to convince here?? Yourself?? Your arguement is baseless and opinionated, you've said at least 4 times that "Jap cars are BETTER than American cars". GTFO with that crap, thats your opinion, nothing more.

Then you call the Impala SS "underpowered" and the Camry "efficient"?? Are you serious?? The Camry get no better real world fuel economy, has less power, and isn't even anything resembling fun to drive or sporty. The Impala is more affordable, better looking, and will run just as long as the Camry with proper maintenance. And when things do need to be replaced as the car gets older, it won't cost you $800 for a new engine sensor or catalytic converter.

Do what you want. If you want to support Japan by buying (and worshipping)their vehicles, then thats your business. I'll have no part in it, if there's a competitive Domestic model that I like just as much or more, thas where mu Dollar goes. I'll support my OWN country thanks very much, and I don't care to hear your biased bullshit on here about how great you think Jap imports are. Take it someone else where someone might give a ****.

Thats all I got to say to you.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Imports will stay around. To what degree, and how large a spoiler has yet to be seen. But hey....we need something as an appetizer on the menu. ... Oh, and who knew how many import fans were members here... what up with that!?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000SLPZ28
i'll die a chevy man, but... show me an american V8 that can withstand more then 10 psi. on a stock motor. as soon as i sell my camaro, im going to be looking at a supra. i love my camaro but i cant go to the drag strip with out it breaking. there's not a lot of imports out there that i really like, only a few, (supra, 300zx). and when we say import, we're really meaning japanese cars, becuase jags, merc, and bmw are concidered import too. and i think almost anybody on here would take a jaguar, or a bmw anyday if it we're handed to us.

just becuase some people can make a 4 cyl. just as fast as a v8 doesnt mean we have to hate them... unless there a complete cocky idiot.
Uhhh.. How about the 03+ Cobras? They run a lot more than 10psi on stock internals. A lot of american diesels too. Fact is, if it isn't coming from the factory with boost, there's NO need to put forged pistons and internals inside which you need for higher cylinder pressure. I don't really see the point of your arguement.

I can also show you an American V6 that can handle more than 10psi on stock internals. If you break your Z everytime you go to a dragstrip, well, I don't know what to tell you considering your car is basicly running stock times.

Supras are decent cars, but they break pretty often at the drag strip as well. That can be said for almost any turbo car. Especially when you start turning up the boost. Supras on average aren't great at a dragstrip. You know what the difference between a 600hp supra and a 900hp supra is? Nothing. They both run 10's.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

i'll die a chevy man, but... show me an american V8 that can withstand more then 10 psi. on a stock motor. as soon as i sell my camaro, im going to be looking at a supra.
If I was going to build a motor for boost, I'd build an LC2 Buick V6 before any Supra. But that's just a matter of preference. Frankly I don't like anything about the way a Supra looks. Though I do agree that their motors are a great base to work with for building big power. But I think the LC2 3.8L V6 is just as good and has just as much (or more) aftermarket support.

The only import sports car that I've ever liked the look of is the 3000 GT. It's bigger than most of the other comparable imports, guess that's why I like it. I've never really been a fan of little cars.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

It also doesn't mean we have to like their cars either. Respect it? Sure why not. If it's fast it's fast. But like it? Nah, why should I?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, no doubt. GNX, GN, T-Type anyone?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Smearin
Bananahead and rpmws6.. I just noticed I live pretty close to you guys..

my gf lives in lake villa... I live on the wi/il border... Cars put away right now tho..
Maybe you could make it to one of the local shows this year? It's always nice to meet other local F-body guys.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Yea, no doubt. GNX, GN, T-Type anyone?
And let's not forget the '89 TTA. Same turbo buick V6 but with F-body suspension and brakes. Nice cars, ran the same times stock as LS1 F-bodies, and they came out 9 years earlier.