General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are the imports going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allblacksrt4
wow you guys are pretty ignorant. A stock evo and sti are just has fast as a stock ls1. There is a big diffence between a ricer, and a import tuner. Honda's can be fast, any car can be fast. My buddy has a 350z with $2,000 in mods will destory probley half the ls1's on this site. Just because you have a domestic v8 doesn't mean your not a ricer. I have seen alot of riced out f-body's.

He's got a point, if you're a car guy, you're a car guy, you'll appreciate anything worth being appreciated. If a built up civic runs a 10.8... i say wow, cool. I wouldnt get one, i'll stick to my guns. A few of my friends drive SRT-4s, run low 12s, high 11s all day at the track, with stock boost and few mods, get over 30 on highway. Now i'm not backing up ricers, because in my opinion i dont think those guys are ricers. Ricers are the dipshit civics with d15s and d16s with just an intake and a muffler, rims, wings, and dorky shiftnobs. Those were the result of The Fast and the Furious. V8s ROCK

my .02
Old 12-22-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of younger people are buying those 4 cyl turbo/superchared cars like the SRT 4, Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, Evo's and STi's. The Evo, STi's and SRT4's stg. 3 are nice but are pricey, but they can compete with our stock LS1's. The other's need full bolt on's, tuning etc. just to get to our level, but they think they are badass when they can hang with us. Almost every younger guy I know always says to me why not go 4cyl turbo? I just laugh and continue on listening to there b.s about how they are better in almost every way, in there minds a least, and when they go to the track with their stock 4 banger and run a low 14 they're all excited and when they dump thousands into there car and run a high 12 they are like little school girls being all gitty and gay Anyway V8's will not be overtaken, with the modded LS1's, the new Camaro, GTO, Vettes, Challenger etc. coming out, it's just gonna get even uglier for those little 4 bangers.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^

exactly!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:16 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by logo_craig
I know there are a lot of kids who are into Muscle cars, Im 19 and i have been into muscle cars my whole life....and i really think that some ricers really believe that their cars are really fast....and for that they are idiots. lol

+1 for ricers never taking over!!! it just wont happen.
My little brother is 19, and he is the same way. Glad to hear he's not alone.

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
wow you guys are pretty ignorant. A stock evo and sti are just has fast as a stock ls1. There is a big diffence between a ricer, and a import tuner. Honda's can be fast, any car can be fast. My buddy has a 350z with $2,000 in mods will destory probley half the ls1's on this site. Just because you have a domestic v8 doesn't mean your not a ricer. I have seen alot of riced out f-body's.
ricer = import tuner/import tuner = ricer

The terms are one in the same....any Japanese car is a ricer if you ask me.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

id hardly call a skyline or a supra a ricer. not everybody wants a big v8. and believe it or not some people like to turn the steering wheel every now and then. the japanese tuners turn out some amazing cars that not only run fast 1/4 mile times, but can tear up a road course. the evo and sti are awesome cars. low 13 secod quarter mile times stock, can fit 4 adults comforatably, have excellent handling, and you can actually drive them in the winter!! i love my f-body to death but you have to give some of these imports credit.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

My buddy has a 350z with $2,000 in mods will destory probley half the ls1's on this site.

Keep dreaming buddy......
Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All jokes aside, my friend with a gsr uses more gas than my car.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you def. do not own a f-body after that comment. a 350z with 2k in mods...such as what? $1980 chromed out rims and $20 ebay intake?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TAtoad
He's got a point, if you're a car guy, you're a car guy, you'll appreciate anything worth being appreciated.
Not necessarily.

I'm a "car guy", but frankly I don't have any interest in a Civic even if it does run 10.8. Speed alone doesn't mean much to me, because as we all know ANY car can be made fast with enough $$$. If I don't like the way a car looks, then it's 1/4 mile time really means nothing to me.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
ricer = import tuner/import tuner = ricer

The terms are one in the same....any Japanese car is a ricer if you ask me.
I feel the same way. You have fast rice, you have slow rice; but either way it's still rice......
Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Not necessarily.

I'm a "car guy", but frankly I don't have any interest in a Civic even if it does run 10.8. Speed alone doesn't mean much to me, because as we all know ANY car can be made fast with enough $$$. If I don't like the way a car looks, then it's 1/4 mile time really means nothing to me.

yeah im a huge "car guy" and i dont give a **** if a Honda F'in Civic can run a 10.8, or even if can run 8.1, i dont care!! its still a Civic
Old 12-22-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly, they'll still sound like ****.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ill make a quick comment on this matter, coming from the "import" side of things. I started out my car hobby with a non-turbo '86 Rx-7 when i was 16. At this time most of my friends had either LT1 F-bodies or 5.0 mustangs. Personally, Ive always been impressed by a nicely built V-8, but never liked the cars they were put in. American cars in general are usually too heavy and lack alot of build quality (interior and body-wise) compared to imports. I also enjoy road racing much more than drag, so I like a small/light, nimble car. My friend now has a LT1/ 6-speed trans am, and honestly I hate the way these cars feel. Ive grown up around muscle cars and drag racing , and have driven SS novas, malibus, camaros and the like. But for me nothing sounds better than a smaller displacement engine screaming to 8-9k, the whistle of a turbo and roar of open wastegates. We all may have our preferences , but there are just as many speed freaks with 600+ WHP cars on the import side as there are over here. We dont all slap 6" mufflers on civics and paint them lime green, and I think the F&F movies just put more of these idiots into the spotlight. The fact that I am dropping an LSx into my 94 Rx-7 shows I enjoy/respect alot of different engines, and am choosing what will best accomplish my goal. Please dont classify us all in the ricer category, we're car guys just like you, just with a bit different taste. As long as they are RWD..

Last edited by Rxmfn7; 12-22-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
Ill make a quick comment on this matter, coming from the "import" side of things. I started out my car hobby with a non-turbo '86 Rx-7 when i was 16. At this time most of my friends had either LT1 F-bodies or 5.0 mustangs. Personally, Ive always been impressed by a nicely built V-8, but never liked the cars they were put in. American cars in general are usually too heavy and lack alot of build quality (interior and body-wise) compared to imports. I also enjoy road racing much more than drag, so I like a small/light, nimble car. My friend now has a LT1/ 6-speed trans am, and honestly I hate the way these cars feel. Ive grown up around muscle cars and drag racing , and have driven SS novas, malibus, camaros and the like. But for me nothing sounds better than a smaller displacement engine screaming to 8-9k, the whistle of a turbo and roar of open wastegates. We all may have our preferences , but there are just as many speed freaks with 600+ WHP cars on the import side as there are over here. We dont all slap 6" mufflers on civics and paint them lime green, and I think the F&F movies just put more of these idiots into the spotlight. The fact that I am dropping an LSx into my 94 Rx-7 shows I enjoy/respect alot of different engines, and am choosing what will best accomplish my goal. Please dont classify us all in the ricer category, we're car guys just like you, just with a bit different taste. As long as they are RWD..
I like this post

I guess you could say that we're on exact oppsite sides of this spectrum. I can't stand the sound of a 4 cylinder, or a small V6. But I love any sort of V8 at any RPM. I don't care much for the road feel of a tiny import, but much prefer the brute, larger American musclecars with a live axle and long hood. I don't care for the styling of 95% of asian sports cars, inside or out.

But even with all that said, I can respect the fact that others like yourself really like these cars. But it doesn't mean that I would or should care one bit about them. Nor should you be pressured to care about mine.

Personally I don't have a problem with people liking asian cars, what I do have a problem with is asian car lovers that like to push their cars down the throat's of domestic fans. There is nothing they can say to change my mind, their arguement is biased, and their facts are generally twisted. This is why I don't try to "convert" asian car lovers to the domestic side. It's pointless, because we all like what we like for our own reasons.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont understand why you dont like muscle cars, especially growin up around them...

its like making your kid play with G.I. Joes and guns so he wont be , and then him growing up and playing with Barbies anyways!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well said. I may not "like" your car, but I can/do respect it. Thats all I ask for in exchange.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I like this post

I guess you could say that we're on exact oppsite sides of this spectrum. I can't stand the sound of a 4 cylinder, or a small V6. But I love any sort of V8 at any RPM. I don't care much for the road feel of a tiny import, but much prefer the brute, larger American musclecars with a live axle and long hood. I don't care for the styling of 95% of asian sports cars, inside or out.

But even with all that said, I can respect the fact that others like yourself really like these cars. But it doesn't mean that I would or should care one bit about them. Nor should you be pressured to care about mine.

Personally I don't have a problem with people liking asian cars, what I do have a problem with is asian car lovers that like to push their cars down the throat's of domestic fans. There is nothing they can say to change my mind, their arguement is biased, and their facts are generally twisted. This is why I don't try to "convert" asian car lovers to the domestic side. It's pointless, because we all like what we like for our own reasons.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

my .02

first off you cant put a civic into the same category as an evo. thats like associating a firebird with a sunfire.

second, i was in a srt4 on a racetrack (hot laps at infineon raceway before an irl race) and i gotta tell ya it was a pretty fast & well handling little car. it suprised the **** out of me to be honest, the little skittles SCOOT.

they were loaded down with 4 people each lap and each car ran at least 10 HARD laps, one right after another. the brakes and clutches of them all pretty much caught on fire towards the end and yet they never broke a beat. i wouldnt at all be ashamed to have one, same goes for a wrx or an evo. i can imagine that a srt4 with a little work would be a freakin terror.

does that make me a ricer? i dont think so, it makes me a car guy who appreciates something that huals ***.

i dig my firebird, thats a given. but just just because i own a v8 doesnt mean i have to ignorantly judge anything without one. besides that, in the time it takes me to swap my freaking plugs a guy with an import can swap a turbo...

AT LEAST hot rod imports are getting manufactured. gm kicked fbody guys to the curb, and yet we just beg for more.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Just completely different tastes.. I also grew up with my family riding harleys, they didnt like it too much when I rolled up in my new Honda CBR600RR.

Originally Posted by logo_craig
i dont understand why you dont like muscle cars, especially growin up around them...

its like making your kid play with G.I. Joes and guns so he wont be , and then him growing up and playing with Barbies anyways!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Well said. I may not "like" your car, but I can/do respect it. Thats all I ask for in exchange.
I agree.

I think this is where a lot of the conflict is. The difference between "like" and "respect".

Do I respect a small import that runs 10s with a 4-cyl motor? Sure. Do I respect the guy that built the car for all his research done, money spent, countless hours of work, etc...? Of course. Do I respect the fact that he's got different taste as to what is cool, and that he's proud of what he owns? Most definitely. And if an import owner comes over to my car and gives me a complement, I return the gesture by finding something I like about his car and doing the same.

BUT, do I personally "like" his car overall? Not a chance. And in return I ask the same, and expect the same. Seems simple to me.

Frankly I don't think that makes me closed-minded. It's not like I've never been in an import before, I do have experiaces to base my opinions on. I've been in my share of them (DSM, RX7, S2000, etc.) and I'm not especially impressed. Sure, they're ok to drive and offer their own advantages but I just don't like the cosmetics or the tiny feel & look of the cars.

We all buy what we like, and like what we buy. Simple as that. No reason why anyone should be forced by others to like something that they don't.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Imports will always be ranked better in every major category, for a long time to come.... so get used to it.

I love my car... but face the facts:

American cars are generally poorly manufactured and far far behind the import companies in everything from factory protocol standards to sales to the same old technology used.

As I always say, if you are buying American you're only buying a muscle car or a truck.... everything else is basically a waste.

You cant compare even a Cadillac to a luxury import.....