General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are the imports going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and if you're willing to spend $$$$$, then anything can be made fast.

like, I dont understand the hate towards Scion, at least not the TC.. I'm not saying I'd buy one.. but seems like a pretty nice compact sports well made car.

someone who took interest and say put a turbo or somthing on it, can make it a quick car just like anything else.

Last edited by Finite1; 12-22-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rxmfn7
Just completely different tastes.. I also grew up with my family riding harleys, they didnt like it too much when I rolled up in my new Honda CBR600RR.
motorcycles are a different story...cause i love your motorcycle!!

and BTW i do respect Evo's and Sti's i just dont like when people make a Civic fast, its really just a waste of money when you can buy a Camaro with all that extra money thrown into the Civic, just so the Civic can run low 13's high 12's....where as if you were to throw the same amount into a F-body, you could be lookin at 10's or 11's...but thats just my .02
Old 12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres no replacement for displacement.

IMO, as long as you dont **** up your car with stupid pointless **** like loud no-power-adding mufflers, huge wings, gay skirts, and other misc. stupid crap. I dont hate on someone who owns an import.. usually they just want a reliable car.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

someone who wants a reliable car and buys an import better keep that damn thing stock. have you ever tried to work on one of those little *******? you gotta look at it sideways just for it to start making sense. besides, ANY car you start to mod is going to have problems. maybe small problems, but still. so as far as that goes, if they think fbods are less reliable then imports....they should shove their 8 inch fartcans up their asses and stay in a honda forum

just my opinion on the subject. some may disagree but i dont care
Old 12-22-2006, 08:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite1
Imports will always be ranked better in every major category, for a long time to come.... so get used to it.

GM's initial quality rankings are already rivaling the asian imports.

As I always say, if you are buying American you're only buying a muscle car or a truck.... everything else is basically a waste.
Are you serious?

After owning both Toyota and GM regular sedans for many years, I think your comment is silly.

You cant compare even a Cadillac to a luxury import.....
Have you been in a new cadillac recently? I think the new STS is just as nice in every way as similarly priced imports.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

I think Caddy has gotten it's **** together lately, but it's their resale value that would steer me away...
Old 12-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
A lot of younger people are buying those 4 cyl turbo/superchared cars like the SRT 4, Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, Evo's and STi's. The Evo, STi's and SRT4's stg. 3 are nice but are pricey, but they can compete with our stock LS1's. The other's need full bolt on's, tuning etc. just to get to our level, but they think they are badass when they can hang with us. Almost every younger guy I know always says to me why not go 4cyl turbo? I just laugh and continue on listening to there b.s about how they are better in almost every way, in there minds a least, and when they go to the track with their stock 4 banger and run a low 14 they're all excited and when they dump thousands into there car and run a high 12 they are like little school girls being all gitty and gay Anyway V8's will not be overtaken, with the modded LS1's, the new Camaro, GTO, Vettes, Challenger etc. coming out, it's just gonna get even uglier for those little 4 bangers.
I had an SRT4 hand me my *** in a freeway race the other day in my C6...

I thought it was funny, actually..
Old 12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
My buddy has a 350z with $2,000 in mods will destory probley half the ls1's on this site.
You have got to be ******* kidding...

Did you really just call other folks ignorant?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
It seems like every year more and more high performance enthusiasts are buying imports versus domestic cars. I am seeing more and more STIs, EVOs, etc. It doesn't help that GM decided to quit making the F bodies after 02. I really hope that the 5th Gen Camaro sells like crazy so that I can buy one in a few years. I see a lot of new Mustangs, but most of them seem to be 6 bangers. I myself prefer to have an LS1 because 1) it costs a lot less to buy 2) going sideways with tire smoke rolling out everywhere is tons of fun and smells awesome IMO 3) nothing sounds better than the rumble of a V8 (especially a supercharged Cobra V8) and I am sure I could think of a few more reasons if I wanted to.

So what do you guys think? Are domestic V8s on the way out? I know they use more gas than a regular 4 banger, but I don't think that 4 banger with a turbo is that much more of a gas saver. Any ideas on why this is happening? Or maybe it is just more common here in Michigan because of the snow factor and AWD can go through this crap. Or maybe the Fast n Furious movies have done wonders for marketing imports.
The only way they are taking over performance wise is if American cars keep getting heavier. Like the GTO, Shelby, Challenger, ect..

It's hard to get 4000lbs moving, not to mention the stress on the drivetrain involved..
Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
wow you guys are pretty ignorant. A stock evo and sti are just has fast as a stock ls1. There is a big diffence between a ricer, and a import tuner. Honda's can be fast, any car can be fast. My buddy has a 350z with $2,000 in mods will destory probley half the ls1's on this site. Just because you have a domestic v8 doesn't mean your not a ricer. I have seen alot of riced out f-body's.
We are ignorant?? Dude, pull your head out of your ***...

First off, stock Evos and STI's are NOT as fast as stock LS1's. They put down about 70WHP less and about 100ft/lbs less torque. They can launch hard, but thats about it. Other than that they are buzzy 4 banger economy cars that sound like ****.

There is an extremely fine line between a ricer and an "import tuner". You sound like your quoting from F&F, Japanese cars are rice, get over it. They are where the word "rice" originated from.

Sure, any car can be made fast. Does that make it worthwhile, or a nice car?? Hell no, I don't care how fast a ricer may be, its still a shitbox econo car that sounds like crap - therefore it gets zero respect from me, because I consider that a complete waste.

As for your "buddy's 350Z", I have one word for that: BULLSHIT. 350Z's need F/I just to hang with stock LS1's, there's no way your "buddys" 350Z would even be able to kill a stock LS1. Lets be serious here...

As for riced out F-Bodys, guess who rices them out?? Thats right, the same people who rice out Jap cars. They think rice looks good, but they have an F-Body instead of a Japanese car, so they rice out their F-Body instead. Rice = Asian, therefore "ricing out" a Domestic consists of making it look like an Asian, more specifically Japanese, import.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the V8 trend is going to go out, but if domestic manufacturers don't start doing things right the import guys will take over the V8 market. I don't think MPG is an issue as its well known that M6 LS1's can consistently get 30 MPG highway, and with displacement on demand the MPG issues is slowly fading away. E85 shows alot of potential for the future of high performance cars (i4 and V8 alike), we'll always be here. Dom and his 'team' will be there too, they've been around for alot longer tweaking i4's than you might think.

Originally Posted by TransAminal

As for your "buddy's 350Z", I have one word for that: BULLSHIT. 350Z's need F/I just to hang with stock LS1's, there's no way your "buddys" 350Z would even be able to kill a stock LS1. Lets be serious here...
No way $2k in a 350Z is going to let it touch an LS1. Sorry buddy (not you, poster you quoted!)
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by white_camaro
id hardly call a skyline or a supra a ricer. not everybody wants a big v8. and believe it or not some people like to turn the steering wheel every now and then. the japanese tuners turn out some amazing cars that not only run fast 1/4 mile times, but can tear up a road course. the evo and sti are awesome cars. low 13 secod quarter mile times stock, can fit 4 adults comforatably, have excellent handling, and you can actually drive them in the winter!! i love my f-body to death but you have to give some of these imports credit.
Sorry, I can't give a vehicle credit when I can't look at it with a straight face and not break out laughing.

And thats what the Evo and STI are all about - rice. I mean seriously, open your eyes. Cover up the stupid wing, the hoodscoops, the bodykit, and the different headlights. What do you see?? A Subie Impreza family sedan and a basic Mitsu Lancer economy car. Making performance vehicles out of these economy sedans it just totally pointless IMO - why start with an economy car and rice it out?? Why not build a nice looking, 2 door, lightweight sports car and make a performance version of that?? Ricers are dumb though, the STi and Evo are nothing more than fads.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you kiddin me. the evo and sti were born to rally race. evolutions and sti's are not beefed up economy cars, the impreza and lancer base models are detuned(extremely) rally cars. personally i like the look of the evo and sti. and unlike ricers the hoodscoops and giant wing are actually FUNCTIONAL and help improve performance unlike the ss hood(which is the sexiest hood ever made btw).
Old 12-23-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

wow... ignorance is bliss i suppose. imo there aint no difference between some of the opinions of some of the peeps in this thread and those of the ricers who put the fartcan and bodykit on the older sisters hand me down civic and think its the fastest **** on the road.

go ahead and hate the looks of the actual performance based imports all you want, but i cant help to imagine if a built evo was next to you at a light with miles of clean road ahead, you would prompty put on the blinker to avoid the embarassment.

its easy to talk **** against imports on an ls1 board and flame all the posts in the street kills section with facts and figures you read on the internet, but i wonder how many of you who blindly label any import as a pos on the boards dont talk near as loud in the real world?

dont get me wrong, i dig the **** out of my rig. but i also appreciate all the other different types of speedy little cars out there.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by white_camaro
...the ss hood(which is the sexiest hood ever made btw).
dude, my hood is waaay sexier. its got cleavage!!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

GM's initial quality rankings are already rivaling the asian imports.

Are you serious?

After owning both Toyota and GM regular sedans for many years, I think your comment is silly.

Have you been in a new cadillac recently? I think the new STS is just as nice in every way as similarly priced imports.

They are cheap.. cheaply made. American factory standards arent as good as Japanese and other foreign companies. How can you even compare GM or other American engineering to foreign is beyond me. How you can even compare quality is beyond me.

Have you been in a Lexus lately? how about a Benz? How about a BMW?

man **** a Cadillac compared to a new Lexus.

I haven't even been in a Porche or somthing real exotic as such, but I can only imagine its better than every American sports car other than maybe a Ford GT which probably still falls short somewhere. ANY cadillac is gonna be a nice car, and probably worth your money if you want to spend it.. but I'd MUCH RATHER have an luxury import. Have you seen the new Infinities or Lexus? They have a car that parks itself in the Lexus divsion. And you're trying to compare American to foreign.

my last car was a 98' Es300 and I've owned 4 American cars out of 5 cars I've had in my life I owned.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been in an 06' Escalade actually, my cousin has one with 22"s, and also a 06' HD2500 with the extreme edge package.... I mean they are tight as ****. but I like American trucks over all imports.

However, his SLK450 is somthing else.. the interior is like art. No american car can compare to that.

On the other hand, my dads Maxima is a nice *** car also.. I dont think other American cars in the same category can compare. However, he also has an 02' C5, and I absolutely love that car..

My mom has a 95' Lexus RX, and it's pretty nice also. My boy just got a 00' Infinity I30. Another buddy has an 99' M3. Etc. etc.. I could go on. I've been in a lot in a life, I'm 24.

just my opinions based on what i've been in, seen, and read about.

Last edited by Finite1; 12-23-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been in an 06' Escalade actually, my cousin has one with 22"s, and also a 06' HD2500 with the extreme edge package.... I mean they are tight as ****. but I like American trucks over all imports.

However, his SLK450 is somthing else.. the interior is like art. No american car can compare to that.

On the other hand, my dads Maxima is a nice *** car also.. I dont think other American cars in the same category can compare. However, he also has an 02' C5, and I absolutely love that car..

My mom has a 95' Lexus RX, and it's pretty nice also. My boy just got a 00' Infinity I30. Another buddy has an 99' M3. Etc. etc.. I could go on. I've been in a lot in a life, I'm 24.

luxury wise, i enjoy my 94 altima more than my 98 SS. but you know the answer for speed.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey dude not to be an *******, but uhh i dont think anyone cares what kind of car you have been in....your acting like you were a freakin lambo or something, do you really think were impressed with you being in a 99' M3 or 95 Lexus RX?

i have been in an 07 Escalade, so does this mean my opinion is right and everyone elses sucks? No.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ I meant 05 RX.. but that neither here nor there.

If I could get over 300hp for under 20k in a badass looking car like the f-body and it happened to be imported. Why would I pass that up? They just dont exist for that kind of price vs. performance in the imported category because American cars depreciate so much more than imports.

Can you find a late model 3000GT Vr4 that is under 40k miles for anything less than 25 thousand dollars honestly? no.. can you find a Supra TT for anything under 25-40k in excellent condition. no. What import can you even buy basically right now that can beat a 4th gen for under 20,000.. basically nothing. Would you HONESTLY rather have your f-body than a Supra TT? c'mon this is rediculous.

I'm sure these cars that supposedly are ranked high for "initial quality" are ranked that based that it's an American Car and they have improved ...... it's good for AMERICAN.

Nissan/Toyota/Honda > GM in quality.. thats fact. look at sales numbers. look at anything from consumer reports to JD Power & Associates.. ANYTHING. Imports are better cars, it's bottom line.

Our cars alone are constantly having to be modified to even do OTHER stuff like actually handle well. I'm sorry it's just dissapointing to me that after 50k miles people would even have to think to change their stock shocks cause they are shot, or add springs to get rid of FENDER GAPS... where was GM engineering on that one. or have to continually upgrade the suspension just to make it competent in anything other than fast in a straight line. Do you have that problem with somthing like an STI? EVO? Nope. They are built to be ALL AROUND CARs.

and I know everyone gonna hate this, but even corvettes... They are NOT luxury cars.. plastic all over the interior. it's just a pure all out performance type of car, but really rough around the edges.. this is why someone would buy a M6 instead of a Z06...

I'm out.