General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are the imports going to take over???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Quality, reliability which has been criticized as two of the most troublesome areas for American companies have improved a lot. What these companies need is a wise, aggressive marketing strategy to make the public fall in love with them again. Its as simple as that. If you look at the import car styling at this moment in time they are really putting ******* ugly cars out, I mean ugly as sin but people still buy them thinking they are making the "smart" choice. Then you see them drooling when, for example, I pass them in my Mag or TA........American car companies need to capitalize on this.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dec. 19, 2005 -- General Motors has been the world's No. 1 automaker since 1931. But GM's dominant position is eroding rapidly. Last year, Toyota surpassed Ford Motor Co. to become No. 2 in the global vehicle market. Some analysts predict Toyota will catch up to GM in two to three years. In November 2005, GM announced that over the next three years it plans to cut 30,000 jobs and reduce capacity by 30 percent from 2002 levels. We compare the global auto industry's two titans, with an emphasis on the U.S. and North American markets.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Toyota May Surpass GM in 2007 With Record Car Sales (Update7)
Old 12-23-2006, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite1
Dec. 19, 2005 -- General Motors has been the world's No. 1 automaker since 1931. But GM's dominant position is eroding rapidly. Last year, Toyota surpassed Ford Motor Co. to become No. 2 in the global vehicle market. Some analysts predict Toyota will catch up to GM in two to three years.
It hasn't happened yet, so by your logic GM is still the better company because they are still selling more cars.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep reading fucko. next link sums it up

GM is done for... Toyota will win..
Old 12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

are you illiterate?? do you read? can you grasp the concept of reading market reports..

go to forbes or somthing and learn a thing or two.

you must be KIDDING yourself

most the japanese makers dont make heavy duty trucks... how can they win in a market they dont even produce for.

i ASSURE you, if they actually tried to produce in these markets, they'd beat the Americans....

they do it in every other category.

I thought you were done? Why are you still spouting off this crap?

Toyota makes a full sized truck, why has it not surpassed GM or Ford?

And once again, if you'd read the JD Powers rankings I posted, you'd see that all asian auto companies are NOT beating GM in every catigory anymore.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

this thread makes me cry. first off, i dont kow about some, but i find this attractive

its totally subjective, but it looks nice, and feels nice inside, just was out of my price range.

fact- an evo8 runs a 13.9@102, where the same mag ran a 13.8@104 in a 1999 ss m6. now everyone knows mag running is just that, i persoanally ran a 13.3@106 bone stock in my a4, where my buddy ran a 13.1@103 basically launching from the rev limiter in his evo and droppign the hammer on a well prepped track. on stock turbos these cars are running 10's. there is a local guy running 10.9's at about 117mph. now with a larger turbo, a gt42 theres an evo running 9's. granted a camaro with boltons and sticky tires can ruin 11's and with a cam 10's.

my persoanly opinion, i like good looking cars, with the right wheels and good detailing skills, most cars can look good, even civics. the group i dont respect are those who bolt on a muffler and intake and think they can take o nteh world and are ignorant to anything around them, even members of this site. import or domestic, if i like it i like it, if i think it looks bad it does. it opinion based and no matter how much you try to sway opinion, there will be some one out there that wont agree with you.

fact-The J.D. Power 2006 Vehicle Dependability Survey reports that Mercury, Buick and Cadillac (in that order) grabbed the No. 2, 3 and 4 spots to beat Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW and everyone else (except Lexus) in having the least number of problems per 100 vehicles. try to ignore it or not, domestic product's quality is improving, and while there are still large strides to be made, they are making a concious effort to improve theri product. to me, im keeping my 4th gen for a every long time. im in the market for a beater/dd car at the moment. i first went to a toyota dealership to test drive a scion and a yaris, both of which i was not impressed with, i also test drove a kia, hyundai and a chevy. my favorite of all i test drove that day was the cobalt. it wasnt the ss because im not in the market for one, it was amanual base model coupe. nicely packaged interior, better than the camaro's i might add, more space inside (im 6-5 270lbs and i felt uncomfortable with the seat all teh way back) thing is im getting at is, loyalty is great and all, but when you turn an ignorant blind eye to one comapny or anyother because of where its from it just reffers back to prejudice. if one company makes a better car, i tip my hat to them. i can apreciate and aplaude a weld engineered good looking car. would i go and trade my car if i could for one, hell no. i love my camaro. while i was at the gm dealership, i was offered a straight trade on a brand new cobalt ss because the finance manager wanted my car, another dealer asked me if i wouild trade for a new vette below invoice, i refused both times because in my eye it looks good and does what i want it to, entertain me, go fast in a straightline, turn decently well, ttops (omfg i love them), look good, have leather, and did i mention go fast i na straight line?

bottom line is, your entitled to your opinion, and everyone has them, but when you bash a car based on where it was made, thats pretty gay. if i look at something like the style ill say so. now if a civic runs 10.8 thats great, would i want one, no, but i can respect the hard work and dedication one must give to break anything into the 10's

tehres my $.02
LS1Tech Administrator

keep reading fucko. next link sums it up

GM is done for... Toyota will win..
So now you're arguing for the future?

You crap is really not worth the time I've spent reading it.
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, RPM is right. theres a local toronto show(motoring 2006) and one of their segments was on the growing amount of asian car purchases in Southern Ont., the imports are probably outselling domestics 55%-45%. But one of the columnists said the same thing, car for car, they are almost the same now(quality wise) how they are built etc. I dont care what anyone says, a domestic WILL last as long as an Import.

You guys still have to realize that GM is STILL the worlds biggest car maker(Toyota I dont think will be able to catch them, but thats yet to be seen). And really GM puts in more R&D than any other, so theyre future is somewhat secure. I see another jump in tech. from GM pretty soon(next 2-3 yrs) thats like the jump in 1997. Its true too, my bros integra gsr uses more gas on the highway(than my GTP, let alone 32MPG+ in the TA) and city they are all about even. Ppl kinda get fooled into thinking more displacement means more gas, which is not always true. Trends and Fads!

Ricers are all over here! I live around the corner from one of the 2 top racing areas here and...ITS ALL RICE GUYS!!!! Theyre are groups of enthusiasts tho the neons(sry im mean sx 2.0s), stis, civics, acuras, gtps, rx7s(rarely tho) and I am usually the ONLY TA for miles! But let me tell you this, theres a big respect from everybody, infact Ive never had a ******** 17yo douche mouthing off before. The best part is, who has more probs with the cops? ....guys with a huge muffler, farting their way home

And lastly about the STi outhandling an F-Body, yeah it will more than likely, but AWD is helping your *** out, RWD is a DRIVERS car, more specifically the BEST config. for driving, power.....and shows DRIVER SKILL. Finite, get your facts straight and compare cars dollar for dollar as RPM says, theres a reason a maxima>impala its called PRICE, I have no doubts with the proper care, either car could reach 300k mis with no real problems
Old 12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DONE.............
Old 12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Hennytime

fact-The J.D. Power 2006 Vehicle Dependability Survey reports that Mercury, Buick and Cadillac (in that order) grabbed the No. 2, 3 and 4 spots to beat Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW and everyone else (except Lexus) in having the least number of problems per 100 vehicles. try to ignore it or not, domestic product's quality is improving
Nice that someone else notices the facts around here.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

DONE.............
Thank God.

Hey can I get some winning lotto numbers for '07 too?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keeping following it into 07'... they cant even keep up with the demand for camrys and accords.

lol
Old 12-23-2006, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Thank God.

Hey can I get some winning lotto numbers for '07 too?
for real, im sure toyota will surpase gm, but who the hell cares, thats liek saying walmart has better products because they make mroe stuff than target
Old 12-23-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if they SELL MORE they they are better... more people want them.

therefore, you're opinion is null and void

if I make a product, and more people want to buy IT over YOURS... then yep according the CONSUMER POPULATION.. I'm better
Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

DONE.............
keeping following it into 07'... they cant even keep up with the demand for camrys and accords.

lol
Old 12-23-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol @ Japanese beating out a US market in there own country.

its sad really.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Hennytime
for real, im sure toyota will surpase gm, but who the hell cares, thats liek saying walmart has better products because they make mroe stuff than target
LOL, yeah I know that's my point.

Finite1's arguement (at one point anyway) seemed to be that whatever the top selling car was, made it the best quality car/manufacturer. My point is, that's just silly, because by that logic GM would have been #1 in everything for the last 70+ years.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

if they SELL MORE they they are better... more people want them.

therefore, you're opinion is null and void

if I make a product, and more people want to buy IT over YOURS... then yep according the CONSUMER POPULATION.. I'm better
it doesnt mean it s a better product, by your reasoning a honda is better than a ferrari because it sells more units. look back in 70's when v8's died out. the economy was shitting out, gas prices rose and the emissions regulations killed all horsepower, i think the 1981 corvette had under 200bhp. its just a big cycle, fads come and go.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

lol @ Japanese beating out a US market in there own country.

its sad really.
Yeah, just about as sad as GM beating out asian companies in China.