General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Officially done, whats my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I dunno, I just think its really sad that everyone thinks my problems are normal maintenance issues. Of all the fords we have owned (dozen since I can remember) with high HARD miles on them (X cop cars), none of them have lost a fuel pump, noone of the 4.6's lost a water pump, and a couple lost auto trannies. I mean, I just dont think its right that fuel,water,wheelbearings,iac is all considered "maintenance items". You know why? Because the ownersmanual doesnt include them in the 100K mile schedual. Because they SHOULDNT go bad. I dunno, I am still pretty pissed.
I wouldn't call them regular maintenance items, but I would say that from time to time you're going to get a car from any manufacturer that will need some uncommon stuff to be replaced at what might seem like an early mileage compared to other cars.

I went through a lot of that stuff with my old daily driver Toyota. Hell, that car needed a water pump at 60k miles. And again at 120k miles. It happens.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/594260-f-body-electrical-problems.html

I feel so lied to
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're 21 now..

it's only going to cost 20 bucks to forget about 500 bucks for a day or two. I recommend tequila!

I had some problems with my GN, though it wasn't as new. But the problems I had were a little more serious. I spit the crank through the bottom of the block, I've rounded 2 cams (2 more rebuilds), I'm on my 4th turbo, 2nd set of heads, 3rd trans, LOTS of other stuff.. ignition modules, coil packs, alternators, 4th battery... I can't even list it all here. My mechanic at the time had a shelf dedicated to broken parts. Half of them were mine. I was scared to turn the key. I wish I had to change a wheel bearing and a fuel pump! (actually I did have to change my fuel pumps)

I've had my Z for 25k now, it's at 95k.. I've changed the brakes once, a few of the lights (brake, turn signal), and I put gas in it. Under warranty I had a window motor done, and had the rear end rebuilt (I didn't even know it was bad, the mechanic said he heard it make a noise when he drove it so they checked and said the tolerances were too loose or something). I've done lid, headers, exhaust.. and will be doing heads and cam this spring. I've been lucky so far imo.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stuff breaks, it is in every mechanical item, so many variations that can cause things to go wrong too.

Just after I bought my TA the tranny in my GTP blew, I knew it would eventually but not in the way it did, to all people it happened to it was with my wife, and it was when she was barely accelerating around someone, I even looked back on the scan she had going(yes she knows how to scan the car! She is awsome! ) and it verified she never went over 25% of the pedal. At this point I was pissed, the car only had 146k miles (just barely breaking in that 3.8 ) and the tranny blew, it never showed a single sign of it getting weak at all. I almost threw in the towel on the Grand Prix market when it happened and my dad bascially told me the same thing above. I was more pissed that his Grand Am he bought new went 269k miles (still going) on its auto three speed with regular filter changes and never broke and here mine his 120k miles shy of that and it goes.

$3k later, car has a built tranny, that I expect to outlive the life of the car now.

When I bought the TA, like you, I did research, looked at the problems the car could have, things that could break, options etc. I almost bought a Auto TA but was wanting a M6 in my mind. As put in the newbie guide, I bought the destroyer of rear-ends the T-56. When my Rear end blows up on me, I will look forward to the options I put in it and be excited to put it in. My method is, if it breaks once under normal conditions, just make it stronger so it won't do it again!

From the sounds of it, you decided you will keep the car, it will be worth it when you have the new parts in it and you go to stomp on it after riding in the slower car. Just use better parts than were originally in there.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Just use better parts than were originally in there.
which is why we have all thoes great sponsors!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Good luck on finding what will be good for you. Be sure to research your next car well. You want to know what you are buying. J/K
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just decide what you're going to do. Saying that you were lied to or assuming we knew your car was going to be a lemon is ridiculous and insulting. You had a bad experience, so what, it could be 10x worse and have nothing to do with a car. It sucks it happened to you because you did a ton of research, but it happens. Make a decision and live with it.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Trust
It sucks it happened to you because you did a ton of research, but it happens.

Used cars are always a risk. Even if it was reliable for the previous owner, you could still end up with the bad luck of buying it right when a group of parts decide to fail.

No warranty = gamble. Sometimes (many times) buying used means you'll get a great car at a great deal, if you know what you're looking for and know what the real value is. But then sometimes even if you know the type of car better than your own face, you can still get fucked. If you can't handle the gamble, stick to buying new cars and add the extended warranty. Then sell the car when all warranty coverage is over.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've driven my Z28 from 41k to 96k with only two problems, crankshaft position sensor and knock sensor. And I've beat on it pretty hard too.

Also, my dad's 98 T100 Toyota, the steering rack went out at 50k miles, luckily he got an extended warranty. My sister's 2003 Acura RSX has more squeaks and rattles than my Z28, and has half as many miles. And the leather seats in that car look worn to ****, much worse than my Z28.

I'd buy another one of these cars in a heartbeat, I've never been stranded by my Z28. GM makes some good, and some pretty bad cars too. Any truck with a V8, V8 sports cars, and their sedans with the 3.8 V6 are all excellent products.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by AronZ28
GM makes some good, and some pretty bad cars too. Any truck with a V8, V8 sports cars, and their sedans with the 3.8 V6 are all excellent products.
Agreed!

I can personally attest to both the V8 sports cars and the 3.8L V6s being excellent.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

man you have had some horrid luck with that car ..i mean i have 98 ta that i got for 6k with a interior fire and had everything replaced. got 84k on it and the only thing i have ever had trouble with was my stock rear end and tranny before i updated the trans. but thats do to me driving up hell at the track So far i have no major defects knock on wood.i thaught they was a thing were if you baught a car and had to get it worked on so many times that the dealer would replace it I think it was called the LEMON law .might want to check into it .But good luck which ever brand you go with
Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ls1chris
i thaught they was a thing were if you baught a car and had to get it worked on so many times that the dealer would replace it I think it was called the LEMON law .might want to check into it .
That doesn't apply to a used car with 75K miles though, as in this case.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

This seems more like a ford>chevy thread even though you said you had no brand loyalty. Mines ran fine so far, even after it totaled a caddy. In my mind the biggest POS eva...A ford taurus...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

I dont care what kinda car it is your always goin to have a few lemons but Ive had 3 F bodies and the other hundreds of people on here love them. Comming on here bashing them isnt going to change anyones view of them on this board. You dont wanna own a GM LS1 car thats fine but your not accomplishing anything by comming on here after you got rid of the car and bashing them. It would be different if something crapped out and you wanted help fixing it. But this is just like me joining a Honda board and saying "All your POS hondas suck" And I remember you posting about you hitting the rev limiter or something and going way past the redline and were worried about bent pushrods. Not saying in all cases but sometimes its not the car its the user/mechanic that messes the car up.... Good luck with w/e you end up with and hope you have better luck
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

lol BLKWS.6 posts more topics about his car than the spammers do with sex cameras and drugs.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
lol BLKWS.6 posts more topics about his car than the spammers do with sex cameras and drugs.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
WHAT!? I want to see this "sex camera" Why dont I ever see those threads!?

Well, i am pleased. for my 21st birthday (today) Dad said he will take care of the TA for me. If he is fixing it, im shutting up. Says he is using AC delco stuff on it and thats gravy with me. Anyways, I will be in the GT for a while and then I get the car back. I feel better, that and I just bought some beer, only had 1 b/c im trying to cut back on carbs and beer sucks in that respect. Anywho, they didnt even card me so much for right of passage. Anyways, I should have it back with new water pump and new fuel pump in a week or two. Also he is buying me a lid. Did I mention my cars **** luck was offset being born into the custody of an awesome dad? yeah, +1 for dad!

Anyways, my mundane 21st is coming to an end soon, time for bed in a bit. Peace.

-my closest-to-journal-entry-ever post
Old 01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just figure this no point in trying to argue with him, just let him cry. He bought a car with 75k on it, **** happens. Ive had GM ford, and even the all mighty honda i had for a short while had problems at 75k. My stangs radiator cracked, as did the intake manifold, and that was with 35k on it. I replaced a fuel pump at 65k in the stang, replaced a fuel pump at 70k in the old trans am. It's not a new car by year or mileage, **** happens just get the **** over it. If you want something that works perfect, by a brand new one so you can bitch at someone else whenever it breaks and have the warranty fix it. But thats not worth the extra 20k to me so ya know what i do???....****** DEAL WITH IT!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

try liquar less carbs and it dont take as much to make you feel REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
try liquar less carbs and it dont take as much to make you feel REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

True, I could. To Swang: Damn dude, have you ever bought something that everyone said was all but flawless except for a few quirks (piston slap, slight oil usage--I dont mind those) and it grenade on you all at once? I mean, beign a college student and FINALLY GETTING MY DREAM CAR! and my roommates laughing b/c its falling apart...can you feel my irritation...just a LITTLE? C'mon...But yes, its being handled and I am greatful and maybe this is the end of the ****. I can hope!