General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just a rant!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just a rant!

Why do auto makers keep putting useless junk on cars. Get rid of power everything except ABS and cut down the cost.

I see no real need for:
1. drive buy wire systems
2. power locks ( just lazy)
3. power windows
4. power seats
5. power mirrors
6. set heaters/coolers (suck it up)
7. auto dimming mirrors
8. traction control ( learn to drive)
9. cup holders
10. auto headlights (get rid of the switch and/or sensor, they should come on when the car is on and go off with the car)
11. head lights that move/rotate
12. nav systems (pay attention to the road)
13. stabilty systems (learn to drive)
14. auto trannys with gear selectors/ paddle shifters (other than PRDNL)
15. dvd players
16. leather anything
17. sound deading materials (weight savings)
18. huge sound systems (no one needs 10 speakers, 4 at the most w/deletion option)
19. wheels bigger than 15 or 16 inch (the bigger you go the worse the ride gets and performance is slower)
20. A/C (4-55 A/C, 4 windows 55mph)
21. Onstar (help I am a dumbass and l locked myself in the car)
22. sat radio (why pay I get it for free now?)
23. cars that parallel park themselves ( what happens when the computer goes crazy and tries this at 65mph?)
24. hi-feature DOHC engines (save money use push-rods and who cares about NVH standards. "This engine makes 400hp, gets 60mpg will last a million miles but it sucks because it does not have a silky smooth idle.")
25. any type of I-drive or touch screen controls
26. climate control ( instead of turning one *** i have to push 14 different buttons to do the same thing)
27. auto wipers ( they never stay at one speed even if I do and the rain doesnt change)
28. electronic suspension ( I always hear how it controls the vehicle better, maybe someone should have checked the valving on the stock shocks)

Any others I have missed?

*edit- fixed #4 to say seats

Last edited by J's99Zrated; 02-07-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically you want stripper z28 camaros from the factory except for every single car made? That almost makes sense...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 PM
NKAWTG...N

Just because you don't want these things, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Luckily most cars have options on them. so when you find a car you want just order it without all that junk on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

The problems is unless I am buying a Kia most cars have some of these items as standard options that you cant get rid of.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, WTF?! When I was in highschool ALL WE DID! when we rolled around was practice rolling down manual windows while keeping our upper bodies still and trying to roll it down as smoothly as possible at JUST the right speed.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with this for the most part, but I do like power locks, windows, & mirrors. I also like my 17 inch wheels.

Wait! You forgot a few. Heated steering wheels, heated & cooled cupholders, back-up sensors, back-up cameras, and push-button closing liftgates. And you can't forget distance-sensing cruise control.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by J's99Zrated
20. A/C (4-55 A/C, 4 windows 55mph)

Try sitting in a 2 hour traffic jam on the commute home every day moving along at a brisk 5-10mph when it's 90*F outside with a bright sun and 95% humidity, with no A/C.

Hell, maybe that's your idea of fun. Not me. Not ever.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Speaking of windows, after window problems in all 3 of my camaros, I have a hate for power windows. This is the reason I put it at the top of my list.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Resident

ford did this. it was called the model T. guess what happened? GM came around, offered new colors and options and ford tanked. then they had to start offering options just to compete.

cars have options because people will pay for them. while i don't find them all necessary, i need at the very least a CD player (aftermarket, non-OEM preferred, so maybe it doesn't count) and i NEED gear selection for an automatic. the fact that i can manually shift my car is what made me get an automatic. i probably would have bought an M6 and would have just dealt with it if i couldn't manually select my gears when the urge hit.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

power locks are a must, emergencies happen, and I don't want to **** around with a key...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude....why rant about options....not every car has these standard and you arent forced to buy stuff with all of these options, i think onstar is a very good thing for people with medical conditions. it keeps all their medical records on file and if they are in a wreck, onstar contacts the right people and gets their medical work to them...its a nice feature...i want a seat heater, and if im willing to pay for it, i can get it...same with climate control...most cars arent standard with it...people buy it cuz they want it. chill out.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do auto makers keep putting useless junk on cars. Get rid of power everything except ABS and cut down the cost.

I see no real need for:
1. drive buy wire systems Why not?
2. power locks ( just lazy) Easier to wire to alarms
3. power windows Way nicer esp in sedans and any car you can't reach other window.
4. power sets You mean power seats?
5. power mirrors It saves time to adjust them
6. set heaters/coolers (suck it up) No. It's cozy.
7. auto dimming mirrors Great for night driving and early morns
8. traction control ( learn to drive) ummm yea, old wives tale.
9. cup holders One of the best features ever.
10. auto headlights (get rid of the switch and/or sensor, they should come on when the car is on and go off with the car) Some places legally require them and its never bad to have them on, some people forget to use them and thank goodness these are there because of morons on the road.
11. head lights that move/rotate That idea is slick and from the 30s did you know that?
12. nav systems (pay attention to the road) So you know every area ever and can forsee traffic jams?
13. stabilty systems (learn to drive) You don't understand this if thats your reasoning to why they arn't needed.
14. auto trannys with gear selectors/ paddle shifters (other than PRDNL) It helps sell cars, a novelty at best.
15. dvd players Shuts up kids in mini vans
16. leather anything Why? leather is pimp and cozy.
17. sound deading materials (weight savings) Everyone loves rumbles....
18. huge sound systems (no one needs 10 speakers, 4 at the most w/deletion option) Why I love my music, and i'm not even a car audiofile.
19. wheels bigger than 15 or 16 inch (the bigger you go the worse the ride gets and performance is slower) No.... Style aside just no.
20. A/C (4-55 A/C, 4 windows 55mph) it gets loud and in some areas it smells
21. Onstar (help I am a dumbass and l locked myself in the car) It's a comfort feature
22. sat radio (why pay I get it for free now?) Give your self 2 months of X-M and go back I dare you
23. cars that parallel park themselves ( what happens when the computer goes crazy and tries this at 65mph?) Yea.... read up on the system it won't happen
24. hi-feature DOHC engines (save money use push-rods and who cares about NVH standards. "This engine makes 400hp, gets 60mpg will last a million miles but it sucks because it does not have a silky smooth idle.") What, are you wow....
25. any type of I-drive or touch screen controls It's an ease issue
26. climate control ( instead of turning one *** i have to push 14 different buttons to do the same thing) No, you can still do it off one **** depending car
27. auto wipers ( they never stay at one speed even if I do and the rain doesnt change) Car feels/looks cleaner inside with out a stalk
28. electronic suspension ( I always hear how it controls the vehicle better, maybe someone should have checked the valving on the stock shocks) It can adapt for driving, I want you to try adjusting your shocks mid drive.

Any others I have missed?
Wow, I like rants and all but I'm about to go on a rant about how little you understand marketing and cars.

Sweet god I feel like I just read one of those newspaper clipping notes murderss write.

You want a race car gutted great, while your at it why not pull your air bag and fill it with nails, it'll be less sissy.

Honestly, all of this is just stunningly and blantenly off the wall.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

So I guess you think that everyone is the same. We all want the same uncomfortable, hot, loud on the inside, rough riding, cookie cutter cars. I bet you think that people should be able to have any color they want as long as it's black, or maybe even white. Then you can either every color, or non at all. Dude, where do you come up with this ****. People aren't made on an assembly line with the same parts. I happen to like the option to make my car what ever I want. Infact, I want more options. Now I could agree with you in you wanted every one of those to be options on cars and not all standard, or at least have a delete option. But the reason they have things as standard on cars is some people get overwhelmed by too many options. Maybe your one of those people, you can't deside what you want, so no one can have anything. I wish it was like the 60's with 50 different engine options, and then you could have option packages if you didn't want to have to shose everything. But seriously, everyone having to have the same thing sounds a little to much like communism...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

While some of things in that list are crazy the basic idea is not that far off. Try to walk into a dealer and get a plain jane pick up for lets say work. I know it's hard to imaganine but pick ups were used for work once. While for a work truck a cd player, ac and maybe even power locks and windows would be nice you could lose 4 speakers the carpet maybe go with rubber and all the other little bells and whistles. This truck you won't find on the dealer lot it will have to be special ordered $$ . It's one thing to have all the bells and crap on a luxury car or minivan but they do go over board with some stuff.Oh well just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

There are some really good replies. I guess I should have made myself a little more clear, I want to be able to buy a car with out all stuff on certain models. I understand that some people will want or have a use for these items. I just dont need most of these things. When I went to look at new Monte Carlo it came with a lot of the items I listed on the base model:
LS 1LS
MSRP* $21,630.00 Air conditioning: front manual, single-zone (dont want but end up paying for)
Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD player and auxiliary audio input jack
Brakes: four-wheel disc
Cruise control (dont want but end up paying for)
Door locks: power, programmable, include lockout protection (dont want but end up paying for)
Engine: 3.5L V6 with Variable Valve Timing
Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable (dont want but end up paying for)
Seat controls: driver, six-way power-adjustable (dont want but end up paying for)
Seating surfaces: Cloth
Spoiler: rear, decklid
Suspension: Touring
Transmission: four-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive
Wheels: 16-inch, steel with deluxe bolt-on wheel covers
Windows: power with driver's Express-Down feature and rear-passenger lockout (dont want but end up paying for)

The biggest thing I wanted was the 5.3 engine but I would have to buy the SS package for 8 grand more when I only want the engine upgrade.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are some really good replies. I guess I should have made myself a little more clear, I want to be able to buy a car with out all stuff on certain models. I understand that some people will want or have a use for these items. I just dont need most of these things. When I went to look at new Monte Carlo it came with a lot of the items I listed on the base model:
LS 1LS
MSRP* $21,630.00 Air conditioning: front manual, single-zone (dont want but end up paying for)
Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD player and auxiliary audio input jack
Brakes: four-wheel disc
Cruise control (dont want but end up paying for)
Door locks: power, programmable, include lockout protection (dont want but end up paying for)
Engine: 3.5L V6 with Variable Valve Timing
Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable (dont want but end up paying for)
Seat controls: driver, six-way power-adjustable (dont want but end up paying for)
Seating surfaces: Cloth
Spoiler: rear, decklid
Suspension: Touring
Transmission: four-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive
Wheels: 16-inch, steel with deluxe bolt-on wheel covers
Windows: power with driver's Express-Down feature and rear-passenger lockout (dont want but end up paying for)

The biggest thing I wanted was the 5.3 engine but I would have to buy the SS package for 8 grand more when I only want the engine upgrade.
Ahh you just worded your self poorly it's all good and I understand what you mean now.

Heck for me, I'm same way I want to make my own car but the option kits are nice too as it lets less car savy people get cool/ cozier packages.

too bad they don't offer a stripper for the monte.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Resident

whoa, did the OP seriously say cup holders are useless? if anything, it's a cell phone holder. it's the most useful part of my car's interior.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

You just went through the Lexus option list. Without people wanting these creature comforts I'd be out of a job . Seriously, after driving lexus's daily I would love to have one as a DD. Sure they'd make a shitty race car, but thats why I have my camaro. Not everybody thinks the way you do, espically the Lexus customers I deal with everyday.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

I agree tho that individual options should be available on any car of that model(ie the 5.3 in a base car without any added options). The use of packages might save money on the assy line and help sort the ordering of optional pieces.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm w NDFORSPD. It sure would be nice to pick individual options off a list. But packages make it easier 4 the manufacturers. I think most car entusiasts would rather be able to get the best engine, w/out all that comes w it. But sadly we are a small percentage of the car buying population.

I almost ordered a Z28 in 2002. I was pissed cause I basically wanted the LS1, T56, AC, CD and cruise(no power locks,windows,tcs, t-tops,leather,ground effects--just speed). Problem was cruise came w a $3,000 package w power options. It is very fustrating to pay thousands of dollars for options you do not want, just to get a minor option that would be a serious pain to get aftermarket.

I ended up ordering an 04 Silverado. I got the stripper, 2wd, crank windows, rubber floor (I wanted that), manual locks. All I wanted was the v8 and manual trans. The bummer...I could only get the 4.8 w the 5-speed. F that..... Well I ended up lowering it via Hotchkis TVS, putting on the SS grille and 20s, and blacked out the bumpers (the truck was black). Point is I still had to build to suit me as I couldn;t pick the options I wanted.

I ended up selling it on Ebay last year and scooping up my Z28-same week. Ultimately I could not build the truck into the Z28 I couldn't afford to insure in 2002,3, or 4 (I turned 25 last year). The truck just was not and could never be a camaro, especially on an autocross course....

Wow, this kinda turned into a rant. My point is it would have been nice to be able to order the car I wanted back in 02. I understand GM is there to make a buck. But why not make buying an enthusiast car (like a Camaro) easier for us enthusiasts.

Thanks for listening.
I'm Shaun Mahaffey....and I'm a caraholic.