General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have all things considered equal
F body
70.81%
GTO
29.19%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Should I get an LS1 F body or a GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had this same problem, so I bought a C5
Old 05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

GTO is a better car, though no t-tops or 'vert.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8TOR
GTO is a better car
It is?

I think it's just a more expensive car with a nicer interior to go with the higher base price.

A better car overall though? (value, style, potential, fun factor, etc.).... Not IMO.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

i liked the F-Bod waaay more i drove a brand new GTO when i had my red Z-28 and was very much not impressed.the seats were nice but i have no need for all the info center and all the stuff they put in there. plus my stock 98 Z-28 was faster. also i saw no reason to pay almost 30k for something i wasn't thrilled about. when i paid 10500 for the Z-28. as far as a C5 would go i couldn't afford one, and the bolton F-bodies smoke both the C5 and the GTO.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO is better
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL, well, after having been in a couple GTOs I agree that they have a nicer quailty interior, but I don't know if I'd go THAT far (Happy Meal... funny though ).

In 1998, a Camaro with the Z28 Preferred Equipment Group stickered for $22,046. How many other new cars in '98 could you buy for just a hair over $22k that were any nicer quality than an F-body and could run mid 13s stock? I think the interior quality level in the F-bodies is right on par with where it should be for a car in that price range that also offers such outstanding performance for a stock car.
Oh I know, my interior is fine with me and for the price it is great. In comparison to the GTO's interior, I would say my analysis is fair. Although, like you said, the GTO's had better be better for the price you pay.

To be fair to my F-body, in comparison to my DD truck's interior, the F-body makes the truck's interior look horrifying.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GTO's are nice cars for sure, but for the money, you could get a nice FRC C5, or even a C5 ZO6.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

id say get the ls1 fbody
Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

The GTO is a better car. Even the newest of F-bodies is approaching 6 years old.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

The F-Body is a better car.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trust
GTO's are nice cars for sure, but for the money, you could get a nice FRC C5, or even a C5 ZO6.

Z06 for less than 20k?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by StealthZ06
The GTO is a better car. Even the newest of F-bodies is approaching 6 years old.
Since when does newer automatically = better?

GTO gives you a little more quality in the interior department, but you also pay more for that improvement. You're not getting more dollar for dollar with the GTO, you're just getting more because you pay more.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I like the F-Body over the GTO.

While the GTO may be more comfortable and of higher quality, it just doesnt have that muslce car feel. There's something mean looking about a nice F-Body. Something about these cars just says "I'm going to tear you a new ******* and you're going to LIKE it," and I think that's a lot of what makes the car fun.

That's what's important isnt it? How much you actually ENJOY your car? While the LS1 may be a bit slower and a bit cheaper, it's still a hell of a car and it always turns heads. The GTO kind of reminds me of a Grand Am to be honest. It just doesn't have the "hot DAMN" factor.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

c5 vette, compromise!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

Since when does newer automatically = better?

GTO gives you a little more quality in the interior department, but you also pay more for that improvement. You're not getting more dollar for dollar with the GTO, you're just getting more because you pay more.
Since always. Generally today's cars are faster get better mileage require less maintenence. Fourth gens faster than third, ls1>lt1 etc. The ls1 will get crappy over time like the lt1 is becoming now. Even my 40k mile Lt1 is getting junky because it's a dozen years old. Everything just wears out. The ls1 will follow in another five years or so. You do pay more for a newer car, but that's exactly it, it's a newer car. It will be in better shape longer than a "cheaper" ls1. Basing a choice on dolar for dollar without factoring out how cars depreciatre is dumb. Buy an 80s 4bolt main car and spray it with a 250 shot...for dolar for dollar value. I mean the ls1 gives you a little more quality in the whatever department, but you also pay more for that. You're not getting more dollar for dollar with the ls1, you're just getting more because you pay more.

Sure there are some nice ls1 cars and there will always be some nice ls1 cars but don't make a car decision like this. You said you're looking for a used car from a 2002-2006? and it's 07, but I say wait for the 2009 camaro if you got the coin, it looks promising. But just look at everything form a more practical sense. The life left in the car is factored in with the "lower" price and you get what you pay for. A better interior (etc) don't mean **** to me anyway, but good luck in your car search. If I could have a GTO or Fbod I would take the GTO.

Last edited by zo6iscool; 05-15-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by zo6iscool
Since always. Generally today's cars are faster get better mileage require less maintenence. Fourth gens faster than third, ls1>lt1 etc. The ls1 will get crappy over time like the lt1 is becoming now. Even my 40k mile Lt1 is getting junky because it's a dozen years old. Everything just wears out. The ls1 will follow in another five years or so. You do pay more for a newer car, but that's exactly it, it's a newer car. It will be in better shape longer than a "cheaper" ls1. Basing a choice on dolar for dollar without factoring out how cars depreciatre is dumb. Buy an 80s 4bolt main car and spray it with a 250 shot...for dolar for dollar value. I mean the ls1 gives you a little more quality in the whatever department, but you also pay more for that. You're not getting more dollar for dollar with the ls1, you're just getting more because you pay more.
'04 GTO vs '02 F-body. That's a two year difference, with the same engine. Neither one makes the other look "outdated" in terms of power or technology. So what makes the newer one better? Because it has nicer interior quality? If that's the case, there are plenty of cars that are a few years older than the GTO with even nicer interiors, but they are even more expensive. Does that make them better? Not necessarily, all depends on what you want the car for and which two cars you're comparaing. That was my point.

An "80s 4bolt main car" has nothing to do with it. That is a silly comparasion and it makes no sense. All of your comparasions are about cars from different eras. That's not the case with the last of the F-bodies and the first of the GTOs.

If you follow the logic that anything newer and/or more expensive is always better, then any car is junk just as soon as the newer model comes out to replace it. Truth is, F-body and GTO aren't really in the same catagory of vehicle so it's really hard to say that one is "better" since they tend to suit different needs, but at least they are from the same era. Trying to directly compare a 25 year old SBC car to something built in the last 5 years is silly.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
But now I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a 2005-2006 GTO?
Only if you want a slightly slower, slightly worse gas mileage (LS2 GTO's 17/25 vs. LS1 F-Body's 19/28), less attractive looking car than the F-Body for more money. Give them a few more years and people won't be saying that they are better quality than F-Bodies.

Again, the F-Body is a better car. Carry the dispute from this worthless thread onto any type of track, the street, performance garage, or any car show; in ANY arena, the F-Body will clean up. It's not a lot better, and the GTO isn't a bad car at all; the F-Body is just better.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

'04 GTO vs '02 F-body. That's a two year difference, with the same engine. Neither one makes the other look "outdated" in terms of power or technology. So what makes the newer one better? Because it has nicer interior quality? If that's the case, there are plenty of cars that are a few years older than the GTO with even nicer interiors, but they are even more expensive. Does that make them better? Not necessarily, all depends on what you want the car for and which two cars you're comparaing. That was my point.

An "80s 4bolt main car" has nothing to do with it. That is a silly comparasion and it makes no sense. All of your comparasions are about cars from different eras. That's not the case with the last of the F-bodies and the first of the GTOs.

If you follow the logic that anything newer and/or more expensive is always better, then any car is junk just as soon as the newer model comes out to replace it. Truth is, F-body and GTO aren't really in the same catagory of vehicle so it's really hard to say that one is "better" since they tend to suit different needs, but at least they are from the same era. Trying to directly compare a 25 year old SBC car to something built in the last 5 years is silly.
im because you just read what was written here by everyone and interpret it correctly...im not trying to be mean but you simply didn't get anything I wrote...but I don't want to turn this into a flaming thread so just read everything again and read this quote and go till you understand everything i tried to say...i would respond to your questions I think they're at me? by what I wrote yesterday at 10:40. I should have known not to question the mighty ls1 or fbod on ls1tech I'll wait till the next big thing comes out and evryone moves to it. zo6iscool out.
He said 05-06 gto btw not 04.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by zo6iscool
im because you just read what was written here by everyone and interpret it correctly...im not trying to be mean but you simply didn't get anything I wrote...but I don't want to turn this into a flaming thread so just read everything again and read this quote and go till you understand everything i tried to say...i would respond to your questions I think they're at me? by what I wrote yesterday at 10:40. I should have known not to question the mighty ls1 or fbod on ls1tech I'll wait till the next big thing comes out and evryone moves to it. zo6iscool out.
He said 05-06 gto btw not 04.

Your post today makes about as much sense as your post yesterday did. Both come in at a big 0.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Fbody. Looks 10000X better, GTO has the same weak points as an Fbody (i.e. rear) but the Fbody has aftermarket rears ready to go. Oh and did I mention the looks?

Quick Reply: Should I get an LS1 F body or a GTO?