General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I shed a tear today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 560SL

For one thing, they weren't "over $30,000" like you say. Most of them were in the $25-27k range.
you're right, i didn't say OVER $30,000. i said $30,000. the MSRP for the mustangs were $26K. they sold OVER MSRP. it's called dealer markup. the C6 ZO6 has an MSRP of 75K. care to tell me why they sell over 80K from dealerships? because of markup!

Also, who actually sells their cars by private party value?
private party value is the ONLY accurate gauge of what the car is worth. dealer values ARE NOT accurate. dealer trade-in value is a lot less than what the car is worth. value of a used car off of a dealer lot is NOT accurate because there is markup involved when you buy from a dealer AWLAYS. private party value is the accurate value of what your car is worth.

Get real man.
i suggest you get real. you're absolutely clueless about everything you're talking about. it's pretty funny.

I stood at a dealer auction two weeks ago and watched over 10 '05+ Mustangs roll through (everything from base V6s to leaded GTs) and bring full retail book. These cars are retaining value VERY well. You still didn't bring up '03 Cobra prices. I see them selling for $26k+ for 30k mile cars. If you have a low mile, stock example, you can get over what guys paid for them brand new 4 years ago.
and full retail value is still over $7,000 less than their value was 3 years ago. again, HUGE depreciation.

What's with calling me a Mustang fanboy? I enjoy cars for cars. It doesn't matter what kind. My buddy has a badass Procharged LS1 SS and that thing is awesome. I love LS1s, just like I love Mustangs and everything else with 4 wheels. As long as it looks good, goes fast, turns well, or does all three, it's alright in my book!
people that buy mustangs usually have a skewed sense of reality. you sound like a mustang fanboy to me. a car that loses 25% of its value in 3 years isn't holding its value that well. civics hold their value better.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm....well this has drifted off BUT I recently used one of those new-fangled laser car washers that don't touch you and it worked fine for me. (Of course birds **** all over my poor T/A the next morning but hey what can you do)
Old 06-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Hey, "ChocoTaco," your car books for all of $12,100 with 70k miles using private party value. And yes, I was generous and gave your lame base Formula all of the options, which it probably doesn't even have. I gave it an excellent condition rating on everything. Wow, still $12,100 and some change. What'd your car window sticker for? $20k+ right? That's horrible depreciation. I doubt you could even get 12 for it considering it's a purple, automatic base version. What an exciting car!

'03-'04 Cobras aren't depreciating anything significant at all. The cars are SELLING for full retail book everywhere! Yes, that "dealer only" book that nothing sells at. I see it all the time, even at dealer actions they bring way more than "left side" book and sometimes if the car is nice enough, they bring full retail. I'm a car dealer for ****'s sake, I've owned several examples of Mustangs and F-bodies. I can buy F-bodies ALL DAY for dirt cheap (especially the bare bones versions like yours) at auctions, as well as the less desiriable Mustangs (older GTs and such). The higher end WS6/SS/Firehawk models being way more, but they can still be had for trade-in all the time. However, I can't touch new Mustangs or newer Cobras because they break the bank at sales and there's no money to be made in reselling them.

Mustang owners/fans have "a skewed sense of reality?" Wow, that's an incredibly stupid thing to say considering that I don't even own a Mustang and I'm FAR from a "fanboy." I'm surprised you could even type that out with your head so far up your ***.

I find it funny that you think I'm "clueless", when you and "ONEBADASSWS6" are pretty much the jokes and embarassments of this website. Are you just pissed off because you can get out of the 13s? Nice blazing 13.6 pass in your bolt-on LS1. Is that even possible?

Take it easy, I'm done with this little debate because it's plainer than day that you don't know your dick from a doorknob when it comes to cars.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Resident

Hey, "ChocoTaco," your car books for all of $12,100 with 70k miles using private party value. And yes, I was generous and gave your lame base Formula all of the options, which it probably doesn't even have. I gave it an excellent condition rating on everything. Wow, still $12,100 and some change. What'd your car window sticker for? $20k+ right? That's horrible depreciation. I doubt you could even get 12 for it considering it's a purple, automatic base version. What an exciting car!
my car has all options but leather. it has 40k on the clock. it's worth about $12,300 private party. that means the value has fallen $10,000 in 7 years. your mustang that you speak of has fallen $10,000 in 3 years. you have to understand that my car off the lot was selling for $7,000 less than the mustang in question. this means mine has proportionally fallen A LOT less. get it? or would you continue to take the argument more out of context?

'03-'04 Cobras aren't depreciating anything significant at all. The cars are SELLING for full retail book everywhere! Yes, that "dealer only" book that nothing sells at. I see it all the time, even at dealer actions they bring way more than "left side" book and sometimes if the car is nice enough, they bring full retail. I'm a car dealer for ****'s sake, I've owned several examples of Mustangs and F-bodies. I can buy F-bodies ALL DAY for dirt cheap (especially the bare bones versions like yours) at auctions, as well as the less desiriable Mustangs (older GTs and such). The higher end WS6/SS/Firehawk models being way more, but they can still be had for trade-in all the time. However, I can't touch new Mustangs or newer Cobras because they break the bank at sales and there's no money to be made in reselling them.
1.) '03-'04 cobras have depreciated just like any other car.
2.) '03-'04 cobras were produced in very small quantities compared to all other mustangs.

'03-'04 cobras are a niche market. they do not fit in to the argument at hand.

again, continue taking the argument out of context.

Mustang owners/fans have "a skewed sense of reality?" Wow, that's an incredibly stupid thing to say considering that I don't even own a Mustang and I'm FAR from a "fanboy." I'm surprised you could even type that out with your head so far up your ***.
i know plenty of mustang fans. mustang fans have a huge inferiority complex. it's probably because the mustang GT is still being whooped on by 10+ year old LS1 cars stock for stock.

I find it funny that you think I'm "clueless", when you and "ONEBADASSWS6" are pretty much the jokes and embarassments of this website. Are you just pissed off because you can get out of the 13s? Nice blazing 13.6 pass in your bolt-on LS1. Is that even possible?
notice i don't have any real mods done to my car. that's because i choose not to put any money into it. i ran the car when it was bone stock with a catback and aftermarket rims/tires. basically, whatever performance gained from the catback was canceled out from the heavy rims/tires. is a 13.6 a good time? i don't care. i've only been to the track once.

i think it's funny when people say "are you pissed because you can't get out of the 13's?" how can i be pissed when i've never tried to get out of the 13's? the only people i feel sorry for are the people that dump all their money into their car. they bitch that they have no more money to spend on mods for their car because they've already spent all their money on mods. there's nothing more pathetic than a guy with no money because he dumped it all into a car. and for what? to run faster than a guy with a stock version and to fry transmissions/clutches/rear ends on a yearly basis. i'm proud i'm in the camp of guys on this site with self control.

Take it easy, I'm done with this little debate because it's plainer than day that you don't know your dick from a doorknob when it comes to cars.
the only thing "plainer than day" is that you still have no idea what you're talking about. as for me being an "embarrassment" to the site, tell that to the literally hundreds and hundreds of guys that PM me asking me questions/advice about things. my poor, little embarrassing *** is quite a big contributer to the community, and i'm happy to be of assistance where i can be. i suggest you "assist" the community by removing yourself from it :yawn:
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

WOW!!! All this hatred and hostility over a simple comment about an automatic car wash. I say to each his own.

I have worked and paid for every penny of every car I have owned since I was 16. I have handwashed and took as good of care of my first car, a 1991 ragged out Mustang I got in high school, to the brand new 1998 WS6 I drove off the lot in college that I still own today.

Who really cares how others wash thier cars. It is your car, wash it/care for it as you wish. It affects no one elses life. He was simply giving his opinion when he started the post. No need to slam him for it.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=560SL

Take it easy, I'm done with this little debate because it's plainer than day that you don't know your dick from a doorknob when it comes to cars. [/QUOTE]

By ONEBADASSWS6 are talking about me because you got the name wrong, and with this little debate is because you actually have 3 people running **** at you that you cant handle by yourself because we are right and face it, you are wrong
Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

You could also bring it up to the '03-'04 Cobra owners that bought their cars new for $29k and can still sell them for close to that...possibly over that amount if the miles are low and the car is stock.
I seem to remember sticker price being around $37,000 for one. Just checked Ebay and people are only bidding $15,000-$20,000. Be real here. You're taking best case scenario's for the new buyer and best case scenarios for the seller.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

i know plenty of mustang fans. mustang fans have a huge inferiority complex. it's probably because the mustang GT is still being whooped on by 10+ year old LS1 cars stock for stock.

That sums up all the moosewang guys I have ever came across!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I seem to remember sticker price being around $37,000 for one. Just checked Ebay and people are only bidding $15,000-$20,000. Be real here. You're taking best case scenario's for the new buyer and best case scenarios for the seller.

Uh...with all of the incentives/rebates they were $28-29k out the door. By the way, find me sub 50k mile 03-04 Cobras for $15-20k and I'll buy all of them. They're selling for $25k+. Check Autotrader, check any website, it's what they sell for. Don't tell me you're "one of those guys" who thinks cars that are only bid to $15k are actually selling for that. Thanks for playing!

1meantransam - No, I'm not talking about you. Wow. I'm wrong? Tell that to the multiple people backing me up and making you put your foot in your mouth time and again in multiple different threads. When you learn how to type, you can start making replies. Until then, just watch and learn.

Choco - Cars take a big hit in depreciation initially, then it slows down. I can guarantee you that these Mustangs will be worth more than your car is after they're 7 years old. Besides, I've yet to see someone ask only private party for on '05+ GT because that is way too cheap. It would sell within days. A '93 Cobra Mustang books for $6,500 and sells for $14k+, so book value doesn't always reflect what cars are actually selling for.

Take the argument out of context? Please. We're talking about how Mustangs depreciate. Is an '03 Cobra not a Mustang? Last I checked it was. You said how all Mustangs depreciate at an extremely fast rate. I proved you completely wrong with the '03 Cobra example, considering that it is a Mustang. Good effort on attempting to discredit what I'm saying. Is being wrong THAT hard to swallow for you?

Inferiority complex? For one thing, you wouldn't beat a stock '05+ GT with a 13.6. As for LS1s smoking these new Mustangs, I have one word for you...COBRA. The GT500 does alright too. Hell, pulley, gears and a 75 shot and you're in the low 10s. What a piece of ****. LS1s are great performers as well, but damn man, wake up and give credit where credit is due.

My 13s comment was basically said because you seem to act like you know all about everything, when in actuality you have a "muscle car" that would barely beat many V6 family sedans that are on the road today. You have never gone fast or done anything even remotely significant with it that would justify your "know it all" attitude. You're basically a tool with a slow car that thinks he knows everything about everything. Hell, reading your comments about various imports is enough to get anyone to realize that. Who asks you for advice?

I guess the next time I need some advice on how to cut a mean 2.0 sixty foot time or run in the mid 13s, I'll consult the expert...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

560SL - You say you have one word for us lsx guys "cobra". Well thats fine and great, but lets be fair. The cobra is FI and the F-bodys are NA. You also say with a pully, gears, 75 shot and your in the low 10s which is very plausable. But lets make it fair, lets give the lsx car FI with the same amount of boost, gear, and a 75 shot and it would be a completly different outcome.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

How the hell did we get from car washes to Mustang vs F-body?

All cars have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to power, potential, expense, overall package, and the most subjective catigory - appearance.

Who the hell cares what car is worth more? Pick the price range you can afford, and buy what you like - like what you buy.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

when in actuality you have a "muscle car" that would barely beat many V6 family sedans that are on the road today.
This comment concerns me.

Even though a mid-13 second ET might not be blisteringly fast by today's performance standards, your comment was still a gross exaggeration and totally incorrect. When's the last time any of us saw a stock Camry bust off a 13 second ET?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This comment concerns me.

Even though a mid-13 second ET might not be blisteringly fast by today's performance standards, your comment was still a gross exaggeration and totally incorrect. When's the last time any of us saw a stock Camry bust off a 13 second ET?
There are many V6 powered family sedans that can run low 14 second 1/4 mile times...some are even in the 13s. Nissan Altimas and Maximas come to mind...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Resident

There are many V6 powered family sedans that can run low 14 second 1/4 mile times...some are even in the 13s. Nissan Altimas and Maximas come to mind...
so what you're saying is, a stock nissan altima or maxima is on par with both new edge GT's and even the new mustang GT's? thank goodness the 10 year old stock f-body is 1 to 1.5 seconds faster in the quarter than those cars.

you're right. even the new GT's need to watch out with all the 14.0 1/4 mile ET's they're turning on average stock.

i like the way you've changed the subject to family sedans since all your other arguments have been shot to hell wow, there are 2 or 3 japanese sedans out there turning 14's in the quarter mile. let's not forget they're the special edition packages with the bigger motors surpassing $30,000. an altima 2.5 is slow as ****. the one that moves a little is the 3.5 which is considerably more money.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

on the way to school one day, a trash truck passed me and splashed that smelly trash liquid that's always at the bottom of dumpsters on my car...so i went into an automated car wash before class. i didn't shed a tear.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
so what you're saying is, a stock nissan altima or maxima is on par with both new edge GT's and even the new mustang GT's? thank goodness the 10 year old stock f-body is 1 to 1.5 seconds faster in the quarter than those cars.

you're right. even the new GT's need to watch out with all the 14.0 1/4 mile ET's they're turning on average stock.
The new 05+ GTs are subject to debate. I have seen people run low 13s completely stock(stock tires), then I have also seen people run low 14s. It happens with every car though. Hell, look at the guys thread in here with him running like 14.5 in his TA.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Many? No. That is a very misleading statement. Probably 95% of the time you encounter a "V6 family sedan" on the street, a stock LS1 will kill it.

And if you want to talk extremes, then lets do that. The fastest stock LS1 F-bodies are in the high 12s/low 13s. I've personally seen a stock '99 SS run a 13.1 and a stock '02 WS6 run a 12.9 on only upgraded tires (still a Z-rated summer street tire though).

Anyway, don't concern yourself so much with ET on cars running regular street tires. It's not the best indicator of acceleration since traction is not always consistant from car to car. Let's compare trap speed. Fastest stock LS1 F-body trap speed I've seen was a 108mph. Usually it's more like 104-106 though. What does a stock Maxima or Altima reach?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
NKAWTG...N

Many? No. That is a very misleading statement. Probably 95% of the time you encounter a "V6 family sedan" on the street, a stock LS1 will kill it.

And if you want to talk extremes, then lets do that. The fastest stock LS1 F-bodies are in the high 12s/low 13s. I've personally seen a stock '99 SS run a 13.1 and a stock '02 WS6 run a 12.9 on only upgraded tires (still a Z-rated summer street tire though).

Anyway, don't concern yourself so much with ET. It's not the best indicator of acceleration since traction is not always consistant from car to car. Let's compare trap speed. Fastest stock LS1 F-body trap speed I've seen was a 108mph. Usually it's more like 104-106 though. What does a stock Maxima or Altima reach?
Ryan mine ran 13.3@109 stock w/2.2 60ft. STOCK
Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Ryan mine ran 13.3@109 stock w/2.2 60ft. STOCK
An excellent example. A 109mph is a high 12 second ET with some launch pratice and better traction. Meaning no more horsepower nor any weight reduction would be needed to run 12s.

No way in hell is a stock Maxima going to run high 12s even on an ET Drag. Nor will it ever post a 109mph trap stock.

Granted, this example is not average, but on average an LS1 will trap mid-100s. Even an A4 2.73 car can trap 104 stock.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Tech Resident

Granted, this example is not average, but on average an LS1 will trap mid-100s. Even an A4 2.73 car can trap 104 stock.
105 here

Quick Reply: I shed a tear today...