General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 Trans am or 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say keep the T/A, mod it when you get back to the 450rwhp range, which will probably cost about as much as trading up to the Cobra, and then laugh as you blow away cocky owners of lightly modded Cobras. *Note: this depends on how many miles your car has and it's blue book. If it will cost you less then 8k to trade to the Cobra, then do that* Also, not trying to start a war here, the Cobra is one of the few Fords I actually like and would own, but they're too expensive for me right now at 19 years old, plus I'd have to DD it.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also say keep the T/A. Give it full bolt ons and a nice head/cam package and then put a little spray to it and go out and hurt a few cocky 03/04 cobra owners feelings. But watch out cause them cobras can be beast.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I came from a N/A Cobra to a C5, I was really considering buying a Terminator but realized as much as I liked my 99 that I could get to my power goals with alot less money than it costs to buy a Terminator. IMO opinion a C5 would be an even better option in that price range....lighter..better handling...even though you have to pay the Corvette tax!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johngremo95z28
first off buy the cobra. my dad has a 03 sonic blue with magnaflow, pulley cai and a tune. he put 493 to the rear. next mod it a solid rear and some slicks. low 11's with that and maybe a total of 4k. look on ebay they are still going for a **** load of money. and my dads has only 9,000 miles in it..

those motors are built, they are nothing like a gt at all. doing some research b4 posting it
first of all dont be a jagoff, we stopped talking about that post awhile ago.

i forget who said i was new here...but yeah i am sorta new, i was on all the time back in like '05, then went away to college so not much time to concentrate on cars but now i'm back on the scene in '07, i just have no idea what my username was back then. this one is the same as my AIM screen name, but i will admit i dont know THAT much about mustangs except the basics. As far as f-bodys, i know a very good amount from the 3 I have owned, but still a far cry from some on this site.

to the OP = Get what you really like, because if you don't you'll regret it, I would love to have a cobra right now but I would be unsure everytime I saw a nice SS go down the street, because thats what I really want, and am buying this week, a low mile Black SS

just get what you want, they can all be FAST and they all have great potential
Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jester177
to the op i will sell you mine.

I wont be ready to buy until I return from Korea. If you still have yours when I get back Ill definately take a look at it.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Closer...but still wrong. Next? Someone who is out of the 12's please?
Dont know if anybody has answered this, but an 03/04 cobra is nowhere close to a GT, it has half the valves and i believe the heads a different as well, as well as the block. The mach 1 is a little closer to the cobra but it isnt forged like the cobra. the cobra is a iron block completely forged block able to handle 1000+hp. however, i came to understand that guys prefer the mach 1 at times becuase of its looks and for its solid axle and the cobra has independent rear suspension. If the LS1 wants to compete with the 03/04 cobra, it would have to drop in a completely forged LSx block and supercharge it and boost the **** out of it and you would have one bad *** fbody or corvette. I am rarely scared of a GT or even a mach 1...but the the 03/04 cobra ya never know!!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

im a big f-body guy but hey why not change it up and try the cobra its a great car also do you really just want to come back from the call of duty to get back in the same car or do you want something exciting and new to come home and play with
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Dont know if anybody has answered this, but an 03/04 cobra is nowhere close to a GT, it has half the valves and i believe the heads a different as well, as well as the block. The mach 1 is a little closer to the cobra but it isnt forged like the cobra. the cobra is a iron block completely forged block able to handle 1000+hp. however, i came to understand that guys prefer the mach 1 at times becuase of its looks and for its solid axle and the cobra has independent rear suspension. If the LS1 wants to compete with the 03/04 cobra, it would have to drop in a completely forged LSx block and supercharge it and boost the **** out of it and you would have one bad *** fbody or corvette. I am rarely scared of a GT or even a mach 1...but the the 03/04 cobra ya never know!!!!
You never know with Mach 1's....all it takes is forced induction to put them over 500 RWHP as well.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
An SS, Firehawk, Cobra, and Corvette (especially Z06) should not be DD's....however, a T/A, WS6, Z28, or GT, I have nothing against them being beat to **** on the streets....they will never accrue value like the first group named. Those are the collectible garage cars.

but i'm out to dinner, peace guys

how exactly will a SS not drop but yet a WS6 will? considering the SS is the upped Z28 and a WS6 is the upped T/A? i think your a little confused... either way i dont care if the cars worth less then **** on a stick it's still a great badass car and its worth something to its owner
Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No. Cars like SS's, Firehawks, Z06's Cobras and whatever SHOULD be daily drivers. Why the hell buy a car like that just to watch it collect dust in the garage. I mean, if that kinda' thing gets you off then it's your right, but Christ you could be dead tomorrow. And don't start with the "investment" nonsense. It could take decades for anything to gain considerable, Barrett-Jackson value if that's the goal, if it happens at all.

In response to the original question-tough choice. They're both muscle cars so I'd have to go with looks, and that would obviously go to the T/A...
Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
No. Cars like SS's, Firehawks, Z06's Cobras and whatever SHOULD be daily drivers. Why the hell buy a car like that just to watch it collect dust in the garage. I mean, if that kinda' thing gets you off then it's your right, but Christ you could be dead tomorrow. And don't start with the "investment" nonsense. It could take decades for anything to gain considerable, Barrett-Jackson value if that's the goal, if it happens at all.

In response to the original question-tough choice. They're both muscle cars so I'd have to go with looks, and that would obviously go to the T/A...
I agree except for T/As looking better than Cobras!
Old 06-10-2007, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by myk

True, thats why they make bondo, and factory paint so after all the years of ware and tear of a DD you just go ahead and restore it, if needed depending on driver.. sadly i will need to paint mine one day due to all the rock chips and such from DD
Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
I like how certain people try to tell Unit about an LS1 because he has a Cobra. They must not know he once has an LS1.
Yep...and the guys that know me here and that have been around
know the history of why I ended up with a Cobra. It was my last option.
Option #1 was a beautiful black WS6 with 600 miles on it. Option 2
was a Z06. Option 3 was the Cobra. The first two didn't work out so
I picked up the Cobra.

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Ahhh...intelligence. It's a beautiful thing.

Originally Posted by 560SL
How much boost were you running for the numbers in your sig, if you don't mind my asking?
Not enough! 19psi. Need more boost.

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
Oh great! The Mustang guy that thinks he know everything

JUST KIDDING BRO! Just seems like someone always has to say this in any thread you post in if it's between a Cobra and a F-body, and I'm a little surprised it hasn't come up yet
Give it time.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unit213
Let me put it like this...I have a friend that runs mid 8's in the mid 160's on
a stock '03 Cobra short bock.

i must have missed something b/c that doesnt sound right at all
Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

well amongst many other less useful things I learned in this thread. The independent rear suspension on the cobra surprised me the most. I did not know they had that

that's pretty impressive. I dont know if I could drive anything but a solid rear axle chuckles.. Im so ued to its ghetto handling
Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
well amongst many other less useful things I learned in this thread. The independent rear suspension on the cobra surprised me the most. I did not know they had that

that's pretty impressive. I dont know if I could drive anything but a solid rear axle chuckles.. Im so ued to its ghetto handling

You CAN build the IRS to hold 600+ rwhp too BUT it does save weight, I lost about 112-118lbs and gives peace of mind by swapping out the IRS for a live axle set up...it bolts right in. It does not rides as smooth but you get used to it. Awesome.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

thats basically what the cobra is....a supercharged GT with a 6-speed...
BBWWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
32v. vs 16v. DOHC vs. SOHC Forged vs. Pretzel Rods oh my the list goes on and on my friend.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell I love the IRS....its one of the reasons I bought a Cobra over a GT or an F-body. They make them so predictable and take away alot of the famous Mustang butt pucker bump steer. But on the other hand they wheel hop like a mother. I have heard C5's do too but I have never experienced it in mine.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An SS, Firehawk, Cobra, and Corvette (especially Z06) should not be DD's....however, a T/A, WS6, Z28, or GT, I have nothing against them being beat to **** on the streets....they will never accrue value like the first group named. Those are the collectible garage cars.

but i'm out to dinner, peace guys
rofl you put the SS above the WS6?...and at the same level(rarety) as the Firehawk...
Old 06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know i personally dont find a WS6 all that big of a deal, i see a lot of them around here daily.

i barely ever see an SS, maybe 3 or 4 a week, TOPS, sometimes i'll go a month without seeing a real SS (not just a Z with a hood) same with firehawks.

a SS and WS6 may be same performance wise, but i dont see it nearly as desirable.... maybe i'm just biased as a much more of a Chevy guy.

but then again if there was a major production model of a camaro above the SS then that would probably be what everybody wanted and not as many SS's

and by the way i didn't put the ss at the same rarity as the firehawk, i just put them both in the collectible category... you'll notice the cobra is in there also

Quick Reply: 02 Trans am or 03 Cobra