General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dyno/tune this weekend Q?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno/tune this weekend Q?

My dyno an tune is coming this saturday an ive never had something like this done before. So what can I expect to happen, what are the general steps that go on? Ive heard from others an threw searches that after a tune its like having a whole new car would you agree? I guess what im asking for is just some general info on the procedure that way I kinda know what im in for before I show up. Any info would be great, now I have to wait till saturday!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It all depends on the knowledge, skill and care of the people doing the work. It could find some missing performance or they could fug up your car to the max.

Good luck! Actually I hope you have done the research to take luck out of the picture.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not going to be like a CRAZY night and day difference with a bolt on car... but basically you just sit back and enjoy the show theyll take of everything
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say that a good tune will enhance the drivability more so than you feeling the absolute power...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

So with a few bolt on's would you say its worth the money to even have it done? Im hoping to drive it there get it done an when I drive home feel a difference in the car. For 300-400 bucks for the dyno/tune process if I wont be able to feel the difference what makes it even worth it?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tennz28
So with a few bolt on's would you say its worth the money to even have it done? Im hoping to drive it there get it done an when I drive home feel a difference in the car. For 300-400 bucks for the dyno/tune process if I wont be able to feel the difference what makes it even worth it?
I was running slow for the mods in my sig (13.3 @ 101) so I had New Era Performance put my car on a dyno. We found that I was only making 270 rwhp with a 17:1 A/F ratio After a dyno tune I gained 29 rwhp and my trap speed went from 101 to 109. Mine was well worth it and desperately needed.

Now I also have a buddy that has a 98 Formula with a 3000 stall, lid, magnaflow, LT's, ORY and ported TB. He was running fine but still gained around 15 rwhp from the tune. His was definately worth it.

I have heard of others who only gained 5-10 rwhp. Now that might not be worth it to some but worth it to others. I look at it like this:

You're going to gain some power (be it a little or a lot), you're going to know your engine performance is maxed for your mods, you're going to know your A/F ratio is in a safe area to prolong engine life and you're going to get a cool dyno sheet to post at LS1tech and or show friends.

Unless you plan on adding a cam or N20 sometime soon I wouldn't hesitate to get the dyno tune done now.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cam is in the future but im gonna wait till next year for that. I have the $ now for the tune/dyno so im gonna do it now before something else comes up. I just wanna be prepared for whats coming on saturday, such as what to expect an the process. Keep the advice coming!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tennz28
Cam is in the future but im gonna wait till next year for that. I have the $ now for the tune/dyno so im gonna do it now before something else comes up. I just wanna be prepared for whats coming on saturday, such as what to expect an the process. Keep the advice coming!
Pretty simple process. They'll back your car onto what looks like a car lift. They back the rear tires on two big rollers and use heavy duty straps to secure the car in the front and back as well as using wheel stoppers.

Then they'll plug the car into a computer and start the car. For louder cars they may offer you headphones to deaden the noise. Once they start the run the driver does a third gear WOT run (fourth for M6's). The whole time I was watching a computer screen that was digitally displaying the MPH, RPM, ect. They'll run through all of third gear before shutting down. I saw my buddys car hit 160 MPH on the computer screen before they shut down his dyno run down (he has 2.73 gears).

After that they pull up on the screen what looks like the traditional dyno graph displaying your HP curve, torque curve and A/F ratio. This is your baseline run. Now they'll start playing with adjustments to raise or lower the A/F as necassary to make more power. After which they'll make another dyno run to see the results. Then they may make more tuning adjustments and repeat the process. With my car they had to make 6 pulls before it was all said and done. My buddys car took only 3 pulls.

You don't really do anything but watch but it's still kind of interesting. Good luck on Saturday.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks that was exactly what I was lookin for, if you can think of anything else lemme know.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Called to confirm my apt. time on saturday, something came up an now I gotta wait till next saturday! The HP gods must be testing me

Quick Reply: Dyno/tune this weekend Q?