General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"

Im getting up there in age (24) and most of my friends have been buying used vettes of late. They keep making fun of me for holding onto my "teenager sports car". I don't care too much what they say, but I am curious what your opinions are. I personally love my F-bod and will never part with it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids car? if any of them want to race me we'll see whos got the kids car lol
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Tell them to lol theres alot of people older enough to be your parent that has fbodies lol to me they look better than vettes and ur car is a gem lol black with tt'2s lol. they both have the same engine anyways.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

...NO... ..Mine does NOT look like a kids car pal....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep. Cars for the young and young at heart.

Too bad the new one will be unoffordable by me.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

The only thing I can say is WTF!

Ive always been told im not old enough to handle a car like mine...Since it is my first car

There is an older guy that lives right down the street from me that had a 03 GT mustang, sold it to get a 95 Corvette, than sold that and bought an 00 T/A
Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

spray a 100 shot on them and ask if they still feel the same?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"kid's" car? no.

i consider the f-body the car for an adult that doesn't want to grow up. that would be me. i choose to be immature because frankly, it's a lot more fun. i'll be 21 next month and i love revving at random people walking down the street. i love the attention - because i just don't want to grow up.

i live by a single quote: "growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional." the day i "grow up" is the day i get old and lose that youthful spark. i don't want that to ever happen, and i plan on keeping my f-body until the day i die if it's possible. i'll never freely sell this car.

i call my f-body "my drunken corvette." that's exactly what f-bodys are. they're the corvette's younger, punkass little brother full of rattles, creeks, vibrations - and i love every damn minute of it.

besides, we have something the corvette crowd will never have: an awesome community. so many corvettes are bought by old men having a midlife crisis, cocky businessmen and people that just think they're the hot ****. when i meet up with a guy at a light in an f-body, we can immediately spark a conversation (i had a great one yesterday with a cool guy in a H/C LT1 - badass car). we have an awesome community and we all seem to share a lot in common. not many car communities are like the f-body community.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

I woudlnt consider it a kids car. Seems to me they're just trying to 1-up ya?

Plus I see more c5's around than nice F-bodies.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Default to old ????????

hi i'm 53 i got the hawk 19 months ago and just got a kwick-lift from fuel's father (member here), never to old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited by billyb; 06-19-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: ad text
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

I bought mine at 29, couldn't wait to pick it up. I'm 30 now and it's not going ANYWHERE!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

No its for the young at heart.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Launching!

I drove mine to the supermarket today for groceries....and my 8% seniors citizen discount.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

ask your friends if they are hitting thier mid life crisis...
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I am 44 year old kid , sold my 99 vette year and half ago and bought one of these kids car with 400 + rwhp.Now a v tec honda with blue neon lights and a fart can is a kids car these days.These are real modern muscle cars .Most of those vette owners have never even put the peddle down anyway.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

When I bought my first LS1 car (in 1999), I knew of very few young (meaning under 21) guys that had one, because they were too expensive. As these cars age, younger people can afford them.

I don’t consider myself a kid. I’m 28, I’ve been married for 8 years, and I have people working under me ages 24 - 40.

Camaros, Firebirds (& T/A), and Mustangs were the “cool” cars to own when I was growing up in the ‘80s and early ‘90s. Guess that’s always stuck with me, and probably always will. And when the new Camaro comes out, I plan to get one of those as well. The "cool" cars for kids these days is RICE.

As for the Vette thing, I like those cars too. But there is no reason to look down on the F-body. These cars are excellent performers for their era, they look great (today and in the future, IMO), and they are really the last of the newer cars to offer a bit of raw old school muscle feel in today’s marketplace of high performance cars filled with IRS, OHC, and small CID. Not that those things can’t be cool as well, but the F-bodies are a tradition to me, and whether I own one or not, I’ll always love them.

One thing that bugs me are some young Vette owners (early 20s). They get their first decent job, and can manage to finance a C5 or C5 ZO6, and suddenly they think F-body owners are inferior to them, as if the only reason why someone would own a Camaro/Firebird is because they can’t afford the Vette. Never does it occur to them that maybe some of us actually still like our F-bodies, and don’t always feel the need to compete by spending more money. If I really wanted a Vette right now, I could have one tomorrow, without question.

Vettes are great, but lets face it – the world would be a VERY boring place if we all had the same car. A car can still be cool even if it didn’t cost $40-50k when new, IMO.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
"kid's" car? no.

i consider the f-body the car for an adult that doesn't want to grow up. that would be me. i choose to be immature because frankly, it's a lot more fun. i'll be 21 next month and i love revving at random people walking down the street. i love the attention - because i just don't want to grow up.

i live by a single quote: "growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional." the day i "grow up" is the day i get old and lose that youthful spark. i don't want that to ever happen, and i plan on keeping my f-body until the day i die if it's possible. i'll never freely sell this car.

i call my f-body "my drunken corvette." that's exactly what f-bodys are. they're the corvette's younger, punkass little brother full of rattles, creeks, vibrations - and i love every damn minute of it.

besides, we have something the corvette crowd will never have: an awesome community. so many corvettes are bought by old men having a midlife crisis, cocky businessmen and people that just think they're the hot ****. when i meet up with a guy at a light in an f-body, we can immediately spark a conversation (i had a great one yesterday with a cool guy in a H/C LT1 - badass car). we have an awesome community and we all seem to share a lot in common. not many car communities are like the f-body community.
Sniffle Sniffle. i couldnt agree any more
Old 06-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Im getting up there in age (24) and most of my friends have been buying used vettes of late. They keep making fun of me for holding onto my "teenager sports car". I don't care too much what they say, but I am curious what your opinions are. I personally love my F-bod and will never part with it.

Screw them. I know they are your friends, but any RWD car with a ton of power that you can easily lose control of is not a "kids" car.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i got in a wreck 2 years ago, my 97 Ram Air convertible was totaled. I had a choice when buying my next car, LS1 Ram Air or C5 vette. I drove both hard, took my time with it, and decided on my WS-6. I personally think the LS1 WS-6 looks more aggresive than the C5. The C5 is a beautiful car, but I wanted something that looked like it was going to eat your first born child! I love my WS-6 and will not part with it. I love the car and everything about it.....except the 10 bolt. I like how the WS-6 is kinda rough on the edges but still a very nice car. Its how I like it....fast, loud, rough, and mean!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

throw in a cam, and a 100 shot and show 'em what a kids car can do, send your vette buddies packing with their tails tucked

Quick Reply: Do you consider F-bodies a "kid's car??"