General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did you guys know what you were buying befor you got the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha, funny thread actually. I didnt know anything about ls1tech when i bought my car. I liked them, but actually watched some of the vids on fbodyhideout and that is what settled it. I had my 01 WS6 within a week. i actually called the guy on a 99 green 6 speed TA, and he said it was sold, but he happened to have this other car, an 01 with abit more miles, but it was a WS6, 6 speed also, set up a time to drive it, and took it home with me. Loved the car ever since!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I knew when I first got my car was it had "the corvette engine"
Old 06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Andros
i wanted an ls1 after my first ride in one in high school. i had a 80 camaro at the time and loved that, but it was nothing like the ls1. love at first ride
Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andros
That's exactly how I described it, because it was.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Back in '93 I was out to get my first car, which turned out to be a '69 Charger/440. In '98 I bought a new Mustang GT. I got tired of running neck and neck with Honda Civics so a few months after the Mustang I bought a '97 Z28 'Vert. I then started to learn about the "new" LS-1 and decided that I wanted an F body with that motor at some point. Fast forward to April '07 and I find my black '99 T/A. Looks, speed, history, this car's got it all and it fits me perfectly and I'm glad I finally got it. Yes, I definitely knew what this car was all about before I bought it...
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt buy the car but it was handed over from my mom after my dad died she said he left it for me, i used to hate the trans am but i started liking it and when i joined the site i learned alot about it or about cars in general. Now i will never drive a car that isnt a v8 or has dual exhaust lol.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_NHRA_TA_CONVERT
Read a lot of reviews on the TA , Corvette and Camaro. Everyone loved the TA LS1. I was leaning toward the Corvette until I saw mine. On the web. 2002 NHRA TA Vert. One of only 46 in the world in A4 configuration. 29k miles. I drove 468 miles to get the car and do not regret it. This car is me. Super rare and my 4th F Body. 1975 Formula 400 4spd, 1978 TA 4spd, 1979 TA 10th Anniv. (I still have it) and now the 2002 NHRA LS1. I had no idea how fast the thing would be...this car is scary fast and the Monsoon stereo can cause hearing damage. I can only say that everyone should have one!

Man that thing is sweet, awesome transaction, that thing is 99.9% as cool as my car
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like a lot of the guys anwering no are newer to the site and/or likely younger. I'm not real old myself, but I had a 3rd gen at the time of the LS1 introduction in the Corvette. Test drove some LT1's and looked at some Trans Am's in 99 and 2000.

Plans changed and I hung on to my 3rd gen untill 2004(which was when I joined the site), but I knew all about the performance of the LS1 long before then-it was basically common knowledge with all the articles in the car rags and the love-fest for the C5. If you go back an read old Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc, you'll see the LS1 F-bodies wiped the floor with the Mustangs in the comparo's. They were talked about as bargains back then when they were new, now they're just that much more of a steal.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

i had no idea there was such a vast world when i got my ls1, i came from a v6 camaro. so this was night and day, i wasnt on tech either. but a month before i got my car i joined tech and realized, "oh hollly ****" that there was just more to the car then its V8 and pure badass speed.

so in conclusion, i didnt know what i was getting into when i got my car
Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

like some of you i knew it had a corvette engine and was a fraction of the price, so naturally i had to get it lol
Old 06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I got mine in 2000 when I was 18 years old. It had $19k on it but I got a hell of a deal because my g/f at the times brother works at Ricart and sold it to me for $13k. Its a '98 Z, it had around 35-40k at the time. I actually thought it was an LT1. Then about a week later I raced my friends 95Z and smoked him. The first thing he said was "dude thats not a LT1". So I looked it up and was happy to see I had an even better motor.

And I also thought it didnt have a cd player until someone I worked with told me it was probally in the hatch.... haha.... geez I was dumb
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

i have known my car since the spring 2003 and it took me 3 years to actually go after it. I bought it off of Louis from LG. A buddy of ours bought the car in 01 and the car has been put through it's pases but since I know the owners and everything that has been done to it, i was ok with buying a modded car.

If I didn't know the owners of the car then I would only buy a stock or bolton car.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew exactly what i was getting into. i drove a V6 firebird for 3 years before i bought my car it was just like driving the LS1 car...just down on serious power. imagine pulling out 5 spark plugs. that's what it was like driving a GM 3.4L V6 firebird. i ran a 16.8 @ 79.xx mph - and that was with a CAI, catback and an aluminum driveshaft out of a Z28...

i don't know how you could have lived in america for 17+ years of your life and not know a little bit of the heritage of the camaro/firebord. they were a huge part of america's automovie history, right behind the mustang and the corvette. the camaro, firebird, mustang and corvette are probably the 4 most significant cars ever made, ever, in terms of automotive heritage.

i lurked on LS1tech for about 5 months before i actually bought my car. i was originally going to buy an LT1, but the more i thought about it, the more i realized the extra money was well worth it. 98-02 f-body's are a lot more powerful, have a lot more potential and most of all, they just look a lot better IMO. sound pretty good too when set up right.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

My first car in 1964 was a 57 Pontiac, 347 with a 2bbl carb which I replaced with a 4bbl. Next was a 60 Impala vert, 348 with a 4bbl carb which I replaced with three 2bbl. Then came 4 years of USAF, then family station wagons and pickup trucks.

In 2000 I bought a 1995 Caprice 9C1 (police package) with LT1. That was the highest performance car I ever owned up to that point. The next highest was a Mercedes 450SL. In January 2007 I decided to replace it while it was still in good condition. I had a book which gave specs up to 1996 and showed the B4C (police package) Camaro had a slight edge over the 9C1 Caprice. I found an ex-Florida Highway Patrol B4C 2002 Camaro on the net and flew to Florida to buy it and drive it back to Texas.

I was disappointed to learn that while the 9C1 had many extra performance and handling options over the regular Caprice, the B4C Camaro was the same as a Z28 -- but I was OVERJOYED to learn, much to my glad surprise, that while the 95 or 96 Camaro had a slight edge over the 95 9C1 Caprice, the 2002 B4C Camaro was a HUGE LEAP over the 95 Caprice in both handling and performance. I love my car and I found LS1Tech shortly after I bought it.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought mine cause I wanted a Hotrod and something to mess with, really learn how to work on and do custom stuff with these cars. I am single, and what really made me decide to get it was when one of my friends at the shop was like "your single..where is your car..buy yourself a toy.."
I have had my Camaro for a little over 2 years, it's goin on the 3rd Engine(blew the first, built and sold the second, now this LSX Stroker), and I have about $15k total invested, and soon goin to be around 600hp with a bad-*** setup.

And it still cheaper than you LS1 guys..
Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got mine I knew and didn't know what I was getting. I knew I wanted a TA WS6 and knew there was no difference between the standard TA and the WS6 other than the hood. I had always wanted one after watching so many peoples videos on here (TRM8R comes to mind ) thinking of how fun it would be to accelerate that fast, let alone actually drive a fast manual car. I spontaneously stopped at one dealership to look at an auto red TA they had with the wife and test drove it, at first I was deadset on getting it until my dad rode with me, and his first comment was "did someone let a dog and cat loose in here?" At that point I noticed vents were busted, headliner was torn, seats were torn, whoever had it last didn't take care of it like I would have. He suggested I look for three more to drive just to see if it was usual things that happen to them.

I knew of one I saw in the local car sales mag and called them up and asked if they still had it. We went to take a look at it, was almost everything I wanted, had the black interior with the M6, but it wasn't black or red, it was some odd orange. We drove it, seemed solid and thought about it for a week, looked at a few more times and than finally went and picked it up. I was determined I would paint the car black, but I got it home and started cleaning up the car and realized the orange wasn't dull but was pretty bright. Got it waxed up and shiney looking and thought screw that I'm not repainting it any other color than what it already is. Now the damn proud owner of a 01 M6 SOM TA, 75th Pontiac Anniversery Edition to boot, which really does nothing for it other than put badges on the front panels the size of a quarter.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

knew about the LS1 and how kick *** it is. had two LT1s before my one LS1. love these cars
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My LS1 is my 4th F-body, my fist one was a `78 Z28 then a `79 Trans Am shortly after. I built and street raced that car for 7 yrs until the modern muscle bug bit and I picked up a `94 Formula A4 in Jan. `97. I had been reading up on the new LS1 that was available in the Corvette and new it would be available in the F-body for `98. I new I would street race the car and that the WS6 was no faster then the base Cars were. [Yes it was known back then guys] So in Jan `98 I ordered my Formula M6 Hardtop, took delivery in March [car had 9 miles on it] and had alot of fun on the street for that first year. I can't tell you how cool it was to have something that not everyone had or could beat, It truly was a good time.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I had a 94 5.0 mustang `vert...and I got tired of all my ls1 friends running off without me.....lol...soooo.....I went hunting, and found my 01 z28 m6.....I have never looked back....I only wish I had waited and gotten a vert..... oh...well...t-tops are fun!!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew exactly what I was getting when I got both my Camaros. I had lurked on here for a long time before I bought my LT1 and finally registered. A few months ago, I sold it and bought my LS1 in my sig. If I sell my Z28, it's gonna be for a Corvette or another F-Body. I'm hooked on Chevys.