General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ls1 Camaro Good price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls1 Camaro Good price?

There is a guy selling a 1999 camaro ls1 six speed for 8,750. I think this is a good price even though it has a salvage title. It has flowmaster exhaust and a drop in filter for the good but it needs to get this stupid looking spoiler taken off and needs a new window motor. It runs fine and seems to be in good shape. It has t tops and leather with the monsoon sound system. Should i hold out i think i can get it for 8,400 but does this sound good for a salvage title? Any comments help Thankyou.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salvage titles always have a lot of give in it. Take him down as much as you can. I myself wouldn't pay more than $6-7k for that car, condition depending.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

talk him down to 8k
Old 06-24-2007, 03:38 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Salvage = walk away, unless you can afford a costly project that may never be right...
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Salvage titles always have a lot of give in it. Take him down as much as you can. I myself wouldn't pay more than $6-7k for that car, condition depending.
i agree. i wouldnt pay him more than 6k. do u know what kind of repairs that was done on it. take it to a trusted mechanic before u buy it and see what he says. salvage titles do not mean that the car is crap, it might have been a light accident on the car, with a little damage. insurance companies love to call it a salvage so they wont have to repair them, and just give the owner the minimum amount of money for the car.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Teching In

yeah i gave $10500 for my 01 Z that runs 10's and 50k miles

Last edited by on 3; 11-13-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help everyone it seems hard to find an 6 speed Ls1 in Southern California for under 10k. It never had any damage to the frame rails or suspension and all the body work looks good on it.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt.. and how many miles are on it i got my 98 trans am for 8 and it had 70 1owner clean title i would just wait and find a clean title
Old 06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Thanks for the help everyone it seems hard to find an 6 speed Ls1 in Southern California for under 10k.
Tell me about it. I looked long and hard for an M6 in 'Socal before I bought my 'Z and T/A but just gave up on it. Just put some money aside for the eventually broken A4 and you'll be alright...
Old 06-24-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It also depends on what was salavaged... sometimes if the car got hit in the rear they would salavge the car... But personally i would never buy a salaved title.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Thanks for the help everyone it seems hard to find an 6 speed Ls1 in Southern California for under 10k. It never had any damage to the frame rails or suspension and all the body work looks good on it.
Where you located? A buddy of mine is selling his 6-spd 98 Z for $6500 here in socal. Car has high milage though and essentially bone stock.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

My personal opinion is walk away, dont get it just because its salvage title, but its up to you, if its what you want then i would talk him down to $7500
Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

find out WHY its salvage.....dude i bought a 2000 vert with 52k miles for 3grand, it was salvage but because the top had been vandalized, bought the new top for 500bucks and fixed!! sometimes its not a big deal, just do your homework on the title. here is my thread on it with some pics.......
https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertible-vehicles/736490-my-new-top.html

and here is my car thats for sale.....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...38#post7298838
Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

NEVER buy slavaged. Leave them for the desparate guys. You will loose sleep trying to make it right, depending on the repair.

If it is a rediculous reson for salvage, I would still loose sleep knowing I settled.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

I can see that MANY/MOST people in this thread have NO IDEA what they are talking about.
If you see the word 'Salvage' and run for the hills, odds are you don't know jack about buying and selling cars.

As the son of a car dealer, I can tell you that a salvage title can mean a billion different things...
most of the time they are small, like a previous minor collision or bank repo.
At dealer auctions salvage titles usually pull just as much as regular titles because dealer inquiries get to see the car history.

On noes! its a salvage!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by burnzilla
I can see that MANY/MOST people in this thread have NO IDEA what they are talking about.
If you see the word 'Salvage' and run for the hills, odds are you don't know jack about buying and selling cars.

As the son of a car dealer, I can tell you that a salvage title can mean a billion different things...
At dealer auctions salvage titles usually pull just as much as regular titles because dealer inquiries get to see the car history.

Youre right, salvage means good.

Minor collision...."It was only a little pole I hit", here are the keys to your NEW CAR!

Articulate people such as myself who DO NOT settle, would NEVER buy a salvage. YOu buy whatever LA. car you like.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Youre right, salvage means good..
Thats not what I said.
You don't have to be a crybaby about it.

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Articulate people such as myself who DO NOT settle, would NEVER buy a salvage.
because you want to be 100% safe and don't know much about buying/selling cars.
Thats totally understandable.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Thats not what I said.
You don't have to be a crybaby about it.

because you want to be 100% safe and don't know much about buying/selling cars.
Thats totally understandable.
I didnt mean to start out like this, I know what you mean. Some people are just real picky. Salvage always remains on the title. FYI.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Since these cars are worth jack these days it is very easy to get it totalled out over nothing. This is double fold because crash parts for the F body are ownage at the stealership.

Many states won't allow cars to come back after being seriously wrecked so instead of getting fixed they have to be transferred to another state under a salvage title. Where otherwise there would have been no problem. I think Texas is an example of a state that won't allow wrecked cars to come back.

On the other hand, I have personally seen many cars with records of no wrecks which have been completely destroyed and restored or the vin plate removed... But, don't imagine people racing a Camaro and wrecking it on private property; insurance will never hear of it.

It would be ignorance to not physically check the car out. Car fax is not accurate all the time. If you can't ID the tall-tale signs of a repair then bring a friend. That is the only way.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thats exactly right.....salvage does not mean WRECKED. my buddy got a 93 or something(the old 5.0) mustang cobra with 60k miles for under 800$. it was salvage because it caught fire inside and burned the seat.....few days later, aftermarket seats and the car was perfect. he resold it too. the fire never touched anything else except the seat. some of these people have no clue what they are talking about. im perfectly satisfied with my salvage vert.