General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is it Worth Going into Debt for a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Worth Going into Debt for a C5?

Hey gang. I've been chewing the idea of buying a C5. I really love those cars. Here's the thing though. I can buy a nice Z28 or Trans Am in cash and wouldn't have to loan any money. If I were to go the C5 route, I'd have to loan out about $5-6K. I can afford it, but what worries me is being in debt. I have no idea how to explain it, I just don't want any financial burdens in my early 20's. The other side of the fence is that it's a C5 Vette and you only live once. That's the care free attitude, lol! I've never driven in a F-body car before, but I've driven a C5. I guess, what I'm looking for are some insightful opinions. Thanks!

Last edited by camaroSS41; 07-08-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Just for clarification, if you've driven a C5, you've driven an LS1 car.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BananaHead
Oops!! I guess I goofed there!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by BananaHead

As for the question at hand, being debt free is nice. But if you can afford a C5, and you really like those cars, then $5-6k in debt isn't very much to worry about IMO.

You just have to decide if you like the C5 enough over the F-body to be in debt. That's a decesion that only you can make.

My personal opinion though? I'd rather have an LS1 F-body, a C6, or the upcomming '09+ Camaro, over the C5.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd get whatever best suits your budget.. You can always start smaller (Z28) and work your way to a C5 in a year or two when you can pay cash for it..

Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C5s are nice. What you should ask yourself about taking out the loan, is how soon can you pay it off? If you can pay it off in 2years or less, I really wouldn't worry about it. By chance you do decide to take out the loan, remember, a small banks interest will be less than a big banks interest most of the time.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i took the plunge. Only owe $4k on my C5. I sold my '96 Z28 for $8,700 and got ahold of my C5 for $13k. Look at my post in this General section about my '98 Vette to see how i got it that cheap. But if you can afford it, don't worry about $5-6k loan. That's nothing as compared to some people's car notes. At 3 years even you'd have maybe a $175 a month loan. If you can pay more you'd have it paid off even faster. This way you get what you want right away without the wait. Credit is Great
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

back in the day credit cards were used so you didnt have to walk around with a rubberband stack of notes... they were used so if you got robbed you could cancel the card and not loose much money...today its easy to get yourself into 50,000 of debt...max out one card, then open another account...its trying to live the life style that you cant afford...i would look into an insurance type coverage card, that way if you loose your job or get hurt, they can stop the payments up to a year so you can save your credit score...either that or open another card to pay the payments
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Launching!

I put myself into 12k of dept for a 00 corvette. There is nothing like this beast, I have a lt1 z28 and just lost my 01 trans am, and over all the vette wins with the exemption of having a third and fourth seat. Im twenty and making about 2500-3000 a month do whast your really want i set a goal to have a vette before twenty five so Im a few years ahead, and im going to school 12-18hrs a week
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C5s are becoming more and more dirt cheap...er. 5-6k is nothing, I have 27k in student loans and I want to cry everytime I think about it You have to ask how much you like it to be able to go in debt over it. I wanted to add a C5 in a year or so, but with the C6 and even the re-designed C6 coming out soon, if you can wait, they probably wont be able to GIVE away some C5s, and the "normal" C6 will take a hit. Good luck.

-J
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Buy a Z or TA and put $5-6k in mods
Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Really Look At The Engine, It Would Suck If A Modded SS Wooped My C5 *** Is Really What I'm Saying....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

If it were me i would go with an f body. But if it were a c5 Z06 thats a whole different story. At least for me.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well..Do you have an ole lady?

Do you like geting laid??

LMAO..

3 words my friend..

"Vette Gets'em Wet"

LOL..I love that line...but its true..although they would be w/ you for the wrong reason..but I mean afterall..isn't that what we wanted in the 1st place?LMAO..what am I saying???

BTW..I am getting a 2nd job just to buy a car..possibley a Vette..although I am married..so wet panties are not a option for me..
Old 07-10-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

It all comes down to what you want.

If you're going to buy an fbod and then spend the next 3 years of your life sighing everytime you see a C5 because you wish you bought one... buy the C5.

$5-6k is really very little to finance, and as long as you stay current on the loan it'll help your credit in the long run.

But if you think you'll be happy with an LS1 Z or something... why spend the extra money?

Sit down and really think about the pros and cons of each and what matters to you...

Mods ... cheaper for fbodies
Insurance ... VERY close, usually cheaper on Vette
If you need backseats sometimes ... no brainer to the fbody
Looks ... which do you personally like better?
Weight advantage ... Vette
Cornering advantage ... Vette
Drag advantage ... fbody

One of the annoying things about owning a Corvette is the people that automatically say you think you're better than them because you own a Corvette. They're usually whiny, defensive little bitches... but annoying nonetheless

Last edited by jbuerke142; 07-10-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Teching In

5-6k really isnt that much to finance, but it also depends on where you are financially. if you are a college kid with just a part time job and in your own appartment, then maybe making a car payment will be an issue. but if you have a decent job and dont think you would have trouble staying employed for a few years i say go for it. another thing to think about is that being on time with a car note every month and eventually paying it off will increase your credit score. heck worst case scenario you cant afford the payments and sell the car and some of the money goes toward paying off the loan. as long as you keep full coverage on the car you are safe. look into insurance before you buy as well alot of ppl forget that insurance is pretty much part of the car note.

i say do it tho... c5 is a great car, i think they will even install a p**** magnet for no charge ;-)
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

I had a 1994 Z28 M6 with exhaust and a tune putting down 275hp/285tq and it was a fun car. Having 4 seats was a huge plus. Handling was good (much better than a mustang) and I enjoyed driving it as much as possible except in the snow. The engine (LT1) was tough to work on due to the tight fit however.

A couple years ago my friend got a C5 and after a few months let me take it for a drive. I put the Camaro up for sale a few weeks later and bought myself a C5. The camaro was paid for at the time but I let it go for about $4000 due to high mileage (180k I believe). Picked up the Vette for $15k with 99k on the clock.

Since then I have added ported PRC 243 heads, slowhawk spec cam, ls6 intake, vararam, LG longtubes, Textrailia OZ700 clutch, and Z06 Ti Exhaust (borla stingers droned too much).

The C5 is a TOTALLY different car than the fbody. Granted a LS1 or LS6 fbody will move, no doubt about that, but don't expect it to handle/corner the same. Until you drive one there is no way someone can explain to you the feeling. As soon as I sit in my drivers seat in the Vette its like being in a cockpit....nothing like the Camaro. Once you start driving you really feel the difference.

If your car/commute is a central part of your life and you will end up driving it daily and not needing to put passengers in, go for the C5....you will NOT regret it. The only thing I miss is being able to drive a "sporty" car around with my wife and kids. Now its just one of the girls at a time.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro52R
3 words my friend..

"Vette Gets'em Wet"

LOL..I love that line...but its true..although they would be w/ you for the wrong reason..but I mean afterall..isn't that what we wanted in the 1st place?LMAO..what am I saying???

BTW..I am getting a 2nd job just to buy a car..possibley a Vette..although I am married..so wet panties are not a option for me..
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I love debt!!!!!!!!!!!! Just look at my sig. Ohhh yeah we are now looking for a C6.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Billdog350~ Is 100% correct. I did the same thing, selling my '96 for my Vette and There is really no comparison as said already. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat after driving the Vette I can feel the Adrenaline rush as soon as i start the damn thing up