General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

98 Ram air. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram air. Is it worth it?

I looked at a 98 Ram Air today with 54k miles. I noticed that the A/C was not working and found the compressor locked up. I also noticed that the oil Diptube was gone and there was a small amount of oil leaking. The car started and ran well. The car was apparently in a accident and repaired. Both air bags was deployed. The passenger fender needed another coat of clear coat. They had the car for 4 years and didnt know when the dip tube came up missing. They wanted 8900.00 for it. I think it is too much for the car. What does any one else think? Is the Diptube gone such a big deal and could it be driven a distance to get it repaired or would all the oil leak out? He also has new airbags and sensor for the car but has not been installed. he also lost the keyless entry remote. Thanks for any advice.

I just noticed this is probably in the wrong section. sorry for the post in here.

Last edited by Kclip; 08-11-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

If it has all of that stuff wrong with it, there is most likely more you can't see and it is likely that regular maint. has not been done on it. If you could talk him down and take it to a shop that would look it over before you bought it, maybe it will be worth it.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Teching In

I'll bet it has a salvage title also which would bring the value down considerably. I would stay away unless you could get it for like 4500!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Moved from Vehicles for Sale forum.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

hmm.... don't know what to tell you, how'd they not know when the dip tube came up missing?!? ..... uh theres a good chance theirs alot of other stuff they know nothing about .... i'd get a carfax for sure on that one, ya never know though, might be a good car.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

find out if its a salvage title. If not..then i consider buying it, but talk them way down. 5-6k with what sounds like a rough history to it. Get somebody to check it out before you make a decision.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

damm thats a rough history, id would pay 4500-500 MAX for it, ive seen and bought several Z28's and seen T/A's for the 9ish price with slightly over 100k but otherwise in perfect working order, just keep your eyes open and dont get impatient
Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 PM

I looked at the car again. There was a few sheet metal screws that was used to hold on the inner fender well. It does have a salvage title but in Iowa that does not show up on a car that old. i believe its 7 years and you dont have to fill out the damage form. It wasnt put back together right and needed to be redone. So i passed on that car. Its just to much work for that much money. Thanks for all your help and input!

But on another note, i found another 98 T/A 75k miles. Never wrecked and a full history. Just a few hair line scratches and runs great. Silver with Grey Leather lumbar. He upgraded the stereo with a 760w amp and a sub. It also has the adapter to use the factory steering wheel controls. I got the car for 7800.00

Thanks again for everyones help.