General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Little advice on supercharged car

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little advice on supercharged car

Sup guys, been awhile since I needed some but I'm back for advice. Actually for a buddy of mine.

We went to look at a 97 Z28 today at a stealership. It is a Black M6 hardtop, with a little over 66k miles. the only things I really see are a Vortech supercharger, 02 chrome SS 10 spokes, some shorty? or midlength? headers, a cat-back, and an ignition system. Engine bay is pretty filthy, I think thats pretty much from just sitting at the dealership. They are asking like $8600, which actually seems pretty fair to me, actually good, pending it runs well. We are going back tomorrow to drive it and all that fun ****, but I'm still not sure about the price.

What do you all think?

Tires are in good condition.

Oh ya, and they are CLAIMING ~600 hp on a dyno. I am calling on that tomorrow unless I see a graph.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Where is this located! I am almost 99% surei've seen tht car a mile by my house and then it never sold, so they got rid of it. Does it have a full roll cage in it? If so, I wouldnt buy tht car, i've heard stories from many people seeing tht car floating around and its supposed to be leaking A LOT of different fluids and everyone told me its garbage, and when I went to look at it, they were about ready to pay off my car without even looking at it, and its only a 98Z and I owe almost $10.500!. They wanted tht car out the door NOW! Oh and I personally drove it, and it does NOT have 600 hp! BTW 2 months ago when I looked at it, they wanted $11,000?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Oh yah I live in Frankfort,IL. It was in there
Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is in Alsip, IL at Integrity Auto.

I didnt look inside so I don't know if it had a roll cage. I'm gonna go back tomorrow, if its the car you say it is, which I bet it is, then it looks like it has potential, but still a pile.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

you know some one has ragged the **** out of it!!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

YUP! same car, it was at the Integrity Auto in Frankfort, down the road from my house. They keep moving it back and forth from Frankfort and Alsip Integrity and lowering the price each time, hoping someone will buy it. When you go there tomorrow look at the 12 point roll cage and u'll know its the one. OH YAH!, there's a bottle mount in back, i forgot about tht. Its been sprayed!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hasenbonkers
YUP! same car, it was at the Integrity Auto in Frankfort, down the road from my house. They keep moving it back and forth from Frankfort and Alsip Integrity and lowering the price each time, hoping someone will buy it. When you go there tomorrow look at the 12 point roll cage and u'll know its the one. OH YAH!, there's a bottle mount in back, i forgot about tht. Its been sprayed!
Hah, i bet the dealership is kicking themselves for buying that car and trying to sell it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try to work them down to like $6k with all this new info.

I also noticed there were brackets for where a strut tower brace used to be...

Its gotta be decently fast.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooo sprayed and blown that does not sound good. if your buddy wants to do a rebuild of the motor than that would not be bad but two power adders like that would scare the hell out of me. you dont even know if the previous owner did the mods right i would stay away but that would be a cool build if you went with forged internals and more psi.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

A dealership isn't suppose to sell anybody a car that can't pass inspection. And if its got short headers and a supercharger on it then its gonna be pretty hard for them to pull that piece of magic off.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought shorties and superchargers are legal? it has cats...
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

just let him buy it and regret it later if hes stubborn thats a personal issue!! IMHO
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

went to go look at it again today. Looked it over, motor seems pretty strong still, most likely cuz it has such low mileage, however everything is just so dirty and ugly that its very iffy.

Supercharge whines REALLY loud. timing controller is on the car also. They are desperate to sell so we'll see what happens, its not a bad deal if we can get them down to like 8000, Just needs a little TLC, afterall, somebody has to buy it eventually.