General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I buy Hp Tuners for $400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I buy Hp Tuners for $400?

I got a buddy whose selling his HP tuners vcm suite pro for $400. Is this legit? He said he will give me the login and i can download it on my computer from Hptuners.com. Can it be registered on 2 computers? But will this still work on his computer as well as mine? I have no experience with tuning but im williing to learn.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, if he's willing to give you the login, and the software as well as the hardware, the only other expense is licenses, which to tune a single car will cost you $100.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

he already has my car licensed becuase he tuned it already before.....so is this legit. The program will be mine and hp tuners will let it get registered on 2 computers? He doesnt have the CD for software but he sasy i can download it from hptuners.com and it comes withthe plugin for diagnostic port...is thnis all i need?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Sounds shady. You need the hardware period. You cannot both use it. You two can SHARE it.
I don't remember paying much more than $400 for mine.
EDIT======Again as with most posts it hard to tell what you're doing. If he sells you the hardware and you download the software then yes it's legit. Now when you ask is it possible to have it on two computers thats confusing. Does that mean he still plans on using it? If so not legit.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not just pay the extra $100 and get it brand new with everything with the credits for at least 2 cars? Sounds like a better option.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can download and install the software on multiple computers with the id code that came with the hardware, or with the account access, which he should have and be able to give to you. I have HP tuners installed on my laptop as well as my desktop, so i know it works. If I remember correctly, whenever you install it on a computer, it requires you to synchronize it with the hardware in order to confirm it, or something like that. It's been a while, but I do know you need to have the hardware to finsih installing the software.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh okay i understand now about the two computer thing...it will be useless to him if he doesnt have the hardware (the diagnostic plugin?)...yeah hes giving me the diagnostic plugin thing that plugs into the laptop and said to download it from the net. Is this all hptuners comes with? and will i be able to tune my car if it has been already with his computer? Oh and i think hes planning on not using it anymore because hes selling his camaro and buying a house!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Banned

You don't need the hardware to do anything with the software except to read, write and scan. I always download the newer versions, etc on my desktop. Burn a CD with the tune out of the car, put it in the desktop, work on it, burn it on a cd and put that in the laptop. My cables been in the car for a years now.