General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Could you offer some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could you offer some advice?

Well, here's the deal. I've been stationed here in Korea for about 10 months so far, and I'm getting ready to go back to the states. Since I've been here I've been saving ~$1000 per month, and I have about 13k already-planning to have 15k when I leave.

My original incentive to save was so that I could buy a TA outright when I got home that way I only have to pay for insurance. However, I decided it would be better to finance it and just have the money there to pay for it automatically. That way I am able to build a little credit. I'm only 20 and I have almost no credit so far. Anything I have I bought cash and I've never had a credit card.

Here's my problem-Once I got the financing idea in my head, I starting thinking that for only a little bit more money I could have myself a C5 corvette.

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Use your money that you've saved up and use it as a down payment on a C6.

Where were you stationed over there? My buddy just got sent to the ROK in October.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what ive heard, corvettes have cheaper insurance...not 100% sure though...if you want a vette, save for it, or finance it and use the money for either a down payment or leave it in the bank and use that for payments like you mentioned...either way, you should enjoy the car you decide on...but then again find atleast a couple of both and take them for a test drive before you buy, that way you can relatively compare them to each other...you might find you like the ta better than the vette or visa versa
Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

you know if you really want the vette then go for it, but the TA makes a lot more sense financially. for one if you choose the TA and pay it off quick, in most states you are only required to have liability insurance for a paid off car, full coverage insurance on a vette which is usually required if you have a loan out on the car will kill you at your age. it will make you sick to your stomach seeing a lot of that hard earned money go to an insurance company. i'm back in iraq now trying to fix financial mistakes i made after my first deployment. but its your money, you earned it, and spend it on whats going to make you happy.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Well, I definitely can't afford a C6. I was surprised to hear that the vette might be cheaper to insure. I had always assumed the opposite, since it's a two seater and all. It's certainly something I need to research.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting full-coverage regardless. I would hate to have all my time and money go down the drain just because of one bad spot of luck. I expect the insurance to be pretty high either way I go. Do any of you younger guys have some estimates you could throw at me?

Also, I'm in the Air Force and am stationed at Osan, AB right now. I don't find it's bad here, just some people have a problem staying out of trouble.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Herbal Chicken
Well, I definitely can't afford a C6. I was surprised to hear that the vette might be cheaper to insure. I had always assumed the opposite, since it's a two seater and all. It's certainly something I need to research.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting full-coverage regardless. I would hate to have all my time and money go down the drain just because of one bad spot of luck. I expect the insurance to be pretty high either way I go. Do any of you younger guys have some estimates you could throw at me?

Also, I'm in the Air Force and am stationed at Osan, AB right now. I don't find it's bad here, just some people have a problem staying out of trouble.

for insurance you can try usaa...thats who i have...had them for about 5 years now...you can get a quote online and what not...im paying 135 a month for a 2000 jeep cherokee and 2000 z28 (full coverage, roadside assis, and rental car)...oh yeah im 24 and in the navy...they give active duty discounts
Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

im 19 and i pay 80$ for liability only pretty cheap IMO!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Herbal Chicken
No ****!?

That's where my buddy is. He is a jet engine mechanic on A-10's. He's doing a 1 year tour.

Oh btw.....my insurance is $564 for 6 months, full coverage $500 deductible. I'm 23, no accidents or tickets
Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crazboy99
from what ive heard, corvettes have cheaper insurance...not 100% sure though...if you want a vette, save for it, or finance it and use the money for either a down payment or leave it in the bank and use that for payments like you mentioned...either way, you should enjoy the car you decide on...but then again find atleast a couple of both and take them for a test drive before you buy, that way you can relatively compare them to each other...you might find you like the ta better than the vette or visa versa
Not even close. At his age insurance on a vette will be twice what a fbody would be.
I do however agree with the rest of his post, drive a couple of different cars and see what fits you better. I like the looks of the c5-6 cars but I am 6'1 220#s and I feel more comfortable in my Formula.
Doug
Old 12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazboy99
+1 I have a 96 ta and a 98 Formula with full coverage, I am looking at getting a C6 and the insurance agent quoted me $100.00 less a month for full coverage on a 07 c6 and keeping the 98 Formula.

Crazy!