General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dailey Driver GTO??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It'd be very expensive to fix those drivetrains. And being "better" is really a matter of opinion...
Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have been thinking about a GTO. But not modding it would leave me to buy a project to work on or leave me bored to tears.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My current daily driver is getting 33-35mpg with 75% highway/25% heavy city traffic. GTO would likely get low 20s in that environment, at best. Granted, they don't do bad for a heavy V8 car, but until I move closer to work I want to stick with my basic commuter car for the daily drive, just for MPG reasons.

Just because someone chooses to collect something, does not make it a collector's car. IMO, calling something a "collector's car" suggests that it will appreciate in value over the years if it's kept at low mileage and mint condition. This will likely not be the case for the GTO. They will never be a highly sought after, big dollar collector car, period. There are just too many of them. Something like a '97 LT4 Camaro SS, or an '87 GNX, or an '89 Turbo Trans Am - those will continue to appreciate and are actual "collector's cars".

A GTO will be no more the collector's car than a basic LS1 F-body is. Regardless of the condition or mileage.

I agree there is nothing wrong with making a garage queen show car out of anything that makes you happy, but please don't fool yourself into thinking it'll ever be worth a pot of gold. You will be sadly mistaken.
I agree with you on some points but not on others...GTO's will def be more sought after than an LS1 F-Body...There are tons of LS1 F-Body's everywhere..You can see tons of them everyday...There were only 40,000 GTO's built...And now after a couple years, there have already been tons of them totaled, wrecked, or destroyed in natural disasters..Which just makes them even more rare...If you look at 64-74 GTO's, there were tons more built than the 04-06 GTO's, but they are worth great money today...They are actually hard to find due to most of them being destroyed one way or the other...The same thing is happening with the new gen GTO's...Now I'm not saying that I'm trying to "collect" mine, although I will never get rid of it, pending its condition, since I do drive it everyday and race the hell out of it, but a lot of people do, and eventually a lot of people will pay a pretty penny for one...

-Bobby
Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an 04 GTO for two years, even with snow tires it suck in the snow. It is the best overall car I have owned, but I could never get over the fact that it did not look very sporty. The 04-06 GTOs will never be collectable cars. Hell when I bought mine in 12/04 they had a $5,000 GM rebate, I got another $5,000 off for having a GM credit card and the dealer took off another $3,000. They don't do that to cars people want. The new GTOs never sold well and GM pulled the plug after only three years. I went back to an f-body with all its creeks and rattles.....I love my 00 WS6 and I can't say that about my 04 GTO, it always looked like a cavalier on steroids to me.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I owned an 04 GTO for two years, even with snow tires it suck in the snow. It is the best overall car I have owned, but I could never get over the fact that it did not look very sporty. The 04-06 GTOs will never be collectable cars. Hell when I bought mine in 12/04 they had a $5,000 GM rebate, I got another $5,000 off for having a GM credit card and the dealer took off another $3,000. They don't do that to cars people want. The new GTOs never sold well and GM pulled the plug after only three years. I went back to an f-body with all its creeks and rattles.....I love my 00 WS6 and I can't say that about my 04 GTO, it always looked like a cavalier on steroids to me.
They stopped making the GTO because 06 was the last year for the Monaro...And your right about nobody wanting them new from the dealerships...But after a couple years they have become much more popular..Dealerships are now starting to charge too much money for them...And they are now selling well...
Old 12-19-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

04-06 GTOs never sold well. Dealers overcharged for 04s when they first came out and now that they are not being made anymore I am sure some dealers are trying to make a few extra bucks. Bottom line, the GTO was killed because of poor sales. No profit for GM, no GTO for us. If the GTO sold well there would have been a GEN II. Since that did not happen GM now has the G8.

Production numbers:

04 15,740
05 11,069
06 13,948

These are not great sales figure and that is why they don't make them any longer.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
04-06 GTOs never sold well. Dealers overcharged for 04s when they first came out and now that they are not being made anymore I am sure some dealers are trying to make a few extra bucks. Bottom line, the GTO was killed because of poor sales. No profit for GM, no GTO for us. If the GTO sold well there would have been a GEN II. Since that did not happen GM now has the G8.

Production numbers:

04 15,740
05 11,069
06 13,948

They were killed because of the end of production of the Monaro....And the GTO will be produced again, but it will look like the new high tech futuristic Camaro.....Im sure GM wouldn't have produced the GTO in 2006 if the 04 and 05 sales were a big problem(I know they didnt sell well)...And the production numbers have nothing to do with the sales numbers...Holden's Elizabeth plant in Australia cant handle big production numbers...
Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 04m6gto
GTO's will def be more sought after than an LS1 F-Body...There are tons of LS1 F-Body's everywhere..You can see tons of them everyday...There were only 40,000 GTO's built...
40k cars is A LOT. There is nothing rare about a build number like that.

A clean LS1 F-body will be more sought after than the GTO by the future hobbiest, as it was more popular when it was new, and it's a better platform for a hot rod than a GTO (it's lighter, has a solid rear, and has more overall aftermarket support).

The GTO will bring more cash as someone's daily driver in the near term, but looking into the not-so-near future, of the two cars a super clean low mileage LS1 F-body will likely bring more cash.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04m6gto
And the production numbers have nothing to do with the sales numbers...Holden's Elizabeth plant in Australia cant handle big production numbers...
You are joking right? production and sales have nothing to do with each other?? They have everything to do with each other, did you ever take an economics class? Supply and demand, mean anything to you?

GM decided to dump the remaining 04 GTOs late in 2004 because they could not sell them. Did that happen to other retro rides like the Mustang or Charger? NO, and that is why they are still in production.