General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thnking about dropping the motor.... what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thnking about dropping the motor.... what do you guys think?

This winter I'm doing heads, cam and stall. And I'm thinking about dropping the motor/trans out the bottom of the car and here's why:

1. The heads/cam setup I'm going with is going to require flycutting. This should be loads easier out of the car.

2. It's a '98 and I would like to change the rod bolts and with the engine out this would be cake.

3. Torque converter would be very easy with the car out as well.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

What do you guys think? How hard will this be?

The only thing is that I dont have a lift...

Last edited by 98RedBird; 12-10-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
What do you guys think? How hard will this be?

The only thing is that I dont have a lift...
Very hard...especially without a lift. I'm sure it could be done though if you really wanted to do it that way. With enough help and a spacious work area you might save some of your hair from going gray.
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got a question. Since you are going to go through the trouble of taking the engine out. Why not rebuild it? Another $1000 for some scat rods and mahle pistons and you have a brand new motor that isn't using stock ish and you don't have to get the pistons flycut. You'll probably make .5 more compression and have more piston to valve clearance. Meanwhile taking a small amount of weight out and increasing strength. Seems like the logical choice to me. Just my .02
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
I got a question. Since you are going to go through the trouble of taking the engine out. Why not rebuild it? Another $1000 for some scat rods and mahle pistons and you have a brand new motor that isn't using stock ish and you don't have to get the pistons flycut. You'll probably make .5 more compression and have more piston to valve clearance. Meanwhile taking a small amount of weight out and increasing strength. Seems like the logical choice to me. Just my .02

This is a pretty good question. I don't know. I just never thought about it. I suppose that I could.

And from everything that i've read pulling the motor out the bottom is actually really easy. Even without having a lift. I'm a little confused
Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
This is a pretty good question. I don't know. I just never thought about it. I suppose that I could.

And from everything that i've read pulling the motor out the bottom is actually really easy. Even without having a lift. I'm a little confused
I have never done it without a lift. Its not very hard with a lift though. I don't like crawling on the ground so that's my deal.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
I have never done it without a lift. Its not very hard with a lift though. I don't like crawling on the ground so that's my deal.
I don't really have the funds to rebuild the motor right now to answer your other question. And i'm pretty sure the stock bottom end can handle quite a bit. The only thing that would really need replacing is going to be the rod bolts. I wonder if I should change the bearings while I'm in there?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Restricted User

Drop it out the bottom. I've done every one of the mods you just mentioned and dropping it is the most convenient way.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by socmguy
Drop it out the bottom. I've done every one of the mods you just mentioned and dropping it is the most convenient way.
So you think it's worthwhile then?

My biggest reasoning behind it is this: I could probably get heads, cam, torque converter, rod bolts and flycutting all done one hell of alot quicker than if it was all in the car and for what seems to be alot less hassle.

My biggest concern about pulling the motor is getting it back in the car. Putting **** back together always seems more difficult that taking it apart lol. How hard is it going to be to get it back in?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at it this way. With two floor jacks it take about as long to drop out the engine as it will take to pull the trans. With the entire engine out the time to swap the converter is about 20 minutes. Having the engine out will also save you several hours in swaping the heads due to no clearance issues getting to things. If your changing the cam you also won't have to pull the radiator and A/C condenser.

I'm doing the same thing this wonter because I'm changing heads, clutch, and headers.

PULL THE ENGINE

Re'
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Look at it this way. With two floor jacks it take about as long to drop out the engine as it will take to pull the trans. With the entire engine out the time to swap the converter is about 20 minutes. Having the engine out will also save you several hours in swaping the heads due to no clearance issues getting to things. If your changing the cam you also won't have to pull the radiator and A/C condenser.

I'm doing the same thing this wonter because I'm changing heads, clutch, and headers.

PULL THE ENGINE

Re'

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was thinking. I'll pull it.