General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Fire Extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher?

Hello eveyone. The other day one of the work trucks at my job caught on fire and it made me think what if it happened to my car. Just wondering who all carries a fire extinguisher in there car? I bought one the other day but I'm not sure where I should put it, don't want to be easily seen. If you have a fire extinguisher in your car where do you keep it? Pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Oh my car is a 2002 camaro.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Put it in your truck if you must....Anywhere else sounds kind of rice...
Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

If I got one I would mount it under the back seat almost on the floor but still facing up a little bit like right under the bottom part of the seat. To me it would be out of the way and easy to access if you needed it.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fire extinguisher.

Okay, a couple of things on this question. First is why would you waste the time and effort to put a fire extinguisher in your car? That is why we have insurance. I know the thought process on this and its not a bad idea, but being in this field of work for the past 7 years let me tell you that the size of the extinguisher that you would put in your car would do nothing if you had a engine fire. I know this first hand. A few reasons why, 1st- you would be using ABC dry chemical, great agent to knock the fire down but it is not a securing agent. What I mean by this is that it will only snuff out the fire for a brief minute, it will re-ignite. I had a car fire last summer that I rolled up on, and it took 7 yes 7 10# ABC extingusher's to control the fire before the first engine could get there. And if you are running Nitrous, Forget it. I am not doubting your want for this I am just giving you some helpful info. Not to mention the dry chemical is messy as hell and it will destroy your electrical. It is a very caustic to sensitive equipment. Please don't take offense to this, I am just trying to help you save money and time.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All semi's have to have a fire extinguisher in them. When I was at work one day, a truck came in the scale smoking to beat hell. Pulled him around and his motor was on fire. if he didn't have a working fire extinguisher, his truck would have probably burnt to the ground. Ended up being the fuel line leaking onto the turbo. they do have uses for fires that are small or just starting. If its spreading fast, just let er burn. Dont want to loose your life over a vehicle.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruquick02ls1
Hello eveyone. The other day one of the work trucks at my job caught on fire and it made me think what if it happened to my car. Just wondering who all carries a fire extinguisher in there car? I bought one the other day but I'm not sure where I should put it, don't want to be easily seen. If you have a fire extinguisher in your car where do you keep it? Pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Oh my car is a 2002 camaro.
Sry for your loss man. Put it anywhere dont let anyone tell you its rice cause its just a safty feature!

Also 2002SOMSS "thats what insurance if for" Yeah that always works espesually with F-bodys that arnt made anymore, and even if you do get money for it, it will not be enough to get an equal or better car.
"thats what insurance if for" has to be the stupidest **** i have heard.
Thats like me crashing into 2002SOMSS with a truck totalling his car and saying "thats what insurance is for" Anybody would freak out.
Fires total cars, extinguishers just mess them up, but at least you can get it fixed.

Once again sry for your loss man!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you lose a car in a fire it is the worst feeling in the world, TRUST ME I KNOW (click on photobucket link in sig). If you catch the fire early enough you can put it out with a ABC extinguisher. Yeah it is going to be one hell of a mess but it is better than losing the entire car. So go ahead and put one in your car because you never know if you or someone else will need it.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one time I didnt have a fire ext.

before:

results:

Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default Fire Extinguisher

Hey Gordon, Whats with the slam dude? I guess you haven't been on this planet to long to understand the concept of insurance. Just because our cars aren't made anymore, what the hell does that have to do with anything? There are plenty of members on this board who have had an accident and been justified with the insurance money given for their cars. The bottom line is if you can't catch the fire in the beginning, let your INSURANCE cover your car. Oh yeah thats if you are smart enough to have it. Oh and gordon before you rip somebody, make sure you know what you are talking about.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me i do.
After anything happens to the car it will never be the same.
I guess i have had bad luck with insurance.
I had a new 2005 A8 and the motor died on me at 3x,xxx miles it lasted me until very early 2007 and the insurance company said it was my fault. And i though, even if i floor it all day, it shouldnt brake at 3x,xxx miles.
I just dont trust insurance...
Sry man if i was being a dick.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

If..."if" you can get to it quick enough sure you can put it, just depends on how big and whats actually burning. I too am in the fire service and my opinion is you can never be to safe. I have one in my garage and house. Been meaning to put one in the car. You just never know...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Might save you in a small fire. If you get to it real fast. But late model F bodies are mostly plastic. The car is probably going right up in flames, except for the 2 rear fenders, which are metal. But I don't know, I'm sure someone on here has seen one on fire.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

I am required to have one mounted in my 'vette for autocrossing. In my 73, It's mounted behind the passanger seat on top of the lid for the storage compartment. The previous owner of my 76 'vette had a bracket mounted between the seats on top of the ebrake console.

I don't have one in my camaro though since it is a stock car and not autocrossed much. A good place would be right in front of the passanger seat. Make a bracked to attach under the front mounts fo the seat and attach the extinguisher to it. That is what my dad did in his 90 ZR1. If I remember tomorrow, I will try to take some pics of this.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saying "that's what insurance is for" is being reactive instead of proactive. Would you stop wearing your seatbelt because "that's what the airbag is for"?

Many members here have modified their car with gobs of expensive aftermarket parts, none of which are covered by insurance. If I were to lose my car in a fire, I would lose thousands upon thousands of dollars on top of losing the car itself. I almost lost my '85 c10 to an under hood electrical fire, but luckily I had a small ABC extinguisher mounted by the shifter and I stopped the fire before it got out of control.....just had to replace some wiring. I keep a fire extinguisher in all my vehicles now.