General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question about Estimating a Quarter mile.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Estimating a Quarter mile.

Ok Let me start by listing the mods and then i will explain what is going on with my car later.

99 Trans AM Ws6 A4

-SLP Lid
-K&N Filter
-FRA
-PaceSetter Long Tube Headers
-Removed Both OBII Cats and Replace with one OBI Cat
-SLP Loudmouth Exhaust

At the Track I Ran about a 13.45 at 102.9mph.

Ok, this is the thing third gear shifts really slow. So i think i could run better. So i thought of a fix, so i bought a B&M Shift kit and had someone install it. Then they told me that the transmission was rebuilt and they tried cheap assing it and did something wrong. So they fixed it and put the Shift kit on, and i am going to test drive it tomorrow. what do you think i am going to run at the track when i take it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

13.30 at best. You may not pick up anything but thats my opinion. Get a stall and you'll pick up more it seems that a stall is the best mod for an auto car. Look around here and ask some questions and on a fairly stock car most picked up the most with a stall converter. I have seen cars with a lid, headers and a stall break into the 12's. I think the best is a 12.60 but I may be wrong.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I know but it really slows down when it switches into third gear. I feel like i should be getting to at least 106 mph
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a stall, it will go a long ways towards eliminating the 2-3 shift rpm drop.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Does a stall Converter put more Pressure on the Rear end?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

I don't think it puts much stress on it. The reason autos don't break rears as more is because you load pressure on the rear when you apply the break and rev it the motor a little bit there is pressure on it. In a m6 car they usually rev the motor then release the clutch and that puts pressure on the rear all of a sudden and if you are getting much traction there is a lot of stress. Definitely get a stall but it is your dd don't go too big. Also I think with the WS6 package you have 3.23 gears, if not you may consider getting them or 3.73's and they should help your times out also.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

What was your 60ft?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vvvvvv
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moscosoalfredo
Ok Let me start by listing the mods and then i will explain what is going on with my car later.

99 Trans AM Ws6 A4

-SLP Lid
-K&N Filter
-FRA
-PaceSetter Long Tube Headers
-Removed Both OBII Cats and Replace with one OBI Cat
-SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
Why would you put an OBI cat on? I have never heard of anyone doing that. I've heard of gutting cats, no cats and high flow cats but never a single cat. I'm just curious.

At the Track I Ran about a 13.45 at 102.9mph.
Two things jump out at me here. One is that the ET is actually very good for that trap speed. I'm guessing a 2.0 60' maybe?

Second is that the trap speed is low. I trapped that stock. With LT's, lid and loudmouth you should be trapping around 107. This could be because of the shifting problem but it could also be a A/F ratio problem. You might be running lean like I was after LT's went on.

But it might help if you gave us some info on conditions. What's the elevation of the track and weather conditions?

Ok, this is the thing third gear shifts really slow. So i think i could run better. So i thought of a fix, so i bought a B&M Shift kit and had someone install it. Then they told me that the transmission was rebuilt and they tried cheap assing it and did something wrong. So they fixed it and put the Shift kit on, and i am going to test drive it tomorrow. what do you think i am going to run at the track when i take it.
"IF" the transmission was the only problem then I could see you running 13.0 @ 107. But if your trap is still under 105 then you may have a serious tuning issue that needs to be addressed. That'll require a dyno tune at a reputable shop.

I was running 13.4 @ 105 with lid, dynomouth and ssra. After LT's and the TCI 3500 went in I was running 13.3 @ 101 which was way off what we were expecting. We put her on the dyno and found my A/F ratio was a very dangerous 16:1 and it only pulled around 270 rwhp. After the dyno tune I was at a safe 12:1 and my trap speed went to 108-109 with a 12.3-12.5 ET

Good luck at the track and post up the results!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

What the hell is an OBII cat? Is that like an OBDII compliant cat? If it is why switch it for OBDI cats? Newer technology has made cats work better and restrict less. Most cats you buy nowadays are OBDII compliant. Unless you were talking about legitimate NON-OBDII high flow cats, thats a different story.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
What the hell is an OBII cat? Is that like an OBDII compliant cat? If it is why switch it for OBDI cats? Newer technology has made cats work better and restrict less. Most cats you buy nowadays are OBDII compliant. Unless you were talking about legitimate NON-OBDII high flow cats, thats a different story.

OBI Cats are more restrictive but they are a lot cheaper. An OBII cat is 500 dollars in california....OBI 55 dollars..... and its only a little more restrictive. So that was my reason...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Why would you put an OBI cat on? I have never heard of anyone doing that. I've heard of gutting cats, no cats and high flow cats but never a single cat. I'm just curious.

Two things jump out at me here. One is that the ET is actually very good for that trap speed. I'm guessing a 2.0 60' maybe?

Second is that the trap speed is low. I trapped that stock. With LT's, lid and loudmouth you should be trapping around 107. This could be because of the shifting problem but it could also be a A/F ratio problem. You might be running lean like I was after LT's went on.

But it might help if you gave us some info on conditions. What's the elevation of the track and weather conditions?

"IF" the transmission was the only problem then I could see you running 13.0 @ 107. But if your trap is still under 105 then you may have a serious tuning issue that needs to be addressed. That'll require a dyno tune at a reputable shop.

I was running 13.4 @ 105 with lid, dynomouth and ssra. After LT's and the TCI 3500 went in I was running 13.3 @ 101 which was way off what we were expecting. We put her on the dyno and found my A/F ratio was a very dangerous 16:1 and it only pulled around 270 rwhp. After the dyno tune I was at a safe 12:1 and my trap speed went to 108-109 with a 12.3-12.5 ET

The question to the OBI Cat is because its really cheap and its not that much more Restrictive than an OBII. And i didnt want it to be to loud because they are hella strict here in sacramento california with loud cars... so i didnt want it too loud
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black99CamaroSS
What was your 60ft?
I dont have my time slip because it was like in November.....i lost it.... but my 60 footer was like 2.15 about that time
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1

I dont have my time slip because it was like in November.....i lost it.... but my 60 footer was like 2.15 about that time my 2nd gear is pretty freakishly fast.....And it sucks because its raining in California so i can test it and feel it fixed and with the shift kit.