General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cam swap lifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default cam swap lifter problem

**I also posted this in Internal Engine, but i figured Id see what kinda responses I get here too. If mods feel the need, remove this post**

So im in the middle of my cam swap, following the ls1howto.com guide, since this is my first cam swap, and Im to the point where I have the retainer plate off, and the cam almost ready to come out. Now I bought some 2 foot 5/16 wooden dowl rods like everyone else uses to hold the lifters up, and with them both all the way in, when i spin the cam, it sounds like I can hear a couple of the lifters riding on the cam still. To check, I threw the pushrods back in, and there are a couple that move up and down when the cam rotates, even with the 5/16ths rods all the way in. I dont really know what to do from here, anyone have any suggestions? Im trying not to **** anything up, and this is my first time doing it. I guess if worst comes to worst, Ill just pull the intake. But I really dont want to have to do that. Thanks.

-Lance
Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to the parts store and get some of those telescopic magnets and use the part that clips on to your shirt pocket and clip it on some hanger wire and lay it across the top of the head. It will hold up the lifters while you pull the cam out.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

so even with the 5/16th rod ALL the way in, the lifter CAN still fall?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

anyone?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no

no they wont fall as long is the rod is in there
Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, as I'm sure the Trigger told you, it's a risk. I think the lifter still may be making contact with the cam. IMO, a lifter falling into the pan is not the main issue, the issue would be getting the old cam out/new cam in. If the lifter is "hanging low" to get caught up on a cam journal, that would hamper your efforts on getting the stock one out and the new one it for sure. That's pretty much how my "cam only" swap turned into a Heads/Cam/Intake swap. I made the call to pull the heads due to this pissy *** lifter making noise when I spun the cam. Replaced lifter cups, got LS7 lifters, yadda yadda. Good luck on it and Free Bump for more info.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks trevor. All the lifters seem to be staying up except two of them on the pass. side, so I have the new cam here all prepped and ready to go in, and i picked up two pen magnents, and my dad is on his way over, so Im gonna have him hold the two up with the magnents while i slide the old out and the new in. Wish me luck! If all else fails, I guess you and trigger can come tear it all the way down with me!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just bend the clip on the pen magnet and it will hold it itself. Make sure you get good ones though...would suck if the magnetic tip came off on the lifter when you tried to pull it out.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Good news, used the pen magnets to hold the two that wouldnt stay up, with my dads help, I yanked the old one out, and the new one went right in. Huge stress relivever!!!!