General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Hard Proof on LS1 F-Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I have owned a F-Body since 98. I too was a broke *** college kid back then making $10 a hr. I have said it before and I have said it again I have owned 12 F-Bodies. I can honestly say these cars have been good and for the average person that don't beat on these cars and does regular maintanance they will last a long time of course there are little things that will go wrong on almost any vehicle.
Yea, But read the kids sig, he doesn't care about miles and is already planning on substantial upgrades. I have noticed that he has been quite active on the forum lately, and has done a lot of research on extensive modifications:

In this thread he discusses the ramifications of FI on a 427
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...362&highlight=

In this thread he discusses methods to reduce weight on F-bodys for faster ETs.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...727&highlight=

In this thread he actually talks about making an AWD f-body using a STS drivetrain.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...074&highlight=

I think that there is a fairly good chance that this kid will heavily modify his camaro, and that being said it will not be reliable or practical. It will merely be a distraction. Go to college, or join the armed forces. Don't be that dude who is 30 and his only worldy possession is his car. And if your parents read this thread, i hope they read this post and my previous one. These cars are not for someone in your situation unless you plan to leave it bone stock or at most bolt ons.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Cup holders in my wifes Toyota were even less useable than my Camaro.
Holy crap, there's a Toyota in the family?

Really, this is my first car and I love it. I plan to keep it forever, but the downside to that is when I run it to the ground, I'll have to rebuild, repaint and replace a bunch of interior and miscell. parts.

The other option is to sell it and buy another low mileage LS1!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by newton
Holy crap, there's a Toyota in the family?
Not any more, thank God! The wife had that car before we got married (under her parents influance ). I would never have bought her anything but a domestic.

She now drives a Pontiac.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Not any more, thank God! The wife had that car before we got married (under her parents influance ). I would never have bought her anything but a domestic.

She now drives a Pontiac.
i ws the same way. before my boyfriend my family was influencing me ford. thank god he set me straight!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your parents probably don't want you to have a V8.... simply too much power. They probably want you to have a V6.

They probably also don't want you to have a RWD car.... FWD is simply better in bad weather.

If they are buying the car..... you should be glad to get what they want you to have. You can always buy the car you want later in life.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why all the hate? I personally have respect for all kinds of cars. Equal opportunity.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Get you a 240 and tell them it's just some 4cyl import.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well I think an F-body is one of the greatest cars ever made....just my opinion but I used to be a Ford guy well still am but I went from an 2000 Gt to a 1998 z28 and think it was a great decision based only cuz I wanted more speed! I bought my 98 with 54k miles and in decent condition for 8k but the trans went out the first month but since I got that fixed Ive had no probs out of the car cept for my dad backin into it and busting my condenser. Freaking Louisiana summers aren't fun with a black on black car with leather and NO AIR!!! If your buying the car then get exactly what you want and wait for the right one! Dont just buy the first thing that pops up and sounds ok!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

207 some-odd-thousand miles and still runs like on steroids. No rust, and is a very comfortable daily driver. The only downside is the gas mileage in city driving and if you're going to mod it.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why all the hate? I personally have respect for all kinds of cars. Equal opportunity.
???? What are you talking about. Kinda a domestic forum.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. Lets slow down on the assumtions. I'm 18, STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL, taking college classes, I don't pay for college, and I work PART TIME for 9 an hour. I already have a car and a Harley, PAID OFF COMPLETELY. I was 9 and used to drive my dad's Camaro, so I've driven a V8, hell, the other day I was driving a friend's C6.

I'll say this once. The only reason I can't get a Camaro is simply because they think it's an unreliable car. I made this post so I could provide proof it won't break the day I get it.

And for those of you new to the thread, I'm getting another job for the summer that pays a lot more as a dealership salesman.

Anything I missed?

Ok yeah I missed something: And I'm swapping it out EVENTUALLY. I'll be saving for the engine. I don't have 30k for a car engine and turbo straight in the bank. I'll get the car, pay a good bit on it, buy a crate LS6, swap it, buy a 12 bolt, then buy the turbo. I can't buy everything at once, what do I look like? Hugh Hefner?

Last edited by Vicinity; 03-30-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

i dont see how you can afford it...i make over 60k a year, live at home rent free, live like im poor and it still feels like i dont make enough...shoot im thinking about working 4 days a week instead of 3 for some overtime to put me around 90k...taxes suck
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because I literally pay absolutely nothing. All my money goes straight to my savings. I haven't bought anything new in like 6 months.

Also, if I don't get a Camaro, I'll be getting a GTO, which I just won't even mod. I'll only be getting it because it's a newer car with an LS engine in it, making it a "reliable" car.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

def. dont tell your parents about the shitty 10 bolt thats going to break lol
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I have zero respect for asian cars. Don't care how fast/slow they might be. I hate them all equally.

Originally Posted by dshag
i dont see how you can afford it...i make over 60k a year, live at home rent free, live like im poor and it still feels like i dont make enough...
Not sure why you feel that way. At $60k, you should be bringing home at least $800-850 per week, after taxes and med insurance. With that kind of money and living rent free, you should be rolling in cash.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have zero respect for asian cars. Don't care how fast/slow they might be. I hate them all equally.
Well said.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agreed with RPM WS6 about dshag, you should be wiping your *** with money. I make $35k-$40k a year with $5k every 6 month raises and live at home and money is non issue. SS in the garage, Malibu in the driveway, watching my 46" LCD HDTV and planning to move out. My only guess is you don't really make $60k a year. And you do it at 3 days a week? wtf? Thats $385 a day pre-tax. Which even at 12 hour days is $32/hr. If your making $32/hr and $60k a year living like a poor man and ONLY working 3 days a week, why haven't you moved out?

Vicinity my car is VERY reliable

Last edited by SchultzLT1; 03-30-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Because I literally pay absolutely nothing. All my money goes straight to my savings. I haven't bought anything new in like 6 months.

Also, if I don't get a Camaro, I'll be getting a GTO, which I just won't even mod. I'll only be getting it because it's a newer car with an LS engine in it, making it a "reliable" car.
Look man, I am not trying to squash your dream. I just think your priorities are all messed up. Again, I was in your situation, and regret all the money that has been spent on my car. Just get the GTO, and don't **** WITH IT. It never is as cheap as people make it out to be. TRUST ME! If you want to drive a fast fbody, tell me where you live and i will let you take mine for a spin. Its fun as hell, but not worth puttng yourself in poverty for.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

im 22 and me and my parents get along really well i work 3 12 hr shifts a week if you pick up a 4th you get a 200/day bonus plus overtime pay at 1 and 1/2 times im a nurse...my health insurance is 20 bucks a month...i have about 400 amonth going into retirement 403b account...i do save money but it just doesnt seem like enough...figure base pay at 25hr then shift diff and your over 32/hr easily..like im going to lie about how much i make lol my hospital gives you 1.50/hr raise every 6 months and i got a 7k sign on bonus when i first signed up...definately go to college and live cheap...buy the car when finances are better off and you wont regret it

Last edited by dshag; 03-30-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landonew
Look man, I am not trying to squash your dream. I just think your priorities are all messed up. Again, I was in your situation, and regret all the money that has been spent on my car. Just get the GTO, and don't **** WITH IT. It never is as cheap as people make it out to be. TRUST ME! If you want to drive a fast fbody, tell me where you live and i will let you take mine for a spin. Its fun as hell, but not worth puttng yourself in poverty for.
Get the GTO!!!!!! You sound like you got some cash

You have a Roth IRA yet?? At your age if you start one and put in around $214 a month and retire at 65 you will easily have a million if you earn a respectable 8%.

Yea it sounds boring and it really is but its the best for you and the future. Trust me on this one man. Its better then having a car as your only possession when you are 25-26. I know it sounds awesome to your young self but man it truely blows.

Last edited by bballr4567; 03-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.