General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what wheels would look good on my new 98 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what wheels would look good on my new 98 Z28?

New to the game and really don't know what looks best on them
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

how much you lookin to spend?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a wheel gallery in the wheels/tires section you can check out to get some ideas
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like said above, its all in how much you can spend. On the lower cost end you cant go wrong with a set of C5 Z06s or ZR1s. If you have the money a set of CCWs, Fiskes, or IForged would look really nice, but will cost you.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Put the wheels that you like on. It's your car. Just please don't put spinners
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by intense3123
Put the wheels that you like on. It's your car. Just please don't put spinners
or 22" .......
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the money I like C5 Z06. I've found sets of OEM wheels with tires for $550. I personally like black centers with polished lips on black cars though. Figure out your goal and stick with it. Set a budget, include tires in the cost, look on line at different wheels/tires. Write down the style that you like. Find the one style then buy it if you can.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17x9 and 17x11 chrome ZR1's look best on the camaro's in my opinion, and i say that also for bang for the buck factor, they're nice and cheap
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
New to the game and really don't know what looks best on them
ZR1's. You said you were building a sleeper. They would be great. Check out Tomzwheels.com
Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

get some new C6 Z06 rims
Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

aftermarket with cash to spend, any of the brand-name aftermarkets look fantastic and can be custom ordered to fit perfectly on your car. HRE, O.Z. racing, BBS, etc. all are great options. be forewarned that 17-18's like these will cost a pretty penny- looking at above 2 grand for all four i think. advantages are the availability of extremely light weight, fantastic looks, custom sizings, exclusivity, and obviously real good build quality. disadvantages would be $$$$.

some of the more popular rims that are cheaper, and more readily available are the c5 zo6, the c6 zo6, the 2002 polished spoke camaro rims (maybe ss?) and the ZR1

I got the c5 z06 rims. if you get any type of O.E. vette rims, get 18's or 17's all the way around, stock vettes come with staggered sets of 17 front 18 rear. I cant say from experience but the general consensus is that the staggered rim sizing will throw off your abs/traction control. on a black car, if you are looking for any kind of shiny bling, the polished c5 zo6 rims look great and 17 or 18" rims are perfect for a street car- better handling from less sidewall flex and still enough sidewall to avoid bending them on a pothole. you can get aftermarket c5 zo6 rims in pure black or black with polished lip for more of a "I-mean-business" look. I like the ones that have the fake beadlock, they look mean, but i avoided them because I gotta think it adds weight i dont want. any extra weight you gotta spin before it hits the pavement eats horsepower, slows braking, and is in general a performance downer.

for a sleeper, ZR1 rims give you the benefits of larger rims/ larger tires / better handling/etc.etc(many autocrossers use them), look semi-stock to people not familliar with camaros, are budget-friendly, and look great to boot.

the 2002 camaro rims (I THINK only 2002, anniversary edition camaros came with them, search forums to find more info) look great, are budget friendly, and really spice up the car as the stock '98 wheels dont have much personality to them. I know my stockers are 17", not sure if the polished spoke anniv. rims are 18's or 17's. again, better handling with the 18's, but as with any 18" rim the tires will be quite a bit more expensive.

c6 zo6's are usually bought as aftermarket rims. a couple companies make them, again, search the forums for pictures and ideas where to buy them. I personally dont care for them on our cars, but its a taste preference so ya buy what ya like, right? again, 18's probably 17's are available too, and usually a chrome/polish finish. i think you can get them in the black and black with beadlock look that the aftermarket c5 z06's can be ordered with, the black with beadlock look on most of these wheels is termed "motorsport," again search for it.

both are available to buy aftermarket and there are plenty of stock factory's running around, just gotta be patient and find the deals. generally, aftermarket versions are built just fine, but may be a bit heavier and are found a few hundred cheaper.

as a final note, linking to companies that have not sponsored/supported ls1tech is frowned upon and really not allowed. regrettably, the only place i can think of off the top of my head that has photos of all of the wheels described above can be found by searching for "lakeshore wheels" under google. it will be the first company that pops up, and they have a camaro section on the left hand side that shows a good selection of rims available that will fit your car. again, this kind of thing is frowned upon, so if someone can post a sponsored site that will show the same selections, I will delete my above paragraph. also, be sure to check out the tomzwheels.com site mentioned above, they have most of them as well.

hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nine-eight
aftermarket with cash to spend, any of the brand-name aftermarkets look fantastic and can be custom ordered to fit perfectly on your car. HRE, O.Z. racing, BBS, etc. all are great options. be forewarned that 17-18's like these will cost a pretty penny- looking at above 2 grand for all four i think. advantages are the availability of extremely light weight, fantastic looks, custom sizings, exclusivity, and obviously real good build quality. disadvantages would be $$$$.

some of the more popular rims that are cheaper, and more readily available are the c5 zo6, the c6 zo6, the 2002 polished spoke camaro rims (maybe ss?) and the ZR1

I got the c5 z06 rims. if you get any type of O.E. vette rims, get 18's or 17's all the way around, stock vettes come with staggered sets of 17 front 18 rear. I cant say from experience but the general consensus is that the staggered rim sizing will throw off your abs/traction control. on a black car, if you are looking for any kind of shiny bling, the polished c5 zo6 rims look great and 17 or 18" rims are perfect for a street car- better handling from less sidewall flex and still enough sidewall to avoid bending them on a pothole. you can get aftermarket c5 zo6 rims in pure black or black with polished lip for more of a "I-mean-business" look. I like the ones that have the fake beadlock, they look mean, but i avoided them because I gotta think it adds weight i dont want. any extra weight you gotta spin before it hits the pavement eats horsepower, slows braking, and is in general a performance downer.

for a sleeper, ZR1 rims give you the benefits of larger rims/ larger tires / better handling/etc.etc(many autocrossers use them), look semi-stock to people not familliar with camaros, are budget-friendly, and look great to boot.

the 2002 camaro rims (I THINK only 2002, anniversary edition camaros came with them, search forums to find more info) look great, are budget friendly, and really spice up the car as the stock '98 wheels dont have much personality to them. I know my stockers are 17", not sure if the polished spoke anniv. rims are 18's or 17's. again, better handling with the 18's, but as with any 18" rim the tires will be quite a bit more expensive.

c6 zo6's are usually bought as aftermarket rims. a couple companies make them, again, search the forums for pictures and ideas where to buy them. I personally dont care for them on our cars, but its a taste preference so ya buy what ya like, right? again, 18's probably 17's are available too, and usually a chrome/polish finish. i think you can get them in the black and black with beadlock look that the aftermarket c5 z06's can be ordered with, the black with beadlock look on most of these wheels is termed "motorsport," again search for it.

both are available to buy aftermarket and there are plenty of stock factory's running around, just gotta be patient and find the deals. generally, aftermarket versions are built just fine, but may be a bit heavier and are found a few hundred cheaper.

as a final note, linking to companies that have not sponsored/supported ls1tech is frowned upon and really not allowed. regrettably, the only place i can think of off the top of my head that has photos of all of the wheels described above can be found by searching for "lakeshore wheels" under google. it will be the first company that pops up, and they have a camaro section on the left hand side that shows a good selection of rims available that will fit your car. again, this kind of thing is frowned upon, so if someone can post a sponsored site that will show the same selections, I will delete my above paragraph. also, be sure to check out the tomzwheels.com site mentioned above, they have most of them as well.

hope this helps!
that is a lot to read...lol
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey nine-eight where are you in WY?? My cousin and some buds live in Mills. I was out there for about 5 mos. this fall/winter lookin for work and went to H.E. school (which ended up a waste of time). Also met a guy from Wheatland in class. I got tired of living in a hotel.

So I don't get accused of hijack, I say get silver 17x9/11 ZR1 in silver. The rounded spokes seem to go better with the LS1 body style versus the 10 spokes with their sharp spokes compliment the LT1 better.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Try a search in our Wheel and Tire section.

PS. There is no one wheel that looks best, it's all opinion and everyone's will differ.