General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Thinking about going to M6

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Thinking about going to M6

Im thinking about building my setup to a M6 when the Auto Tranny in mine decides to blow up. I know that the M6's are a little more slower on the track, but I think it will be a fun time on the street, I miss banging some gears. I have a Moser 9" on the way and going under the car soon, the Rear-End will hold a M6 easily.

What you guys think?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 93 T/A converted from an A4 to an M6 and it was the best mod I had done to the car. It did make it hard to drag race consistantly, but I would do it again. It's pretty expensive to do.........
Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M6 doesnt have to be slower at the track, it depends how well you shift, I've seen plenty of M6 vs A4 (stock for stock) at the track, and it can go either way. Its just more room for error.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Noooooo!!! What's up man, not happy with it? I've had both and I'd never trade my stalled auto for a 6-speed. You have quite the setup and I really think you'd miss the auto. If you're wanting more out of it, get a different converter....maybe something custom. There was a huge difference in performance between my SS4000 and PT4400 converter. Ask Ryan, we both were thrilled at how much harder and faster the PT series pulled.

If you're set on it, good luck. It'll definitely be fun, but I really think in the long run you'll miss the stallomatic.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

I swapped from a stalled auto to an M6 and love it.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Go test drive M6

You will wanna buy it
Old 06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

M6 is a great, and fun "street" car. So yeah go for it.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Noooooo!!! What's up man, not happy with it? I've had both and I'd never trade my stalled auto for a 6-speed. You have quite the setup and I really think you'd miss the auto. If you're wanting more out of it, get a different converter....maybe something custom. There was a huge difference in performance between my SS4000 and PT4400 converter. Ask Ryan, we both were thrilled at how much harder and faster the PT series pulled.

If you're set on it, good luck. It'll definitely be fun, but I really think in the long run you'll miss the stallomatic.
What's up Ben..been a minute..

I'm not trying to Drag Race it as far as track competition.. I'm happy with how fast it goes, what I want to to actually play around with it on the street. I want to be able to be goin down the highway, have some unsuspescting Mustang lover roll up next to me and try his luck.. then downshift 2 gears and smash his little ***..

I just want a Standard, I miss it. What I currently have is nice, but I want to be able to play with it more. That and the sound of shifting Gears and taking off in 2nd or 3rd and letting it slowly roll out in the Torque Band is something I really miss.

I just think it will be fun, and it's damn near setup for it already with good parts that will support it. Unlike most people that try to beef their 10-bolt up and say they wasted their money when they grenade theirs, I decided to buy the 9" straight out without spending any extra money, pretty much following their stories and not wasting time on the 10-bolt. The 10-bolt is comin out and goin to the Scrap Yard..

I'll take it to the Track with the Moser 9" and see what it's got in it, I swapped from 3.73's to 3.50's. Even with a M6 and my power that will still pull hard, but I think I'll go back to 3.73's with the M6.

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Go test drive M6

You will wanna buy it
My Girlfriend had her X's pretty much stock 01' Mustang GT for a little bit, I loved driving the hell out of that cause it was a 5spd. Granted mine would utterly obliterate it in a drag race, I had more fun fckin with people at stoplights with that GT than I did with mine(Knowing that you can smear the other guy everything gets old sometimes..).

I just had fun driving it, I want to see what my Z with a M6 in it with my setup will be like..

I was thinking of buying a M6 Corvette cause I wanted a 6spd sports car. The plan was to drive the Vette as a cruiser, and have the Camaro to take out and wreck people. I thought about it and having another car right now would be a little bit of a pain in the ***, and that I would rarely drive my Camaro. With all the work that I have done to it, I want to be able to drive it as much as I could.

I figured what the hell..it's goin to have a 9" under it already, so I can get a M6 in there without tearing the *** out of it and have some fun with it.

Last edited by the_merv; 06-29-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Seriously, I felt about the same way you do. The Stalled A4 is great for dig races, and going to the track to get every last bit out of your car. But how often do you plan on doing either of these things. For me the answer was nearly never, or maybe once or twice per year. The amount of fun I get with the M6 on the street definitely makes up for any loss in ET I may have eaten by making the switch.

The car is far more enjoyable. One of the things I felt that sucked about driving a stalled car was the lack of "mid range". You're either in the throttle and hauling ***, or you're putting around keeping up with traffic. The lack of in-between sucked, especially when driving down a busy street and someone infront of you has to slowdown for a turn, and now you're at 25-30mph, and trying to accelerate back to lockup.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do it! I see my z28 as the fun machine, it wouldn't ever have a auto in it. You obviously want it, so its amusing you post you are "thinking" about it. Forget the few tenths the auto is worth, think about all the happiness as you become one with the machine, using both feet. I have way more fun heel-toe downshifting than I do trying to achieve a decent 60 foot.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Real Men Shift Gears.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
What's up Ben..been a minute..

I'm not trying to Drag Race it as far as track competition.. I'm happy with how fast it goes, what I want to to actually play around with it on the street. I want to be able to be goin down the highway, have some unsuspescting Mustang lover roll up next to me and try his luck.. then downshift 2 gears and smash his little ***..

I just want a Standard, I miss it. What I currently have is nice, but I want to be able to play with it more. That and the sound of shifting Gears and taking off in 2nd or 3rd and letting it slowly roll out in the Torque Band is something I really miss.

I just think it will be fun, and it's damn near setup for it already with good parts that will support it. Unlike most people that try to beef their 10-bolt up and say they wasted their money when they grenade theirs, I decided to buy the 9" straight out without spending any extra money, pretty much following their stories and not wasting time on the 10-bolt. The 10-bolt is comin out and goin to the Scrap Yard..

I'll take it to the Track with the Moser 9" and see what it's got in it, I swapped from 3.73's to 3.50's. Even with a M6 and my power that will still pull hard, but I think I'll go back to 3.73's with the M6.

That's cool man....not that your car is gonna have any problems with most people as it sits. It's all a matter of opinion, but I truly enjoy the stalled auto much more than I ever enjoyed the 6-speed. With my setup, I have instant power no matter what speed or RPM......I know yours is the same way. Plus, there's always the dumbasses that can't refrain from throwing out the "Too bad it's an auto." Yeah......too bad . Or the "Real men shift gears" ^^^. But you're right, the 6-speed will be hella fun. Good luck with it. I guess you'll be a "real man" now .
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my 6 speed. It's definitely ups the fun factor I think but then again ive never driven a stalled auto either
Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

for me the reason why I have my car is for the "fun factor" so I did the m6 swap and it was the best thing I have done but I have never driven a stalled auto either, expect to spend 3 grand if you do it yourself.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed out my stalled auto for a six speed, and I'll never look back. It's a completely different car now, and as an added bonus I picked up 6-7mpg going from the stalled auto w/ 10 bolt & 3.23's to a M6 with 9" & 4.56's.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
M6 doesnt have to be slower at the track, it depends how well you shift, I've seen plenty of M6 vs A4 (stock for stock) at the track, and it can go either way. Its just more room for error.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this one. Take two of the exact same Fbodies built the same way, both with good drivers, and if one is an auto and the other an M6, the auto will absolutely run the quicker time. The M6, on the other hand, may very well trap higher. A4s just nail the first 1/8 of the track.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

how much do you guys think it would cost to change it over? i'm thinking about doing the same thing
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
It's a completely different car now, and as an added bonus I picked up 6-7mpg going from the stalled auto w/ 10 bolt & 3.23's to a M6 with 9" & 4.56's.

Can't argue the gas mileage . That would certainly be a plus.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this one. Take two of the exact same Fbodies built the same way, both with good drivers, and if one is an auto and the other an M6, the auto will absolutely run the quicker time. The M6, on the other hand, may very well trap higher. A4s just nail the first 1/8 of the track.
I'll agree here too. A properly set up auto will always be quicker at the track by .3 to .4 but a M6 will ALWAYS trap higher. I have had an M6 for 6 years now and the only time I wish for an auto is during my 2 or 3 trips a year to the track. If my car was a track only car, I would convert it to a TH400, otherwise give me an M6 or die!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to do an M6 conversion too, I'm getting tired of my a4. I test drove a '01 M6 z28 yesterday with a B&M short throw and WOW, it was so much fun slammin' the gears. I want, I want!!