General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Daily Driver or Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do want a STS, let me know. I could cut you a great deal on mine.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realmendrivev8s
Id keep both and slowly mod the TA. I plan on making my T/A my DD when i get it running again and then buying another camaro as a fun car. Only thing is I would rather have the m6 for DD for the better gas mileage and the a4 for the drag car for the better consistancy
wow, keep repeating myself..lol

the m6 is my DD right now... i dont mind paying the little bit in gas prices between a m6 and an a4.. its dirt cheap/month..

im curious to why everyone says hell no to STS... for the price its a killer setup.. and i got my eyes on a used one with EVERYTHING i need FMIC injectors guages and all for 3500..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
not a fan of those STS rear mounted turbos...in bay turbos or nothing man
so you say go for the turbo.. just not STS...

any reason why i shouldnt go for the STS..

i shoulda made this a poll
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
You should look into the ohio forced inductions sinlge turbo kit. It would be very nice with that 4K stall.
I agree check them out and go turbo!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onebadblackz
I agree check them out and go turbo!!!
im pretty sure im gonna go ahead and do it.. not i need some 317s and an ls6 cam..

well i guess i could just use my ms4 with the turbo.... couldnt i? KIDDING
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by squee
If you do want a STS, let me know. I could cut you a great deal on mine.
pm sent.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
so you say go for the turbo.. just not STS...

any reason why i shouldnt go for the STS..

i shoulda made this a poll
yeah go for the turbo...i just like the way turbos look inside the engine bay, when done right of course. Although its hard to take off that STS turbo, i'd still be kinda paranoid that someone might steal it since you can see it.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L3THAL_Z28
yeah go for the turbo...i just like the way turbos look inside the engine bay, when done right of course. Although its hard to take off that STS turbo, i'd still be kinda paranoid that someone might steal it since you can see it.
no.. the link provided, he has pics of his setup.. its a friends. you cant see his turbo AT ALL! so im not worried about anything like that, plus i dont live somewhere where i should have to worry about that at all.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never installed a STS kit, but from what i know about people who have... Is the design isnt very good. Yes you can get boost... but its not what you should be getting. Then again it depends on what you want from it.

If your planning on having it a DD, with 5-8 lbs... you will be OK with a STS. But why would anyone do that? 6-8k for 450hp? Eh... If you really want something to knock your socks off get in good with people who have turbos and have someone custom fab your piping... Make sure you spend the extra money on powder coating the hot pipes AND wrapping them (STS doesnt do either last time i checked). It will spool up MUCH faster.

Luckily I know an awsome guy in my club 1320 (Jon Whittington (sp!)) who does turbos... he installed mine. its a 72mm and spools around 2500rpm... if you know turbos, you know thats pretty awsome for a rear mount! Its an M6, and i can get 28mpg on the freeway.

Also, make sure you know what your getting into. If you think 3-4k is going to get it done think again.

PLEASE READ!: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/567592-real-price-forced-induction.html

Good luck bro!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Ive never installed a STS kit, but from what i know about people who have... Is the design isnt very good. Yes you can get boost... but its not what you should be getting. Then again it depends on what you want from it.

If your planning on having it a DD, with 5-8 lbs... you will be OK with a STS. But why would anyone do that? 6-8k for 450hp? Eh... If you really want something to knock your socks off get in good with people who have turbos and have someone custom fab your piping... Make sure you spend the extra money on powder coating the hot pipes AND wrapping them (STS doesnt do either last time i checked). It will spool up MUCH faster.

Luckily I know an awsome guy in my club 1320 (Jon Whittington (sp!)) who does turbos... he installed mine. its a 72mm and spools around 2500rpm... if you know turbos, you know thats pretty awsome for a rear mount! Its an M6, and i can get 28mpg on the freeway.

Also, make sure you know what your getting into. If you think 3-4k is going to get it done think again.

PLEASE READ!: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567592

Good luck bro!
ive done my reading... i know im going to end up spending around 5k after its installed for a used kit probably a little higher... thatll be good for right under 500 hp.. which for me right now is PLENTY.. im going to run 8#s when racing.. im not forged so im not going over the "limit".. i was thinking one of the dual stage switches.. DD at 5#s and then when i race ill bump it up to 8# or so.. i havnt decided on what im doing with the piping yet, i got a guy thats in FL that can custom do the piping install it and everything for around 800ish.. hes cutting me a deal.. so i dont know. still debating that.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

also i already have a lot of the parts.. ie. timing chain fuel pump oil pump.. and i have a friend that i can get some hand me downs from for next to nothing. im just looking at a base system right now.. once i learn turbos a lil more then ill more up to something along the lines of APS kit or something of equal quality.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

I would sell the z, ms4, and ls1 intake. Second I would contact lmspeed or mti about the fbody magnacharger kit. You would be making more power insta boost and hanus amounts of torque low in the rpm buts just me.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
I would sell the z, ms4, and ls1 intake. Second I would contact lmspeed or mti about the fbody magnacharger kit. You would be making more power insta boost and hanus amounts of torque low in the rpm buts just me.
i like turbos more... dont want a S/C.. i will consider other turbos.. but not S/C..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

98 TA a4.... 4000 VIG stall, Pacesetter LT's, 3.23s, ls1 intake, lid, Ms4 Cam.. supporting mods such as spring and pushrods.. whalbro 255. dynoed 355.. would be looking to run 7.7s or 7.6s @ 90-91.. i WAS going to make it into a full drag car and do weight reduction and all with a 5k stall and some other stuff.. but would hate doing that.. but at the same time want that speed.

also have the Z that is listed for a DD...

**THE QUESTION**

should i sell the DD and put my TA back to stock everything but the converter and go with this setup ----- https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=116524 ----- it would lower my outgoing money per month by about 40-50$ or so and i would make about 100 or so HP more just on 5#s.. plus WAAAY better gas mileage and i would get to DD my TA again.. while still being a beast!

sorry but i just noticed this and had to ask if this is right... maybe you need a better tune, because with a ms4 and supporting mods you should be over 400 hp. I know people with simple bolt ons making more power than that.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Take full advantage of the situation. Swap the transmissions. Buy a front-mount supercharger/procharger and run the T/A as the greatest DD you could possibly ever have. A guy here in my hometown has a 2001 black M6 supercharged Trans Am WS6 with 30k miles and 711rwhp and he drives it on the streets with no problem whatsoever. He is running about 12lbs of boost if I remember right. Me and a buddy were riding around when I first bought my new WS6 and were just eating up every ricer or anything that thought they could hang with us. So we're sitting at a stoplight and we look a couple of cars back and see a new black WS6 like mine that we've never seen before and we want to show him what was up if he tried something lol. So we go slower and let him catch up and as he's comming up you can hear the whine of the supercharger 3 times louder than his 6.0 engine with open cutouts. And then we were like oh $hit!! We don't want any of that lol. It was the first time I have seen a car pull the left-front wheel on the street. You could have a bad@$$ streetcar just like his and he really loves it. An M6 boosted LS1 is theeee sexiest thing you could possibly ever own. Period.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6R6
Take full advantage of the situation. Swap the transmissions. Buy a front-mount supercharger/procharger and run the T/A as the greatest DD you could possibly ever have. A guy here in my hometown has a 2001 black M6 supercharged Trans Am WS6 with 30k miles and 711rwhp and he drives it on the streets with no problem whatsoever. He is running about 12lbs of boost if I remember right. Me and a buddy were riding around when I first bought my new WS6 and were just eating up every ricer or anything that thought they could hang with us. So we're sitting at a stoplight and we look a couple of cars back and see a new black WS6 like mine that we've never seen before and we want to show him what was up if he tried something lol. So we go slower and let him catch up and as he's comming up you can hear the whine of the supercharger 3 times louder than his 6.0 engine with open cutouts. And then we were like oh $hit!! We don't want any of that lol. It was the first time I have seen a car pull the left-front wheel on the street. You could have a bad@$$ streetcar just like his and he really loves it. An M6 boosted LS1 is theeee sexiest thing you could possibly ever own. Period.

agreed
Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 406malibu
sorry but i just noticed this and had to ask if this is right... maybe you need a better tune, because with a ms4 and supporting mods you should be over 400 hp. I know people with simple bolt ons making more power than that.
dyno numbers dont mean anything.. the tune is good. ive raced people that have dynoed 400.... my car runs better than it dynoed..

Originally Posted by WS6R6
i dont want a supercharger.. gas mileage would suck... bad. i can make just as much power with a turbo... and times.. you prefer a supercharger i prefer a turbo... you saw one ls1 wioth a supercharger and you make up your mind???
what is the fastest car on tech... isnt it a turbo????

you can suggest a supercharger all day.... i dont want one, in my eyes they arent as good as a turbo.. can i make insane power, yea... can it be insanely fast.. yea, but so can a turbo..

o and as far as lifting the tires.. that had /NOTHING to do with his supercharger that had to do with tires and suspension....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

dyno numbers dont mean anything.. the tune is good. ive raced people that have dynoed 400.... my car runs better than it dynoed..

i dont want a supercharger.. gas mileage would suck... bad. i can make just as much power with a turbo... and times.. you prefer a supercharger i prefer a turbo... you saw one ls1 wioth a supercharger and you make up your mind???
what is the fastest car on tech... isnt it a turbo????

you can suggest a supercharger all day.... i dont want one, in my eyes they arent as good as a turbo.. can i make insane power, yea... can it be insanely fast.. yea, but so can a turbo..

o and as far as lifting the tires.. that had /NOTHING to do with his supercharger that had to do with tires and suspension....

so you think it would lift tires without the supercharger???
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should check out the forced inductions section and post this there...that would be the most help....not to knock on a couple of guys in the thread, but people with no turbo or any mods really cannot steer you in the right direction. Reading on the internet and experience in doing it are two different things...Good luck with it, i really do not like the sound or the look of the rear mount kit, personal opinion.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
so you think it would lift tires without the supercharger???
ive seen plenty of cars lift tires (even 1 or 2 on the street) N/A

as to you two fighting about which is better... both, it depends on the application.
supercharger consumes power, so boost for boost turbo makes more power, but turbo also isnt "instantaneous" like a supercharger is, turbo is better on fuel consumption and you can change boost easily rather than changing a pully, they each have their pros and cons. trust me, if he wants a turbo, your not going to convince him that a supercharger is better, just like he isnt going to convince you that a turbo is better.