General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Daily Driver or Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Daily Driver or Turbo???

7.5@90
also have the Z that is listed for a DD...

**THE QUESTION**

should i sell the DD and put my TA back to stock everything but the converter and go with this setup ----- https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=116524 ----- it would lower my outgoing money per month by about 40-50$ or so and i would make about 100 or so HP more just on 5#s.. plus WAAAY better gas mileage and i would get to DD my TA again.. while still being a beast!

Last edited by lemons12; 01-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

no opinions?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If STS is the only turbo kit you are considering, then no, I would not do it.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should look into the ohio forced inductions sinlge turbo kit. It would be very nice with that 4K stall.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by keliente
If STS is the only turbo kit you are considering, then no, I would not do it.
Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
You should look into the ohio forced inductions sinlge turbo kit. It would be very nice with that 4K stall.
well if i ever decided to go with a poweradder it was gonna be a S/C.. but just last night my friend with that setup kinda talked me into the STS..

why do you say no to the STS.. any other kits relative in price that are better??? i dont mind spending a few extra muchos.. im going to buy used.. one with like 5k miles on it..

the guy that sold him his has another complete kit with a FMIC guages and everything for 3000$.. i dont know a lot about turbos.. not at all.. just what ive picked up here and there and what ive been looking at all night.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

the way i am now if i was to sell the Z id have about 4500$ to play around with.. thats enough to run 7# safely with a used kit isnt it? i just figured whalbro pushrods springs the whole kit intercooler and meth...
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

id rather boost the m6 personally i love that shhhh everytime you shift keep the a4 track and boost the m6, or swap em up. make the ta m6 and the z a4 sell the z and boost the ta yay lol. turbo+m6=even better fuel economy and much more fun.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
id rather boost the m6 personally i love that shhhh everytime you shift keep the a4 track and boost the m6, or swap em up. make the ta m6 and the z a4 sell the z and boost the ta yay lol. turbo+m6=even better fuel economy and much more fun.
and twice as much lag.. everytime you shift it has to spool all over again.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
and twice as much lag.. everytime you shift it has to spool all over again.
Have you ever driven a turbo car if not you have NO idea what your talking about
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

it wouldnt be a drag car than though. it would be a fun daily driver like you said. if your worried about the lag than i dont think you should be looking into the sts kit at all but thats only if your worried about it. personally i would only turbo a stick thats just me and sc or spray an auto. if your seriously that worried about the lag than continue the way you are and spray your drag car you'll be just as fast and not have to sell your dd.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dex
Have you ever driven a turbo car if not you have NO idea what your talking about
He's actually right, in a sense. Automatics, especially with a stall, keep the car in the powerband throughout the shift keeping the turbo spooled. M6 can too but not as efficiently.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dex
if i didnt know something about them i wouldnt be thinking about it. i just now had a window of oppurtunity and figured i might take it.. the setup that i provided in the link is a close friends car.. he just left the house.. he now has a 4000 stall, just like mine.. he has ABSOLUTELY no lag whatsoever.. and is on a 114 ls1.. and no he doesnt bleed at all..

it wouldnt be a drag car than though. it would be a fun daily driver like you said. if your worried about the lag than i dont think you should be looking into the sts kit at all but thats only if your worried about it. personally i would only turbo a stick thats just me and sc or spray an auto. if your seriously that worried about the lag than continue the way you are and spray your drag car you'll be just as fast and not have to sell your dd.
no it wouldnt be a drag car it would go back to full weight... i wouldnt use it for the strip, id use it for highway runs.. 40 or 50ish to 140 or so.. so the turbo would be MUCH better than a H/C drag car.. and no i wont be just as fast if i spray my drag car..

Originally Posted by Rushin
He's actually right, in a sense. Automatics, especially with a stall, keep the car in the powerband throughout the shift keeping the turbo spooled. M6 can too but not as efficiently.
thank you, i am looking for intelligent responses.. stalled a4s are wonderful to turbo.. not m6s.. why do you think 90% of the people that have m6s and decide to go with a rearmount BITCH AND BITCH about how bad lag is.. hardly ever hear an a4 guy, if you do its just his setup isnt complete/correct..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

again.. if i do this it IS going to be on the TA.. and the TA IS going to remain an A4 with a 4000 stall.. im 98% sure that it is going to be an STS.. i have my eyes on one..

if you guys know of a kit that is as good or better than the STS for close to the same price.. let me know please...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

2002 SS Camaro LS1 M6 SOM
13.8 @ 105 1/4 mile 2.2 60ft
Mods: SLP Lid, WS6 store short stick, !CAGS, !Molding, GMMG exhaust, Bo White ported T/B

^^^ seems like you have tons of experience in it.. are you talking a turbo ls1 or a turbo ricer burner.........****
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

so if your 98% set on getting the sts than what is this thread about?your 98% about getting the kit which means your 98% about selling your z which means this thread is 98% non sense since you know everything about what your asking than you've already done some hard thinking it seems like its going to be cheaper and better for you in the long run because it seems like what you really want is to drive your boosted a4 ta daily. I say go ahead and do it and dont waste anymore of your time on this post lol. you seem like you know what you want already. you should have just said i want to turbo my a4 ta does anyone have a kit around $3000.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

so if your 98% set on getting the sts than what is this thread about?your 98% about getting the kit which means your 98% about selling your z which means this thread is 98% non sense since you know everything about what your asking than you've already done some hard thinking it seems like its going to be cheaper and better for you in the long run because it seems like what you really want is to drive your boosted a4 ta daily. I say go ahead and do it and dont waste anymore of your time on this post lol. you seem like you know what you want already. you should have just said i want to turbo my a4 ta does anyone have a kit around $3000.
Thats a nice way to call him a retard
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wasnt meaning anything like that lol but reading that made me laugh lol. didnt mean nothing bad by it.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

i guess i explained it wrong.. IF i decide to get FI the STS is what i want to get.. 98% sure on that...

whether i want to sell my Z or get a DD or not.. i have no freakin idea, thats what im asking.. what would you guys do??? sell the Z and turbo the TA.. or just stay how i am and keep slowly modding the TA..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Id keep both and slowly mod the TA. I plan on making my T/A my DD when i get it running again and then buying another camaro as a fun car. Only thing is I would rather have the m6 for DD for the better gas mileage and the a4 for the drag car for the better consistancy
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a fan of those STS rear mounted turbos...in bay turbos or nothing man