General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Daily Driver or Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
so you think it would lift tires without the supercharger???
yea... that would be easy lol.... go look at egokillr.. he can do it.. it has NOTHING to do with how you make the power it has to do with your traction, ie. suspension and tires..... you just showed me that i shouldnt listen to your opinion what so ever.. haha

Originally Posted by slingshot928
You should check out the forced inductions section and post this there...that would be the most help....not to knock on a couple of guys in the thread, but people with no turbo or any mods really cannot steer you in the right direction. Reading on the internet and experience in doing it are two different things...Good luck with it, i really do not like the sound or the look of the rear mount kit, personal opinion.
i think that is the best opinion so far...

Originally Posted by 406malibu
ive seen plenty of cars lift tires (even 1 or 2 on the street) N/A

as to you two fighting about which is better... both, it depends on the application.
supercharger consumes power, so boost for boost turbo makes more power, but turbo also isnt "instantaneous" like a supercharger is, turbo is better on fuel consumption and you can change boost easily rather than changing a pully, they each have their pros and cons. trust me, if he wants a turbo, your not going to convince him that a supercharger is better, just like he isnt going to convince you that a turbo is better.

that you for that explanation.. i dont think one is necessarily better overall... the setup im going with doesnt have lag, so that arguement that some people are making is out of the question.. turbo makes more power.. period.. and is cheaper.. for ME its the best option.......

thank you for everyones opinion.. i am going to sell the Z and turbo the TA.. probably with a gt67 rear mount sts turbo.. dual stage FMIC and/or meth injection.... ls6 cam intake.. 45# injectors..

again thanks a lot,
Evan
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I wasn't being bias for the supercharger. A turbo'd M6 Trans Am would be equally bada$$. I was just saying swap the trannys. Sell the Camaro. Supercharge or Turbocharge the TA and DD it. That's all I was meaning. Either way it is going to be one sexy TRANS AM!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of people don't like the STS kit because they've had problems with install, oil issues, low boost etc. However some have had GREAT results, and if you look at it, the ones that had them professionally installed are usually in the latter group. FI is no picnic at all.

For what you are wanting it will take care of you, HOWEVER, I made 442 through a stalled auto w/4.10's in my white H/C (stock intake) T/A and that thing was a BLAST on the street. You could buy a new H/C combo, get it all in and done for $3-4k, make tons of power all over, and not have to deal with the hassles of FI.

Originally Posted by WS6R6
Take full advantage of the situation. Swap the transmissions. Buy a front-mount supercharger/procharger and run the T/A as the greatest DD you could possibly ever have. A guy here in my hometown has a 2001 black M6 supercharged Trans Am WS6 with 30k miles and 711rwhp and he drives it on the streets with no problem whatsoever. He is running about 12lbs of boost if I remember right. Me and a buddy were riding around when I first bought my new WS6 and were just eating up every ricer or anything that thought they could hang with us. So we're sitting at a stoplight and we look a couple of cars back and see a new black WS6 like mine that we've never seen before and we want to show him what was up if he tried something lol. So we go slower and let him catch up and as he's comming up you can hear the whine of the supercharger 3 times louder than his 6.0 engine with open cutouts. And then we were like oh $hit!! We don't want any of that lol. It was the first time I have seen a car pull the left-front wheel on the street. You could have a bad@$$ streetcar just like his and he really loves it. An M6 boosted LS1 is theeee sexiest thing you could possibly ever own. Period.
Any more info on his setup? 12lbs seems pretty low to make that kind of power.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh I wasn't being bias for the supercharger. A turbo'd M6 Trans Am would be equally bada$$. I was just saying swap the trannys. Sell the Camaro. Supercharge or Turbocharge the TA and DD it. That's all I was meaning. Either way it is going to be one sexy TRANS AM!!!!!!
nah, i like A4s... they are sick outta the hole. plus they lag just a little more.. and i think A4s are more fun. thats just one of those opinion things.

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Alot of people don't like the STS kit because they've had problems with install, oil issues, low boost etc. However some have had GREAT results, and if you look at it, the ones that had them professionally installed are usually in the latter group. FI is no picnic at all.

For what you are wanting it will take care of you, HOWEVER, I made 442 through a stalled auto w/4.10's in my white H/C (stock intake) T/A and that thing was a BLAST on the street. You could buy a new H/C combo, get it all in and done for $3-4k, make tons of power all over, and not have to deal with the hassles of FI.

its being installed professionally by the same guy that did my friends. he has no lag or anything.... and on the H/C thing, my car dynoed low but doesnt run like it.. it runs VERY good... i couldnt have that 442 with just 5-6#s and on 8#s i would be at about 550.. i like raw N/A power dont get me wrong, i just want a little bit more at my disposal ALL the time.. (no nitrous)..

on that 12#s.. he was probably on a huge *** turbo.. something bigger than 76 or something... but still thats really high.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess do everything in my last post cept for the intake and aps twins f.t.w!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
Well I guess do everything in my last post cept for the intake and aps twins f.t.w!
wish i could right now.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

STS Rocks!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

STS is a good "starter" kit. I'm thinking you're making the right decision, as far as power adders go. Just be sure to do the neccessary complimentary mods (i.e. wrap the pipes, efficient intercooler, etc.).
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rushin
STS is a good "starter" kit. I'm thinking you're making the right decision, as far as power adders go. Just be sure to do the neccessary complimentary mods (i.e. wrap the pipes, efficient intercooler, etc.).
yea i will be doing supporting mods.. i figured that was one of the best starting kits..
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
i think that is the best opinion so far...
I agree with you 100%, they will put you in the right direction to make big power.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad somebody actually has some constructive feedback rather than, aww STS blows goats....thats what I read on tech so its true. For all you guys that have had bad experiences with them, boils down to a couple of things. Either you had no idea what you were doing on the install and reading how to's of this forum, or you have a manual car. Granted, the actual company STS needs to refine their designs on the pipe routing but or the oil issue, problem is pretty much solved if you just tap the oil pan. I didn't buy the kit to make record times but I've seen rear mounts haul some ***. The only thing that I used from STS was their oil pump and harness and meth kit. Everything else was custom fabbed. I'm not trying to sound like a cocky ***, but why are you bashing kits that 90% of people know nothing about.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

STS blows from what i here. The fact that so many used kits are for sale triggers a red flag in my book. Look at quality products, people who buy them rarely if ever sale them.

How many used AFR/ETP/TFS heads do you see for sale. How many 9" rear-ends? Seriously, should give some thought to that.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
I'm glad somebody actually has some constructive feedback rather than, aww STS blows goats....thats what I read on tech so its true. For all you guys that have had bad experiences with them, boils down to a couple of things. Either you had no idea what you were doing on the install and reading how to's of this forum, or you have a manual car. Granted, the actual company STS needs to refine their designs on the pipe routing but or the oil issue, problem is pretty much solved if you just tap the oil pan. I didn't buy the kit to make record times but I've seen rear mounts haul some ***. The only thing that I used from STS was their oil pump and harness and meth kit. Everything else was custom fabbed. I'm not trying to sound like a cocky ***, but why are you bashing kits that 90% of people know nothing about.
Why are you defending a kit that is essentially not even on your car.

The fact of the matter is that STS has a bad reputation, and for good reason. It is a cheap turbo kit that has dissapointed a lot of people. From an engineering standpoint, it's design is very inefficient.

When designing a turbo kit, you typically want to minimize

1) the distance exhaust air travels before spooling the turbo
2) the distance compressed air travels before being forced into the intake.

Why you ask? Less Lag, and LESS opportunity for leaks. When you run all of your pressurized piping under the car you are asking for a boost leak. Now, with all the expenses that go along with a FI, why not spend a little more to get a quality kit?

Not to mention, they claim that this distance is a "substitute" for a dedicated intercooler??? Come on, I would imagine that an STS setup w/o a dedicated intercooler has smoking hot IATs.

And about your comment "i've seen some rear-mounts hauls ***." The same can be said for hondas. Would you recommend that He buy a honda too???

OP, My main argument against an STS, besides it blows, is that you can achieve similar results with a stout H/C package, and not have 1/2 the issues. IT would be reliable, and since you aren't DDing it the gas mileage would be less of an issue. Hell, you could even throw a shot of N2O on there for good measure. Thats what i decided to do, and I am extremelly happy with my setup. Good luck with whatever you do, but I think you should consider H/C instead.

Last edited by landonew; 08-02-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

STS blows, ask me how I know.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 'Trust'

I can't exactly remember what it is. I remember when we went to the track the other day he told me he has running 12psi. The car was for sale on here a couple of months back also. We both bought our 30k mile cars out of Florida but im not sure where in Florida his was. It had dyno sheets of 711rwhp but I guess the previous owned could have ran more boost on the dyno to see what it was capable of, I just cant remember!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

And about your comment "i've seen some rear-mounts hauls ***." The same can be said for hondas. Would you recommend that He buy a honda too???
I've seen hondas put down better numbers than your car. How about you just sell your car and get one. All of my mods on my car vs. all of your, I guarantee we've spent close to the same amount on mods. If you wanna factor in the car, I'll guarantee I've spent 4-6K less than you and you can do your math to who will win that race.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id go with a different setup than STS, i have one for sale cause i realized by the time i changed everything to make it work the way i wanted it to i would be better off just fabbing one up myself. the STS stuff does make power which is why i bought it but it has alot of draw backs to its design that i couldnt live with. do it right and go front mount cause chances are youll eventually wanna go front mount later down the road so do it once and be done with it for good.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

STS blows, ask me how I know.
Because you bought the kit from STS and didn't fab the kit yourself or your a manual. PERIOD.

I'll agree with the bashers that "STS" kit blows but the theory of a rear-mount does not "blow". If you still say that rear-mounts suck, your pretty much saying that Zombie's car is a 8 sec. POS????
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Because you bought the kit from STS and didn't fab the kit yourself or your a manual. PERIOD.

I'll agree with the bashers that "STS" kit blows but the theory of a rear-mount does not "blow". If you still say that rear-mounts suck, your pretty much saying that Zombie's car is a 8 sec. POS????
i couldnt agree more, the idea works and if you willing to put the time and money into it a rear mount setup will make some serious power. the out of the box STS kit on the other hand, just wont get the job done without some serious tweaks IMO and at that point the APS kit isnt much more. of course if your going FI, saving money shouldnt really be one of your concerns, its expensive anyway you cut it, ask me how i know
Old 08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

saving money shouldnt really be one of your concerns, its expensive anyway you cut it, ask me how i know
Agreed