General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Daily Driver or Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going to build the trans?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
I've seen hondas put down better numbers than your car. How about you just sell your car and get one. All of my mods on my car vs. all of your, I guarantee we've spent close to the same amount on mods. If you wanna factor in the car, I'll guarantee I've spent 4-6K less than you and you can do your math to who will win that race.
Yea, so what? If you wanna talk about $$$/HP, how about the guy who just did bolt-ons and a 200 shot of nitrous? There is always a cheaper way to go, but is the cheaper way always best???? How reliable is your car? What kinda ground clearence issues do you have? How many problems do you have with heat-soak?

I would definately race you, and if I lost i would congratulate you on building a fast car. I don't know what numbers you put down, and frankly I don't care. You said yourself, your kit is essentially custom. Everybody knows that FI is the way to go if you want to put down big numbers on a stock cubed car, that is not the point.

The point is that my car is working (i.e. not on blocks) 365 days a year. I don't have ground clearence issues, and for the most part can run all day without having to stop for cool-down periods. Not saying its better/worse than your car, just saying that we may have different goals.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you check out my pics you won't even see the turbo looking behind it so there is 0 ground clearance issues. The only way you can tell it is turboed is the FMIC which I chose to leave exposed. My car is extremely reliable with the exception of fuel pump issues but that any f-body, and what the hell are you talking about heat soak? That is not an issue when it comes to a rear mount turboed car. I actually leave my car on when sitting in the staging lanes to keep the exhaust flowing to the turbo as hot as possible. As far as nitrous, you are correct when it comes to HP per dollar, no argument from me there.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gonna buy a procharger.. there.. end of arguement.

caleb no reason to argue with landonnew.. he obviously knows nothing about the STS kit if he is saying it is going to have to have a cool down period form being heatsoaked......

o and as far as calebs car goes.. like he said look at pics he has no ground clearance issues..... hey caleb when you get your car from FL you could stop by for a short race with landonnew???? hes in AL.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
im gonna buy a procharger.. there.. end of arguement.

caleb no reason to argue with landonnew.. he obviously knows nothing about the STS kit if he is saying it is going to have to have a cool down period form being heatsoaked......

o and as far as calebs car goes.. like he said look at pics he has no ground clearance issues..... hey caleb when you get your car from FL you could stop by for a short race with landonnew???? hes in AL.

LOL.. I'm down for the race should be fun.

Your right i don't know much about the STS kit. I guess i am just brain wahed from seeing 5 threads a week in the FI section saying how it blows. When someone asks about it or considers getting it all the FI guys tell them not to waste their time. I thought most turbo cars dealt with some degree of heat soak, but maybe the sts kit is not as bad as others since its location is in the rear. I have heard that other people have clearence issues with sts, but maybe it is not a problem for some people.

My question to you is HOW could something that gets that many bad reviews be a quality product???? Bad installation may be the culprit OCCASSIONALLY, but time after time??? I find it pretty unlikely that all the problems stem from operator error.

Anyhow, because my knowledge about is somewhat limited i will avoid the "knee jerk" reaction and not relay what i have read in other threads.

Anyhow, good luck with the build, whatever it is you decide to do and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by landonew
LOL.. I'm down for the race should be fun.

Your right i don't know much about the STS kit. I guess i am just brain wahed from seeing 5 threads a week in the FI section saying how it blows. When someone asks about it or considers getting it all the FI guys tell them not to waste their time. I thought most turbo cars dealt with some degree of heat soak, but maybe the sts kit is not as bad as others since its location is in the rear. I have heard that other people have clearence issues with sts, but maybe it is not a problem for some people.

My question to you is HOW could something that gets that many bad reviews be a quality product???? Bad installation may be the culprit OCCASSIONALLY, but time after time??? I find it pretty unlikely that all the problems stem from operator error.

Anyhow, because my knowledge about is somewhat limited i will avoid the "knee jerk" reaction and not relay what i have read in other threads.

Anyhow, good luck with the build, whatever it is you decide to do and let us know how it turns out.
id like to see the vid.. sts rears are better to let them heat up.. if your at the track you let it run in the lanes so its not cold... i said that i would be going with custom tubing... as does caleb. so no clearance is not an issue at all.. ALL things have ups and downs.. the main reason people down sts is because of the tubing and the lag on m6 cars.. custom tubing fixes one and a stalled A4 fixes the other... not everyone has bad reviews.. some love it..

anyways, im going with a procharger. ill let everyone know how it goes... should be done within the next 1-2months.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

anyways, im going with a procharger. ill let everyone know how it goes... should be done within the next 1-2months.
Traitor! lol
Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

^ lol that's funny
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Because you bought the kit from STS and didn't fab the kit yourself or your a manual. PERIOD.

I'll agree with the bashers that "STS" kit blows but the theory of a rear-mount does not "blow". If you still say that rear-mounts suck, your pretty much saying that Zombie's car is a 8 sec. POS????
6-Speed. The kit made great power, about 500rwhp on 5lbs....just wasn't usable power. That's the only reason they blow, IMO.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Traitor! lol
not any more.. well kinda.. H/C/I and nitrous.. haha less money smame power.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

you can buy my car or my front mount turbo kit ... PM me for more info Lemon!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fenix999
you can buy my car or my front mount turbo kit ... PM me for more info Lemon!
like artic white! haha...

anyways, kept researching and searching and searching and searching.... im going to go with a little bit smalle cam for gas mileage reasons a nice set of heads and intake some 3.73s and some nitrous.... a lot cheaper and just as fast if not faster.. especially in the 1/8.. just not from rolls.. but you gotta have one or the other unless im spending biig bucks..
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

like artic white! haha...

anyways, kept researching and searching and searching and searching.... im going to go with a little bit smalle cam for gas mileage reasons a nice set of heads and intake some 3.73s and some nitrous.... a lot cheaper and just as fast if not faster.. especially in the 1/8.. just not from rolls.. but you gotta have one or the other unless im spending biig bucks..
Lmao, Evan you change your mind so much dude. I would get rid of that MS4 though. Too much work to accomodate that big of a cam but don't get the same mods as T.J., whats the fun in that...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lmao, Evan you change your mind so much dude. I would get rid of that MS4 though. Too much work to accomodate that big of a cam but don't get the same mods as T.J., whats the fun in that...
im getting rid of it... im gonna go with just a tad bit bigger cam than he has, and go with just a little bit better heads.. cause i know hell go with an ms3 or something later and im hoping that my better heads will help me out.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

im getting rid of it... im gonna go with just a tad bit bigger cam than he has, and go with just a little bit better heads.. cause i know hell go with an ms3 or something later and im hoping that my better heads will help me out.
Awesome, after all that you took my suggestion....

J/K. What heads are you thinking of going with?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by landonew
Awesome, after all that you took my suggestion....

J/K. What heads are you thinking of going with?
He should go with the ones you have. Might be expensive, but worth the money to have the best...and better than t.j.'s heads!