General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

how bad are donuts, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how bad are donuts, etc?

so i recently rebuilt my 2000 ws6 and have had it out and playing around (getting bfg DR's) so of course im finishing off the ALMOST NEW kumho's LOL..and was just wondering how hard are doing donuts on the car? and slides, burnouts, etc? because i've done a few (new to a rwd sports car) and am just LOVING it...but i always seem to feel guilty after doing them because i am unsure about how hard they are on the car? any opinions? i dont plan to do them ALL the time, just wondering what the ill effects are other then obvious added stress to the car and want to know what to look out for....thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Look out for light poles, trees, and curbs. It's stressful to the tranny but hell, the car's not meant to be garaged. Mine gets put through hell every friday at Test N' Tune, and then some, and it's lasted this long... Check the sig.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well donuts play hell on the drivetrain. When the tire are spinning front wards and then the car is spun going in the opisite direction all of the opisite force being put on the clutch, rear end flexpalte or flywheel not good in my two cents. Not to mention the clutches in the rear or the gear for the posi/locker. Asking for trouble. Keep your old tire for a spare when those DR wear out/.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
Well donuts play hell on the drivetrain. When the tire are spinning front wards and then the car is spun going in the opisite direction all of the opisite force being put on the clutch, rear end flexpalte or flywheel not good in my two cents. Not to mention the clutches in the rear or the gear for the posi/locker. Asking for trouble. Keep your old tire for a spare when those DR wear out/.
Actually, a hard launch that dead hooks is much harder on the drive train.

Simple physics.

coeffecient-of-static-friction > coeffecient-of-kinietic-friction.

Simply put, there is a greater force exerted on the drive train when the tires break loose than when they hook up because the friction between the road and tires is greater when the wheels are not spinning. This means that the wheels are spinning with less resistance from the road, thus less stress is experienced through the drive train. try to push a non-wheeled chair on carpet. It is difficult to start, but once moving is easier to keep in motion.

Now, as your aware it is very hard on your tires. It can also be very hard on your power steering pump/system because when you slide into a doughnut you put greater than intended g-forces on the pump when it is at it's weakest point (complete extension/compression). But as far as drive train, it isn't as bad as a hard launch 0-80 pull.

Just use common sense. Will doing a few doughnuts hurt your car... NO. Will doing doughnuts for 30-45 minutes non-stop put excess and unnecessary wear on parts that will result in an eventual failure... YES. Anytime you romp on the car for extended periods of time the parts undergo extreme heat which causes them to fatigue.

BTW, don't senselessly wear out the brand new kuhmos. Put them in the garage and use them as replacements for the fronts when they go.

Last edited by landonew; 07-31-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

you have a C-clip rear right?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

whats life without some fun?????? everything wears out and breaks in the end just do the maint and hope for the best
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

like everyone else has said i recommend saving the tires for spares or put em' up for sale on here and make a few bucks off em'.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Donuts are a bit rough on the car like everyone else said. But, I say not as hard as a strong launch. Just don't get carried away beating on the car.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

yeah thats what i was thinking, but i plan to do 1 more donut and burnout for video's sake, then i'll be done for now lol...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

^^^Make sure to post that vid...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Donuts can cause creases in your rear quarters from the stress. If you don't have the proper bracing.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
yeah thats what i was thinking, but i plan to do 1 more donut and burnout for video's sake, then i'll be done for now lol...
You know you're lying to yourself, right? It's always going to be "1 more". Ask me how I know.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Donuts can cause creases in your rear quarters from the stress. If you don't have the proper bracing.
What?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

F saving the front tires. The most fun I have in my car is when it's time for new tires which means making more smoke than a forest fire. Doing donuts probably puts some stress on the rear which wouldn't be great for a stock 10 bolt but, as mentioned, a hard launch with traction is much much worse. Have fun and post the vids.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Nothing is harder on the driveline than a dead hooked, hard drag launch. Well, wheelhop is worse. Hard, sudden shocks to the driveline are baaad, mmmmkaaay?

Hitting the curb is bad, too
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used to do burnouts and doughnuts all the time when i was younger. Stuff is to expensive to repair now lol As for the power steering pump. I sheered my pump shaft clean off when doing a doughnut in my '00 V6 Camaro. I whipped it around and countersteered to go again the other direction and i had no power steering. Shaft moved inside the pump and all. Yeah it was toast
Old 07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

My 1st v8 Camaro (1986 Iroc) was the doughnut machine. My rear tires were home made slicks. It was fun, but I am nice to my car now. I did only one smoky burn out at the track. I just floored it off the line, it burned the tires more than half way down the track < I ran a 17 flat.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
i used to do burnouts and doughnuts all the time when i was younger. Stuff is to expensive to repair now lol As for the power steering pump. I sheered my pump shaft clean off when doing a doughnut in my '00 V6 Camaro. I whipped it around and countersteered to go again the other direction and i had no power steering. Shaft moved inside the pump and all. Yeah it was toast
i did the same thing in my old 97 v6 camaro power steering pumps suck in these cars

doughnuts FTW

dumdumdum psshhh...
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
False.
The rear quarter "dents", "ripples", "creases" or whatever you want to call them are not caused by chassis flex. SFC's will NOT get rid of, or prevent them from happening.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
False.
The rear quarter "dents", "ripples", "creases" or whatever you want to call them are not caused by chassis flex. SFC's will NOT get rid of, or prevent them from happening.
elaborate please.

I was of the opinion that ripples in the paint was caused by during a period in which the car underwent high G-forces that the chassis was not rigid enough to withstand. the chassis would then slightly flex and thus cause the panels to flex as well cracking the bottom most layers of paint causing ripples, creases and distortions. I may be wrong, that is why i ask.

Quick Reply: how bad are donuts, etc?