General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

flooded T/A

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default flooded T/A

ok in a nut shell i bought a 2000 ws6 with t-tops. currently i am in FL the car is in new orleans. a friend told me the t-tops flew off during gustov. i dont have much info but was wondering how f-bodies hold up to water damage. the top is still exposed to the elements. personally i would like to total the car out. i dont want to mess with rusty floor boards down the road. anyone have any past experiences or ideas?? thanks
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if you can pull the interior out and pop the drain plugs in the floorboard then you might be okay. Im sure the carpet is **** along with the seats now. Im always for saving an f-body so go for it. You can find all the parts you need on here.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

for now see if your friend can atleast cover the car with a tarp or something. your gunna have to gut your carpet, headliner, and seats at the least. the dash and plastic molding should of held up, but i would remove it and clean underneath to kill all the mold that could possibly grow.

the choice is up to you if you really wanted to get it running again. it should only cost a few thousand to get new carpet and seats. buying used on this board is always a good way to go. if your car has high mileage, id say screw it and part out what you can. also talk to your insurance company and see how much you would be able to gain if you have comprehensive insurance.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

It got wet inside and you want to total it out? Lame. Fix it.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:19 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

You can get replacement lightweight carpet from speedinc for a pretty good price, i am sure you could piece it back together from this forum and local junkyards, going to the stealership if you have to for the hard parts.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, pull the drain plugs and interior and dry it out and it'll be fine. No worries. The harnesses running under the carpet are waterproof
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:22 PM
Teching In

I bought a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette at an auction that had been flooded to the point where it wet the carpet.

ECM is in passenger floor board and got wet. Had to be replaced as well as power seat motors. Needed new engine oil, transmission fluid, and differential fluid. After that, good to go. Everything worked. Then, after a week or two, some things mysteriously stopped working. Found that the fuse box, and "star packs", which are also in the passenger floor board, were corroded to heck. Had to be all pulled out as well as the fuses and cleaned thouroughly.

That there was with southern Oklahoma creek water. I believe salt water does WAY more damage to anything it touches that it is not supposed to. Like wheels bearings and stuff like that.

In my situation, I made a few grand off the car in a single month and got to drive 500 miles in pure American, tire spinnin' style. Which is why I am on this website. Fell in love with third generation SBCs.

Basically, if more than just the floor got wet, there is going to be A LOT of connectors, fuses, and wires to have to deal with to keep functional. I just got lucky with the 'Vette having as little damage as it did. But, if it were my vehicle from the get-go, I would MOST likely have the insurance guy come out and give me some money fer it.

That is just my experience. Up to you, man.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:23 PM
Banned

I say something fell on it and broke the t-tops out. They blew off? BULLSHIT. You're either wanting insurance money or someone stole them. My car has been through three hurricanes, they don't blow t-tops off.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

well a cat 3 hurican rolled over it and has been dumping rain in it since monday. and it isn't going to get covered untill tomorow if i am lucky. mayb the car cover snagged the top when it blew off. i have flood insurance so well see what happens. and not to mention im deployed with the coast for another month. all i got was "hey tell who ever owns the black T/A a t-top blew off". so to the best of my knowledge she'll just be sitting there untill i get back..
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:36 PM
Banned

When you get back to it be sure to post back here with pics of what fell on it. IT DID NOT BLOW OFF.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the insurance money, move on. Every time something goes wrong a little voice in the back of your head will say "You should have gotten rid of it!". If you like the car it can be replaced with one of equal or greater value and coolness.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
It got wet inside and you want to total it out? Lame. Fix it.
ive seen people total out perfectly fine fbodys. they get a good deal on it and then they total it out thinking they will get more money which they may but its ******* sad.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

how much would a 00 WS6, m6 with 78000 total out to? kbb said 10800. im not being greedy, its just that it will be another month before i can even touch it. god only knows what could happen.
Old 09-02-2008 | 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

depends on your coverage, some will go by kbb, some will go with what they are selling for in that area. i got 8 when my 02 v6 got stolen, and i know it didnt kbb for that, but thats what local lots were selling them for.
Old 09-02-2008 | 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

so i just got an update. 3 feet of water in her. no word on how the t-top failed. so again wats a oo ws6 worth?
Old 09-02-2008 | 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

man sorry to hear that your car got fucked. well nada says about 12,000-13,800 i would get insurence $$$ and get another.
Old 09-03-2008 | 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

yea like what others have said pull the plugs and go aftermarket...arizen seats
Old 09-03-2008 | 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I still don't understand how a ttop blew off. People only lose them when driving if they don't pull the lever closed and wind gets unde rthe ttop and lifts up, but if teh car is all closed up I don't think even 100mph winds could get enough of a hold on the edge of it to lift it up at that angle. Interiors really aren't that expensive to redo...
Old 09-03-2008 | 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

i managed to save my camaro after it flooded in hurricane Wilma in 05.

salt water got inside and was up almost to the bottom of the seats.

i pulled the seats, and the entire rug out. washed it with tons of fresh water (used it as a chance to clean those annoying hard to get stains), both top and underneath.

i hosed out the interior and dried it

everything has been fine since then.

other than my 02 sensors needing replacement, nothing mechanical was even wrong.
the insurance adjusters were totalling ANYTHING that had water inside...and some that didn't even have that.

i chose to keep mine...i had enough in parts that i would have ended up in the red.

some pics

when i pulled my trans...i could see the corrosion line from how far the water got up

this was after the water came DOWN. and its straight storm surge (ocean water)...not rain/fresh water!!!

good luck....i say rebuild the bitch...with some insurance money if possible.
Old 09-03-2008 | 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with others about the tops unless you or someone else left them unlatched. Otherwise, the tops will not and can not blow off period. Something could have hit them or someone could have stolen them who knows. Good luck with what you do.