General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO or something else?

I have been thinking quite a bit about the LS1 or LS2 Goats lately. They offer the feel of a non-domestic (well cuz it really isn't) and they are dirt cheap, reliable and with low miles in the $1X,XXX range now. I was thinking about buying one and either going full bolt ons or maybe even S/C (I think Turbo will cost me way too much unless I buy one already built) now don't get me wrong I love the WS6 and SS but it's a bit on the long side and the insides are somewhat dated for what I am looking for as a DD. What do you all think of that I know the Goat has problems putting good rubber out back so would it be somewhat pointless? Is there any other car you would suggest for V8 RWD? I thought of the G8 but the cost of the car it self would leave me having only a stock car for quite some time.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has an 06 and we have modified it some and I absolutely love that car. Feels better than a BMW to me inside and drives better too.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I recently drove this GTO:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/staff-vehicles-showcase/716787-ls1tech-com-gto-twin-turbo-installed.html

And it was VERY comfortable, very nice to drive, very quick, and very fun. The APS kit is awesome. Car rides / drives like stock until you floor it, and then it's a rocket. Wheelhop is a bit much, and the 19's don't stick on the road, but it's still a lot of fun to drive. It's quiet, no rattles... just a nice driving car. I wish I'd been the one who'd bought it. And plenty of room in the engine bay to work on stuff. I can stick my fist between the exhaust manifold and wheel well, and it won't touch either side. Can't say that about my Camaro!

If I got a GTO (and yes, I've looked too), I'd put an APS kit on it, maybe a fuel pump, wheels, and leave everything else alone. The APS kit makes it so nice. I've driven big cammed / cube cars, and the twin kit is a much easier drive.

Then again, I'm old, so I don't care much for the dying at stoplights, louder than heck, rattly cars any more.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

That's an interesting thought. I guess they are quite and comfortable. They are like an evolved Fbody. Of course you don't get the TTopless cruising or the loud exhaust rumble that you can hear. People who want a bimmer and and a LS1 car are two different types of car enthusiasts. I would have to say the LSx cars are the ultimate driving machine! lol
Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my friend owns an 05 gto, stock and its like night and day riding/driving it from my car.

go test drive a few, then test drive some camaros and let urself be the judge.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

240SX w/ LSx...can't beat it.

Of course, I'm a little biased. But then again, it weighs 1000lbs. less than a heavy *** Goat.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice car but there are a few small things that irritate me. Floor mats are made of some odd uncomfortable fabric. No oil gauge or volt gauge. In my camaro the doors automatically lock and unlock when when starting or shutting off the car. In the GTO they do not. I prefer the leather in my camaro over the textured leather in the GTO. Key fob does not have a replaceable battery.

Yes, all of this seems very nit picky and trivial but I suppose since its my DD I have to deal with it all on a daily basis and end up eager to drive my camaro at the end of the day.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

GTOs are the refined muscle cars of today. Somewhere between an f-bod and a vette. more towards the vette, basically a vette for the family. driven an 05 once, with an old friend, it was his, and he was driving my camaro, it was so funny, cause i got in his car and i was so physched and then we started driving around and i found myself jelous of him cause people were looking at my car, mainly cause of the stupid loud exhaust, and some teenagers in a honda at a stoplight were talking to him about it and saying it was a nice car. Anyway, if u like refinment, GTO all the way, to nice of a ride for me, i like the harsh power myself. seen some nasty turbo setups on them though, go for it bro! options are thier.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ha ha, I will agree about the oil gauge (volt doesn't bother me). But yeah, it really does need one. Lock/unlock can be solved with an aftermarket alarm if need be (my 85 Fiero does that ).

And the key. Jeez that thing is huge. Is that a goat key in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? I've seen smaller cell phones. But I do like the car overall!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

I drive an 06 GTO and absolutely love it. I have a cam and headers running 12.27 @ 112MPH. The interior has real leather and suede and looks great. I get so many compliments on how the gauges and some stitching match the color of the car. I am very picky about the interior, and have not found any rattles or creeks yet. The F-Body is much easier to put the power to the ground, but the interior should have went out with the mid 90's. The styling is decent on the F-Body, but as mentioned they are difficult to work on. GTO can have plugs and wires changed in less than 20 minutes. I agree though, no oil and voltage gauges suck, as well as the expenses of aftermarket parts.

Pros and cons to both, but I am very happy with mine!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Ditto on a GTO. I also have an 06. The best interior of any Pontiac in my opinion and very stoute. The looks could be better but ive did alot of appearance stuff to make mine apart. And they are easy as hell to work on. I had my driver side head off(when i broke a 918) in less than 2 hours. Ive only got $6200 tied into mine(including almost 2k in suspension) and its pushing 458WHP cam only and it stands out looks wise as well
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I am mainly intrigued by the GTO because of its level of refinement and fit and finish. It is also a good amount of years "newer" and look a bit more up to date inside and out if you will. They are now dirt cheap, you can find a 2004 GTO with the same mileage as an LS1 SS that is 3-4 years older in the same condition for the same price.

I am concerned about the handling aspect though, most that are coming from RWD V8 cars other than Vettes say it handles great however I am coming from cars like EVO's and SRT-4s that are much lighter and more nimble. How well can this car be made to handle and under what budget, I also am concerned about actually sticking the power down on a road course or a drag strip and what it will take to do so without the rear looking akward like some GTO's with lots of rubber out back do.

All motor or forced induction is also the other question. This sounds dumb but what kind of MPG are you getting with what mods?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have owned both now ( so many F-body's I can't even count.) I still like the Ram-Air T'a's, but they just seam dated after driving my Goat. Pedders makes everything you need to make it handle like a Vette, and with a little work, you can get some decent tires on them. Everyone bitches about the wieght, but with very little work, I have mine down to about 3520ish race weight (without me.) That is not that much more than a F-body, and 50 more ponies to start with. Spend the extra $3K and get an '05. Bigger brakes, better looing hood, split dual exhaust, and of course the infamous LS2. There are a BUNCH of them for sale now, and they are only getting cheaper. I was running 13.1-13.3 w/ a K&N and a hand-held tuner...on street tires...plus I get 24-25mpg on the way to the track.

As stated, just go test drive some. They will make up your mind for you.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

i could be wrong here but for the price of a GT0 couldnt you get like a pretty descent c5?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
i could be wrong here but for the price of a GT0 couldnt you get like a pretty descent c5?
Yeah except for 1 thing. Rear seats. Granted, there's not much of a rear seat, and moving the front seat forward/back electrically is funny, but a C5 doesn't meet spec there. If you ever need to take more than 1 person along, a C5 won't do... That's the thing that kept me out of Corvettes. I have 3 kids.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a good dd car and of course it has its faults like rear tire size will never be bigger than a 275 unless you do a mini tub kit. IRS=FAIL when trying to hook up at the track and the oil pressure gauge but besides those set backs its a great car.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

gto=family vette!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

So because the power is hard to put down at the 1/4 track because rubber is not plentiful out back due to measurement issues and then the IFS... does this mean that a S/C or Turbo GTO would have trouble putting down power on say, a road course? Or is that where it would shine?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

They'll hook pretty damn good with a set of drag bags. A friend of mine managed 12.7s at 108 in his '05 A4. This was with a full exhaust, tune, drag bags, and on stock tires.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

The suspension is not that bad. I went 12.8's last weekend with very few mods, DR's and drag bags. A friend with an '04 went 12.7 with several mods, DR's, and Drag bags. One of the fastest Goats on the street around here went 11.2x's all night with bolt-ons, 175 shot of nitrous, Stock rear suspenion w/ drag bags, and some MT's. He was cutting 1.55 60's...better than most of the F-body guys.

The back seat is actually quite comfortable, even for two adults to sit in, and I don't see you getting a nice vette with low miles for $13-17K. I have seen nice '04's for a little as $13,500, and '05's for a little as $16,500 lately.