General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

best fitting infant car seat in f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question best fitting infant car seat in f-body?

im fixing to be a daddy to a baby girl. im having a hard time getting an infant carseat to fit in the back of my 00 trans am. does anybody know of a infant car seat that fits?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congratulations!!!

Most baby seats will fit the back seats when facing front. Newborns have to face the rear of the car, so that's not gonna work out unless you move the passenger seat all
the way to the front.

I never actually carried my son in my car until he was big enough to face the front.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simpson, the same people that do nascar seats,have some really good infant seats out.
They are quite pricey though. Desgined just like a race car seats with the head bolster and the saftey harness.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

With a newborn,
they need to be a baby "carrier" type car seat facing backward.
I test fitted several different brands, none of them fit unless the passenger seat was all the way forward which leaves no room for the passenger.

So I was never able to use my car with a passenger and my son in it.

Now, he uses a booster seat and it fits ok, in the back

Sorry, I'm sure this is not what you were hoping to hear.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have fit a my nephews carrier in the back seat but the passenger seat was all the way up.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

maybe you should trade it to somebody who doesnt have an fbody, a 2000 ford taurus sounds perfect for your growing family, haha.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

We have a Graco car seat. The base that comes with it will not fit in the back seat. You can still put the car seat itself back there, you just have to buckle the seat in each time, where with the base you have kind of a quick release. But yeah, my wife has to sit with the seat about all they way up, so we rarely drive my Camaro with all three of us.

Congrats by the way, my daughter will be 4 months old this Sunday.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by green28
We have a Graco car seat. The base that comes with it will not fit in the back seat. You can still put the car seat itself back there, you just have to buckle the seat in each time, where with the base you have kind of a quick release. But yeah, my wife has to sit with the seat about all they way up, so we rarely drive my Camaro with all three of us.

Congrats by the way, my daughter will be 4 months old this Sunday.
Yep. Thats the same kinda carseat we got and thats the exact same thing we do. Doesn`t leave any room for the passenger but it works if we need to do it that way. We hardly ever do it that way though cuz my fiance has got our family car, good ole 2006 Malibu. Congrats also, my sons gonna be 3 months on the 12th.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife and i ONLY have camaros, and a 2 month old, we have a GRACO rear faceing seat with the de-attaching base, fits JUST FINE in the back seat, just have to have the level adjustment all the way out for the angle to be ok and the passenger seat all the way up, and my wife sits behind me with the kid. TRUE camaro lovers.. LOL works fine though!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the graco. The trick is to put it between the seats with both seatbelts crossing in and holding it down. That kept me from having my knees in my face. LOL
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
+1 on the graco. The trick is to put it between the seats with both seatbelts crossing in and holding it down. That kept me from having my knees in my face. LOL
Think its safe that way?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also used the Graco infant seat in our SS when my son was under the front facing limit. Luckily my wife is only 5'-4" and she could fit in the passenger seat, or I would sit behind her while she drove. Very easy to put him in and take him out, thanks to the base that stays mounted in the vehicle. My son loved looking out the back window, but now he sits facing forward and hates it. I have the Simpson seat in my SS. Main thing is just make sure you secure them all tightly. We have one baby seast in all of our three vehicles.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
maybe you should trade it to somebody who doesnt have an fbody, a 2000 ford taurus sounds perfect for your growing family, haha.
bullshit! i have a grand am gt. she'll just have to ride it that. i got her home in the t/a though!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I've got to give mad props to ModularTurbo.

Sitting on the trans hump with the belts crossed works AWESOME. So much room, doesn't affect the front seats and is incredibly secure.

For the record, this is in a rear facing Britax Marathon using the rear tether strap around the passenger seat leg.

That baby(the seat) ain't going anywhere.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i was searching and just had to see this. Great thread guys. And yes i am bringing it back from the dead because its about child safety.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Launching!

My next trick is getting the Britax in facing forward. The rear facing on the hump was fantastic.

The other next trick is putting the seat in the 67 Firebird convertible. Any advice? It would actually work best in the front seat, but I think that is illegal.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

My car has a strict ~10 yrs or older policy. You might get a car seat in there, but kids have this incredible knack of destroying anything near them for any length of time.... I'd simply die the day I found gum or candy stuck to my leather seats.

We have a Silverado and a Pontiac G6 GT for the shuttle duties.

My two cents, FWIW.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Launching!

i'd remove the passenger seat and she can sit in the back with the baby until she is old enough to face forward.

thats what i'd do. grats and the new one
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Teching In

I might try taking out the bucket seat and putting the car seat on the floor. The seatbelt would still work fine and might make more space for everyone. I havtn't actually tried this. Just an idea.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I did that with 2 kids. I ended up buying a pos 96 honda civc beater lol.
But just this past fathers day my kids wanted to go for a ride in the race car so I went through the hassle of switching cars. I was reminded how much these cars ARE NOT MADE FOR KIDS LOL.

I also tried to fit the seats with no back seats. The car seats will not fit to the floor so I had to throw the buckets back in and do it like that. I also didnt have my pass seat in because of the weight reduction I did. That made it ALOT easier to do all this.

So anyway, I took them for a ride and the car seats ended up back in the beater car an hour later LOL!

Quick Reply: best fitting infant car seat in f-body?