General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP, car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, car won't start

went to work, car started no problem. battery is fine, radio play, lights come on, system thumps, voltometer goes up to about 11 or 12 but when i turn the key nothing at all happens. doesn't turn over at all. no noise, nothing. like a wire was cut or something. i have no idea...starter? alternator? haven't had a single issue with it cranking funny till now, and no crank at all.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't hear anything, your starter isn't working because it's shot or something is up with the starter wires/circuit.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is your security light on when you turn the car to "on"? If so, it is the security system, mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago. I took my key out, fiddled with the fuses, locked and unlocked the car a few times and then it started right up. Maybe try disconnecting the battery or resetting the PCM to see if that works.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

the chip reader in the ignition switch might have a broken wire. thats what happened to mine.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't remember about the security thing coming on. someone suggested the clutch button that closes the circuit so your car can start might be going bad. if i disconnect those two wires going in to that connector, will it close the loop so i don't have to put the clutch in when i start the car?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the Security light, and even if the light isn't on(could be burned out) then try getting a new key made its lik 10$ and you don't wanna start cutting wires to disable the clutch, that will end badly...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you can bypass it that easily. Starters can go without much warning so keep that in mind. How many miles on your car?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the ignition switch to me. Not the key but the ignition switch itself. No sound, no clicking, no ses light.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

68k miles. how would i know if it is the ignition?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are all of your dash lights coming on when the key is turned to ON?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Mines been doing the same thing.. Luckily i bought a warranty.. So far new ign and starter relays.. Neutral safety switch.. and battery.. Still have same issue..

They are putting a New Body control module in it tomorrow. They called the GM technical help line to tell them what was wrong.. and GM said the BCM. And if that doesnt fix it.. Its got to be in the column.

Disconnecting the battery wont cure the issue. i can get it to start.. sometimes it takes longer than others.. But i will lock and unlock the doors.. Make sure that clutch pedal is pushed all the way down.. And turn and hold the key to start until it goes.. It will eventually start. Mine hasnt taken any more than 2 mins to start. Go to radio shack and shoot some contact cleaner in your IGN switch.. And take a eraser and clean off the resistor on the key. Because if the switch isnt reading the resistor right it wont start either.

Its a phantom start issue and its frustrating as hell.. Until i figured out my "routine" i was playing nascar pit crew with my car on the days i had to work until i could get it into the dealer. Cause it will jump start if you pop the clutch.

And guess what.. it may start fine for a couple days than start all over again! I love my FBODY!!! lol But no really i love my car and i hope this next part fixes it. Hope this helped

Oh and my car only has 49K miles. so it could happen at any time.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Teching In

If it isnt any of the above problems, your suggestion of starter could be close, GM runs everything through the solenoid and that will result in the same things happening, sometimes it will allow the lights and radio to work but wont start. I was having the same problem with my vette about three years ago.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Update:

Dealer replaced the BCM today and so far so good.. has started every time. NO delays or anything. even went out on a date and it started good! I figured if it was going to act up.. going on a date would cause it to eff up..

If the original OP has Q's PM me and ill let you know if i still have the issue in the next few days.. so far so good.