General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heating issue - NO HEAT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heating issue - NO HEAT!!!!

I picked up a 96 Cavalier for a winter beater. Only problem is that the heat doesn't work at all. Obviously, winter weather is upon us, and I froze driving it. The temp gauge barely registers any heat in the cooling system. The car doesn't overheat either. What's the problem here?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like there may be air in the heating loop, or a clog in the heater core?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

More like a stuck open thermostat. If its always open its always circulating and it will never warm up.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

I was leaning more towards stuck open thermostat. A clog or air bubble usually makes it run hot, or at least I was under the impression.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
I was leaning more towards stuck open thermostat. A clog or air bubble usually makes it run hot, or at least I was under the impression.
You are correct. Air bubbles tend to make I run hotter.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, swapped out the thermostat, twice. Still barely any heat. The cooling fan is staying on all the time. What would cause this?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

It wont when the stat is closed. My next educated guess would be a clogged heater core.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, let me edit that. It gets hot when idling, and driving less than 50mph. The heat decreases with speed. The cooling fan is staying on all the time. I doubt it's the relay though.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Ok scratch that. lol So you have a new stat and you get heat, just not when you are moving above 50mph.

How cold is it up there?

If your fans are staying on that is a problem. Most cars fans dont kick on until the coolant gets above 200*F. Relays work off electromagnetism so you might have a short in the signal wire to the relay causing it to stay closed.

Pull the relay and see if it helps. Dont take her on a long haul just enough to see if it works. If you get heat your problem lies in the fans. That could mean a bad relay or a computer error.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do the air modes work (panel, floor, defrost, etc?) Also are you only trying to get heat with the defroster on? Cause the fans may be coming on since the A/C compressor is on during defrost
Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Dude I hade a 95 cavalier as a beater and in the winter that cars engine would never get hot enough to effect the heater. I just had to freeze.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:11 AM
12 Second Club

All air modes work. I'm using the main dash vents, which shouldn't cause the compressor to kick on.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 PM
wrencher

The compressor & fans will run if the defrost is selected.
Dont know if you can trust the coolant temp gauge though, they are known to be inaccurate at times.
Heat decreasing w/ speed would suggest a heater core is plugged. You might need to flush it out or even replace it.
Another possibility is the blend door inside the dash. If it is not going to the full hot & sealing, you can get poor heat. It will worsen w/speed due to the air being induced thru the fresh air intake in the cowl.
The thermostat should be able to maintain enough temp to give you heat. They have been know to be problematic as well I think delco has a new one/updated version for the 2.2. Is this a 2.2 or a 2.4?
If the fans are on all the time that issue needs to be addressed as well .
If they are on HVAC controls off, pull the fan relays. If they go off then you know where to start looking. Lots of those early OBD-II J bodies had problems w/ PCM's too.
They put it on top the air dam under the passenger headlamp. Lots of water intrusion problems.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
The compressor & fans will run if the defrost is selected.
Dont know if you can trust the coolant temp gauge though, they are known to be inaccurate at times.
Heat decreasing w/ speed would suggest a heater core is plugged. You might need to flush it out or even replace it.
Another possibility is the blend door inside the dash. If it is not going to the full hot & sealing, you can get poor heat. It will worsen w/speed due to the air being induced thru the fresh air intake in the cowl.
The thermostat should be able to maintain enough temp to give you heat. They have been know to be problematic as well I think delco has a new one/updated version for the 2.2. Is this a 2.2 or a 2.4?
If the fans are on all the time that issue needs to be addressed as well .
If they are on HVAC controls off, pull the fan relays. If they go off then you know where to start looking. Lots of those early OBD-II J bodies had problems w/ PCM's too.
They put it on top the air dam under the passenger headlamp. Lots of water intrusion problems.
Ok - finally had some time to play with it again.

I'm not selecting defrost. Only dash vents.

The coolant temp gauge is pretty accurate, because it's sinking below operating range, and then I'm getting cold air.

I don't think it's the heater core, I was driving it tonight through heavy Chicago traffic, and it was pumping out PLENTY of heat.

Blend door is sealing, because it's not going cold quickly. It takes it a minute to cool off and it corresponds to the temp gauge.

I may pick up a Delco stat. It is a 2.2, and the thermostat is really poorly designed IMHO. However, this would make a 4th thermostat in a month.

Ok, I pulled the relay, and the fan turned off. Went to autozone, picked up a new relay. Fans are still on all the time! I'm starting to think that it's a PCM issue, which will really **** me off. What codes should it be throwing for a dead PCM?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
wrencher

Might not throw any codes at all. You need to scan that thing & see if there is a cooling fan request. It's either that or you have awiring issue. The PCM grounds the relay to turn it on thus activating the controlled circuit.
Try to drive it w/out the relay/no fans & see how the heat reacts.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

What over the counter scan tool would tell me if the fans are being commanded on/off? Would any of the Actron stuff at Autozone suffice?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
wrencher

Any with the capabilityto get the GM data stream. there are many out there.
I caanot remeber if that is also a generic OBD-II info PID might be able to get it w/those scanners capable of generic info as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

I tried pulling the relay, still no heat at highway speed.