General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Super Newbie Question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Newbie Question!

This is embarrassing but i gotta learn. I have a 99 Trans am with an automatic tranny. i want to change the tranny fluid but ive never done it before how do i do it? is there any step by step (with pictures preffered..LOL) directions out there? i want to learn how to do this myself....thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove all the bolts around the pan. pull old filter out, install new filter,install pan. add 5 quarts of dex3.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

well that sounds almost as simple as doing an engine oil change. thank you i appreciate it! is there any little detail i should watch out for before i get started? its just that it sounds so simple.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

leave a couple of the front bolts loose when you remove the rest that way you can angle the pan down and pour the majority of the fluid out so it doesnt come crashing down and spill fluid everywhere.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Pull the pan, replace the filter. Get a pan with a drain so this will be a **** load easier next time.

When you put the pan back on, use sealant only. I would use either The Right Stuff or Toyota transmission sealant.

I still have to do the one on my Camaro.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Since this is your first time, get ready to make a mess. While the pan is down check it to make sure that it is clean and when putting the bolts back on don't over tighten them, they can strip easy, if you have a speed wrench that will be perfect. Also depending on how many times you have used a sealant I would go with a good gasket, IMO. Unless you feel confident in using the sealent, great. If you are doing this because your transmission is acting up chances are this will not help and money will be wasted. But if not this will really help you save some money by doing it your self. Good luck
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Also when filling it up put the four qts in and after that check the fluid level and then proceed to fill up as needed with the fifth qt. Just make sure you don't over fill it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

I would take it to a local shop and have them do a tranny flush .That takes all the fluid out of your tranny and replaces it w/ new fluid.Just draining the pan does'nt get all the old fluid out so you are just mixing new w/old.Last time i had it done it was $69.00 well worth it.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't get the tranny flush. Too many people have tranny problems after a flush. If you don't have access to a hoist this will be a messy job while you are on your back under it. To get more fluid out I remove the cooling line to the radiator and start the engine to pump out as much fluid as possible. Just be sure to shut it off as soon as the fluid stops coming out. Put a straight edge on the pan to see if the bolt holes have been pushed-in from too much tightening. If so, peen them with a ball peen hammer before reinstalling. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Also remember to change the gasket. Ive seen it where people dont, and then it leaks afterward with the old gasket.