General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

So I just changed my rear end oil but I think I did something wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I just changed my rear end oil but I think I did something wrong...

When it came time to add the oil and additive, I pulled the vent tube and poured the gear oil there...it was my first time and I wasn't sure where the fill plug was, I thought that was it...so, I put in 2 quarts ans 1 bottle of additive and it never leaked. Am I going to have any problems? I put the tube back and the car didn't make any noises and it drove fine. I feel like an idiot.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure what vent tube you are talking about??

There is a plug on the bottom of the rear end that you take out to drain the fluid. There is a plug on the side of the rear end also, that's where you put the new fluid in. Get a cheap little hand pump that fits the top of the new bottle of fluid, at any parts store, and pump the new fluid into the rear end through the side plug until it overflows back out. Then the level of fluid is correct and you are done.

Hope you are sure you got fluid back into the rear end. If not sure, don't drive it. I may sound fine until it locks up and you are screwed. New fluid goes in the side of the rear end, not a vent tube.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghardester
Not sure what vent tube you are talking about??

There is a plug on the bottom of the rear end that you take out to drain the fluid. There is a plug on the side of the rear end also, that's where you put the new fluid in. Get a cheap little hand pump that fits the top of the new bottle of fluid, at any parts store, and pump the new fluid into the rear end through the side plug until it overflows back out. Then the level of fluid is correct and you are done.

Hope you are sure you got fluid back into the rear end. If not sure, don't drive it. I may sound fine until it locks up and you are screwed. New fluid goes in the side of the rear end, not a vent tube.

Quick pic I just found:

It was a plug that I just pulled out, not a screw.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by carwatcher
Quick pic I just found:

It was a plug that I just pulled out, not a screw.
Yeah, the one with the green arrow that says factory fill plug is where the new fluid goes. It should be filled until it starts coming back out the hole to get the proper level. I think it's a hex wrench to get the plug out.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

To get that plug out all you need is a 1/2'' socket wrench with no socket on it , and don't quote me on this but "all roads lead to rome" right?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

i'd suggest pulling the plug out and sticking your finger in there to check the fluid level and to make sure the fluid is where it's supposed to be
Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just pull the fill plug out, and let the excess drain out.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Yea pull the plug out and let it drain till it stops. Please make sure it is on level ground haha.. If there is too much fluid that is not good. Mine took about 1 1/2-3/4 + additive I think.. so your not over too far
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Don't feel too bad. I too had a bad experience with filling differential fluid. While I was pumping in the new fluid I had the plastic/rubber hose come off of the pump and it went completely inside the chunk. Rather than removing the cover I just let the gears chew it up....haha