General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Cuts off only on a right turn Only?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car Cuts off only on a right turn Only?!?!

Ok so i just got my fuel pump changed..Im sure the problem im having is related to that! So my car only cuts off when I turn the steering wheel to the right! It doesnt have to be a complete turn. Sometime it will do it even when i merge to the next lane but it doesnt completely cut off then. It will just hesitate and lose complete power even under acceleration until the steering wheel is back straight and then i can accelerate again. But if i make a complete right turn it will just die! It will start back up everytime though right away! As long as i keep my steering wheel straight or im making a left turn im ok. Any Idea's why this is happening!? Thanks for the Help!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it do it when the tank is completely full too?

Last edited by LS6427; 03-14-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

No it doesnt. Actually I havent filled my tank up since the fuel pump change. But i noticed when I put about $20 in it it doesnt do it right away. But see the thing is when my mechanic changed my fuel pump now my gas guage doesnt work. It just stays on E like its always empty.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like he didn't do it right/completely. Hopefully he didn't modify the bucket your fuel pump sits in. The bucket fills up to cool your pump and keep constant fueling to your engine in turns. My 87 does that bc it doesn't have a fuel pump bucket. If I fill it up it's fine once it gets to under 1/4 tank I had hesitation until the fuel reached the injectors again. Sounds like the sending unit is broken/not connected as well and is causing the gauge to not work.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a screwed up install or the wires are damaged or something.

what firechicken said. Sending unit is not there or not installed correctly, not connected, or wires damaged.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

o ok. so basically your saying during turns the fuel isnt reaching the injectors and thats causing the hesitation/dying problem?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, if he modified the bucket or removed it when you turn it is starving the fuel pump of fuel and it's causing the issue. If he removed it or modified/broke it, it will shorten the life of the pump considerably since the fuel is what cools your pump. So when you starve it, it has no cooling and heats up and wears faster.

Cliff notes - no fuel in the pump = no fuel to injectors = no fuel in cylinder = no go.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok makes sense. But why only on a right turn? It will seem like that occur even if i turned left also. So it is something is particular thats only causing this at right turns and not left turns at all!? Thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure what side the pump sucks fuel from stock but sounds like he installed it pulling fuel from the passenger side of the car so when you turn right it sloshes to the driver side and starves the pump. Like I said my 87 did this same thing until the damn pump burnt out entirely. I was turning and starving the pump and burt it up.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=1987firechicken;11244681]Yes, if he modified the bucket or removed it when you turn it is starving the fuel pump of fuel and it's causing the issue. If he removed it or modified/broke it, it will shorten the life of the pump considerably since the fuel is what cools your pump. So when you starve it, it has no cooling and heats up and wears faster.

You know what is funny about that! Ok here is the story. He said was going to charge $800 to change the fuel pump and that included labor and parts. So i thought that was a bit expensive. So i told him i would buy my own fuel pump and i just paid for the labor. So it seemed like he was mad because i didnt want to pay 800. So I finally purchased one and took it up to him. He then said that you should go with ac delco. So he said the fuel pump wasnt made for the car. Although it is a universal one for gm cars including ours. SO then he said it might only last about 5 days because it looks like a cheap pump and its not made for your car. Now that u say that "it will shorten the life of the pump considerably" makes me wonder if he did indeed remove the bucket because as i said he was mad because i wasnt paying 800 and you could clearly tell by his voice and everything. Hmm. Im going to take it to the chevy dealer and have them look at it. Will that be to much money or should i Just go to another local mechanic?

Last edited by demarco313; 03-14-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Ughhh what a mess.

Sounds like he may have cut up the bucket either out of spite or he was correct about it not being the correct fuel pump (meaning it didn't fit in the bucket so he removed or cut into it). If it was a decent (I.E. non chinese) pump then it will last longer then 5 days even starving it. Mine lived for 4 years before it gave up.

You may want to try taking a crack at it yourself since I don't think it will be cheap for you. On my 87 it was 300$ for a new pump but funny story those ******** broke my sending unit too. Most of the cost is the labor to drop the gas tank from your car and drain and purge it. Your probably going to need a new bucket too. It's not too bad a proceedure if you take your time. If you cut a access panel in your trunk you can pull it out and see what is going on without dropping the tank. There are a few threads on here on where to cut and how to replace it. I'm not sure on dealer cost but I'd guess the 600$ area.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html

There you go thats how to cut the access panel to pull the pump yourself, it also kinda shows you what the stock bucket looks like.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok here is the fuel pump i purchased (see bottom link- Check that out and let me know what u think). Although it is cheap i researched it and read alot of customer reviews and didnt hear not 1 bad thing about it who put it on our cars. Yours lived up to 4 yrs but how long did it take for yours to start messing up when you were making turns after you 1st installed it? Was it after a couple of days of installation or how long? thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was installed in the car when I bought it and it did it from day 1. I just kept the tank over 1/4 as much as possible. It's not an issue with it wearing out it's just an incorrect installation or modification. If I cut a hole in the bucket I would 100% expect to have the problem your having on the first start up.

As far as the pump, I don't feel comfortable commenting on it as I'm not an expert on brands and I have never heard of them. Only thing that caught my eye was it says some modification is required on vehicles and it is a copy of the Walbro design. If it is a true Walbro copy the bucket has to be modified to work correctly. Check that link I posted it tell you what you have to do to put a Walbro pump into a stock bucket. It involves cutting a hole in the bucket therefore disabling the function of the bucket.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you firechicken! you have been very helpful! o ok. Can you send me that link again because i dont see it? thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html

No problem, I'm not promising you thats the issue but the first step would be taking the pump out and taking a look at his work, thats where I would start. From my experience though I'd say that is your problem though. Your going to have to do it anyhow if you plan on fixing the sending unit and getting your gauge working again. Might save you on labor if you take it in and tell them they can pull it out without dropping the tank if your a smooth talker.

Last edited by 1987firechicken; 03-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks. The bad part about it is im not sound on fixing my own problems with cars so more than likely it will have to see a mechanic .. And you said the sending unit is my problem with the gas guage? I also heard it could be the float from a couple of ppl? Is that correct?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Could be one could be both. I'd say the sending unit is more likely. It's all one piece maybe one of the connectors poped off.
Attached Thumbnails Car Cuts off only on a right turn Only?!?!-fuel-pump.jpg  
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

o ok. O yea i forgot to mention another thing i noticed after the fuel pump change was that now it doesnt start right away. Like if i put the key in and just try to start it regularly it wont start, just constantly turns over. But it always seems to start the 2nd time 95% of the time or sometimes the 3rd time. (trying to start it regularly) I noticed that if i turn my key to the on position and wait for like 2 secs and then try to start it it will start the 1st time every single time so thats how i always do it now. But it wasnt doing this before the swap and i know its not normal to have to turn the key to the on position to get it to start the 1st time. If i dont let it prime for a sec or 2 then it wont start on the 1st try. Not sure if that means anything or any symptoms to some of the problems i have or what but i know its not normal
Old 03-14-2009, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a bucket issue. Pull the bucket and take a look at it. Its not hard to do if you cut the access panel to get to it.

Quick Reply: Car Cuts off only on a right turn Only?!?!