General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tac, Fuel, Temp, ABS, ASR, etc....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tac, Fuel, Temp, ABS, ASR, etc....

Wasn't sure if I should post this in a new thread or not seeing as question had a *similar* problem, but it may be of help to both of us.

Upon starting my car a week after I got it back from the body shop (don't ask), here is a list of issues I've been experiencing:

Dash lights on:
ABS, Brake, ASR, Air Bag, Check Gauges, Service Engine Soon, Service Vehicle, Security

Gauges inoperable:
Fuel, Temp, Tac

Other issues:
I hear the starter clicking, and the radio turn on while I was chasing wires under the car... while the keys were in my pocket (No, I don't have a remote starter, and I immediately got my head out from under the car.)

Car alarm goes off periodically, when it's having its conniptions.

I talked to a lot of people getting input and this my last ditch effort before I push her off a cliff.

The closest I've come to fixing this problem was changing the ignition switch. Although a huge pain in the ***** to do, all my lights went off and my gauges started working. Until the engine got hot and it all went to hell again. I believe it is the ignition switch that controls all of that, but something else is making it go bad. my guess is a bad ground or short. I'm frustrated that my fuses aren't blowing though. Maybe she's possessed. Car officially named Christine (I know it's cliche, but it being possessed is the most rational explanation it seems.)

Just about to jump under her again to chase wires (battery disconnected this time.) When I was following the negative terminal that runs past the exhaust manifold, I could feel the individual wires, maybe the heat is doing something else if not melting them. I just can't see what's going on. wish me luck, and please give me (and question) some useful feedback. Thanks.

*Edit*

I wonder if the body shop disconnected the battery and grounded the car when they were welding... That could be hard to prove if it's the case, and even harder for me to fix on my budget.

Last edited by The Vex; 04-23-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Misinformation
Old 04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

RESOLVED!!! (for now)

Well I'll be damned... I was chasing wires, moving them around by the exhaust manifold, and one seemed stuck most likely the one that runs to the starter. So I wiggled it loose, reconnected the battery, and the car is 100%. The second ignition switch wasn't blown after all, and the first one probably isn't either. I'll keep you posted because I will probably have more issues later on, but for now I'll chalk that up as a faulty ground/short, and a free fix (it finally doesn't cost me anything!!!... well except the unnecessary $13 I paid for a new ignition switch, but I'll take that any day.)
Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Teching In

UNRESOLVED...

It ran like a champ, parked it, and went to turn it back on 30 minutes later, the same problem reoccurred... Only problem is it's too hot to test out at the moment.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

I have a very similar issue. I my ABS, service vehicel, and brake lights stay on all the time. The air bag light comes and goes and the tach, water tem, fuel guage randoms drop to zero at times. The car runs and drives perfect. Ive been told its the BCM but havent been able to find anyone with one i can get the key with or that can tell me the VATS # to match with a bcm they are selling.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaro75racer
I have a very similar issue. I my ABS, service vehicel, and brake lights stay on all the time. The air bag light comes and goes and the tach, water tem, fuel guage randoms drop to zero at times. The car runs and drives perfect. Ive been told its the BCM but havent been able to find anyone with one i can get the key with or that can tell me the VATS # to match with a bcm they are selling.
Call your local dealerships and ask if they will scan your car with a "Tech 2" scanner. Some dealerships charge for this - find out. It could be up to $100 (a ripoff!). The one near my last house did it for free. Make sure they know you just want it scanned. This scanner will scan the brake module and lots of other stuff that the ones Autozone has won't. My guess is you have a bad ABS sensor. Doesn't explain the gauges, but they aren't necessarily related.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I tried the AutoZone one, and it wouldn't even communicate with the vehicle. i'll call the dealership on Monday to see if they'll assist me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro75racer
I've got an issure very much like that. I left the states and had to park the car, so I can't troubleshoot it right now. Please keep us posted, I'm interested in what fixes this for you.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Nothing as of yet... It's sitting in the driveway, battery disconnected. The more I read the forums, the more I see a similar problem. The only problem is everyone has a different "solution".
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Default Fixed!

After leaving the car in the driveway for a couple months to think about what it's done I popped the hood and went at her again... It was in fact the ECU. there was some corrosion on the blue connectors and a pin was busted off of the ecu, and lodged in the wiring harness. still throwing a knock sensor code, but I'm pretty sure that's an entirely different problem... something to at least check... it's easy enough.