General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

just picked my car up from the shop and..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just picked my car up from the shop and..

now I have a slight vibration from 2000-2300rpms and a strong vibration from 2400-2600rpms. I brought it in to replace the rear main seal and install my old centerforce clutch w/ a new disc and they saw my pilot bushing was shot to hell so they replaced that too. I've had a problem with shaking in the drivetrain on bumpy surfaces for awhile now, I replaced the tq arm mount, installed a poly tranny mount then finally poly motor mounts all of which helped slightly but never cured the problem. but now the shaking seems to have disappeared only to be replaced by this vibration. I know people say poly mounts will cause vibrations but I've had the poly tranny mount for 2yrs and the motor mounts for 1 and have never had serious vibrations like this, I feel like every bolt in the car is going to loosen up. any ideas on what could cause rpm related vibs like these?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

some ones gotta have some ideas on what I should check out..?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flywheel may have been dropped?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A few ideas:

Driveshaft is off by 180 degrees? Flip it.

Tire balance?

Shocks?

I know these items seem obvious, but they are worth checking.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the responses!
Originally Posted by bjamick
Flywheel may have been dropped?
I hope not, but I think they woulda told me. their cool guys and were psyched to hear I was going to install my cam myself and told me not to hesitate to call them if I needed any help, tips or tq specs.
Originally Posted by eseibel67
A few ideas:

Driveshaft is off by 180 degrees? Flip it.

Tire balance?

Shocks?

I know these items seem obvious, but they are worth checking.
the D/S has been in since last summer, its another thing I did trying to chase down the shaking. but the shaking on bumps feeling I was getting totally changed after having that stuff done last week, now its a definate vibration like your in a massaging chair. the tire balance couldn't of changed since the other week but maybe I'll get them checked just to make sure. the shocks are tired and was my main suspect for the shaking after everything else I did, but I don't see them being the cause of this vibration which feels like its originating from in front of the shifter and is RPM dependant.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Were the stock rubber mounts on the car previously? From what ive read you switched to poly correct? if so to me that explains the rpm dependent vibes. Mine did this after i went from stock rubber to poly I just learned to live with it. I know its a totaly different car but I just got done replacing the stock motor mounts on my buddys cobalt ss turbo with polys and does the same thing at specific rpms and that car only has 8k miles. The reason this happens is because Poly doesnt dampen the vibes as good as the rubber mounts this is why you never see oem's using poly mounts from the factory they are alot stiffer and exagerate vibes that would not be noticed otherwise!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Could be your driveshaft is out of balance, too.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the driveshaft, if it wasn't installed in the correct orientation it came out then that's where it can be out of balance. From what i hear/read, and i know it's in the service manual, when removing the driveshaft and yokes you need to mark them so they go back together in the same orientation to maintain balance, everything is not zero-balanced.
other than that, check tire balance, and
poly mounts definitely transmit more vibration into the cabin then the oem mounts so try finding a nice smooth paved road to rule that out.