General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant/Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant/Radiator Question

'Just had my coolant and upper and lower radiator hoses changed a week or so ago. I noticed a few days later that the radiator sounds like it is boiling after driving for a while and bringing the vehicle home. I'm guessing that the radiator cap has lost its pressure-keeping ability. There is no leaking or overflow. Anyone with a thought on this? I have a '97 Formula LT1 stock.
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about those, but might have some sort of air bleed off valve on them. If it does, loosen the screw to purge any air out of the system.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LT1's have reverse cooling, so you need to make sure there's no air in the system when refilling. Whoever did the service may not know of the reverse cooling so they may have just topped up the radiator and thought it was all good.

http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

the system needs to hold pressure, if it doesn't it can boil but you would still be > 200F and you would see that on your temp gauge. If it sounds like boiling but your temp gauge is < 200F then it's most likely air in the system.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First bleed the system of air. Then you can either test or just replace the radiator cap if the problem persists. If you didn't have this problem prior to it getting serviced, I'm guessing there is just air in your system.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Default Coolant Reply

Thanks very much for quick response and insight. I'm sure that my local guy wasn't aware of the right procedure for this kind of system.

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Not sure about those, but might have some sort of air bleed off valve on them. If it does, loosen the screw to purge any air out of the system.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Default Reverse Cooling Fix

I had no idea about reverse cooling, and I'm sure that my local guy doesn't as well. Thanks for getting back with me quickly and for the insight. (I also appreciate the link to the procedure!)

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
the LT1's have reverse cooling, so you need to make sure there's no air in the system when refilling. Whoever did the service may not know of the reverse cooling so they may have just topped up the radiator and thought it was all good.

http://www.shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

the system needs to hold pressure, if it doesn't it can boil but you would still be > 200F and you would see that on your temp gauge. If it sounds like boiling but your temp gauge is < 200F then it's most likely air in the system.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Default Air in the cooling system

I am sure that you are right about this. I didn't realize that this could be a problem. I will take this back to my local guy who did the job.

Originally Posted by 01formula6
First bleed the system of air. Then you can either test or just replace the radiator cap if the problem persists. If you didn't have this problem prior to it getting serviced, I'm guessing there is just air in your system.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seekersam
'Just had my coolant and upper and lower radiator hoses changed a week or so ago. I noticed a few days later that the radiator sounds like it is boiling after driving for a while and bringing the vehicle home. I'm guessing that the radiator cap has lost its pressure-keeping ability. There is no leaking or overflow. Anyone with a thought on this? I have a '97 Formula LT1 stock.
Thanks!
Air in the system man. Start the engine while cold with the radiator cap off. As its warming up squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses fast like 20 times each until the t-stat opens and you see it flowing in the radiator. The level will drop down....top it off quickly and put the cap on. Done.