General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help.. MY GTO fought a streetbike

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help.. MY GTO fought a streetbike

And lost...

Apperently my little sister thinks she's strong enough to hold a street bike upright in order to get a soda from the garage. The **** fell and dented/ scratched my car pretty good. I'm so smurfing pissed but I've made this priority number one..

Kinds hard to see from the pics but the dent is about 5 inches long. Pretty deep scratch where it first hit. I got an estimate at a body shop for 900. but that sounded way to high.. What do you all think as far as estimates?

Any advice on what route to go? And does anybody here know a good body and paint shop? I live in Fontana.. I really don't want any kind of memory of this and I want the Goat to look just as it did before the bike landing on it.

All responses welcome and appreaciated.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 AM
Teching In

$900 doesn't seem too bad. Have you tried going to your insurance?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 AM
12 Second Club

what did the 5 fingers say to your sister's face?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

You might check with the guys that do the 'paintless' dent repair. You've got some in your area. Not sure if they can fix it or not, but if they can it will be cheaper than a traditional body shop. We use them all the time back here for hail damage, and when they are done you can't tell there was any damage.

http://www.1800dentdoc.com/
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My whole front passanger fender on my GTO was completely crunched in by a bike. It costed me $85.00 to get it removed.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
You might check with the guys that do the 'paintless' dent repair. You've got some in your area. Not sure if they can fix it or not, but if they can it will be cheaper than a traditional body shop. We use them all the time back here for hail damage, and when they are done you can't tell there was any damage.

http://www.1800dentdoc.com/
Yea you can use "paintless" repair when you have paint.. he doesn't anymore.. plus the size of the dent/scratch would probably stretch the metal a good bit trying to get it back in.. I don't think it sounds like a bad price, depending on how they're going to fix it, the size of the panel considered as well as the blend area..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

900 to fix that mess is reasonable, you don't wanna how much work it takes to fix and blend a panel on the side like that. That has to done perfect of you will see it all the time. Good Luck.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ agree

You can definitely get it done for half that price if you look around.....but it will not be perfect.

I slid off the road into the grass doing about 30mph and hit a metal speed limit sign pole. It hiot exactly in the middle of my driver door. The door cracked in half so I got a new door plain and simple. But the paint work to get it to match, he had to blend almost the entire side of the car and up over the top a little bit. No way possible to tell anything happened when he was done. $4,800 total.

T-top on that side popped, door glass, mouldings and few other things help jack the price up but that paint work was a killer. Bright Red.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Well I found a local shop here that can do it for about 450.00 Only catch is he's only giving four year guarentee on his work. I might just offer him a bit more to use better materials and extend the guarentee though. I looked at his shop and it looks pretty good and his work is actually very good.

What do you all think?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Jitsu
Well I found a local shop here that can do it for about 450.00 Only catch is he's only giving four year guarentee on his work. I might just offer him a bit more to use better materials and extend the guarentee though. I looked at his shop and it looks pretty good and his work is actually very good.

What do you all think?
Better materials....that makes no sense. Wherever you go needs to use the best paint and clear coat available.

How did they say they were going to fix the dent/scratch? Bondo?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just remember you usually get what you pay for. some of those $50.00 repairs can look like a $50.00 repair. if you use a shop just make sure they have a good rep.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

"Hello *insurance company,* I came out of Walmart to find a huge dent in the side of my car.."

Imo, I wouldn't go to the 2nd guy.. A 4 year guarantee kinda makes it sound like he KNOWS it's going to come out crappy.. But we can't all afford top notch stuff. Ask him exactly what he'll be doing to fix the damage and go from there.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

900 sounds about right if it includes paint
you can try paintless dent repair but that looks pretty deep im not sure there is much they can do about that, gonna have to take it to a body shop, just make sure you know the shop does good work

good luck, sorry to see that
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
"Hello *insurance company,* I came out of Walmart to find a huge dent in the side of my car.."

Imo, I wouldn't go to the 2nd guy.. A 4 year guarantee kinda makes it sound like he KNOWS it's going to come out crappy.. But we can't all afford top notch stuff. Ask him exactly what he'll be doing to fix the damage and go from there.
well he'd still need to pay a deductable for it. if the cost of that is lower than the repair then definatly do it. but alot of ppl now have a 1000 deductable.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thats way too much when ya can fix it fer 10 bucks:

Billy Mays here, back for one last sale:

Billy-Mays-Simoniz-Fix-it-Pro-Pen
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index....ROD&ProdID=706

It quickly repairs scratches, nicks and swirls on your car or truck. Microscopic polishing agents penetrate deeply to return paint to its original shine. Fix It Scratch Remover is safe to use on any color car to quickly and easily repair scratches and nicks. Just apply Fix It to the scratch, use the Power Buffer to rub Fix It deep into the surface of the scratch and then wipe it away. With Fix It, the scratch has met its match!

ROFL
Old 09-21-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with not many angles on the side of the GTO your gonna see the slightest wave if you look down the body lines. pay 900 and get it done right, dont budget your money(i mean dont let your sister budget her money) since she dropped the damn bike on your car.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just go throught insurance and not worry about the cost...unless your deductible is some ungodly amount. I mean, this is why we have insurance right?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
well he'd still need to pay a deductable for it. if the cost of that is lower than the repair then definatly do it. but alot of ppl now have a 1000 deductable.
My deductible is 500 and my car got sideswiped in a parking lot. My insurance said I could claim it on my uninsured motorist for $200.