General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NGk Tr55 ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default NGk Tr55 ????

Ok so, I thought I told the moron at Autozone I wanted the Iridium NGK TR55 and my *** didn't really bother double checking before I installed them...

My question is, how much of an improvement will I see if I go to the iridiums or the platinums.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?aaia=1379965

Currently installed are the VPOWER and since it was the first time I used NGK I was clueless as to what that meant, apparently it means CHEAP *** plug...

Would I be seeing any improvement in gas mileage and engine stability if I were to go with the Iridium vs the VPOWER??

Im thinking of the TR55IX vs the TR55...

Any one tried both??
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only difference between the two is plug life, no power difference to be had
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the only difference between the two is plug life, no power difference to be had
What about mileage, the iridiums claim better mileage then standards, I would think that would mean hp boost even if its like 2 or 3 hp....
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by baalic
What about mileage, the iridiums claim better mileage then standards, I would think that would mean hp boost even if its like 2 or 3 hp....
its all marketing hype. plugs are plugs when it comes to power. delcos will make the same as NGKs. as stated the material the plug has in it affects how long it will last.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

its all marketing hype. plugs are plugs when it comes to power. delcos will make the same as NGKs. as stated the material the plug has in it affects how long it will last.
If delco's are as good as NGK then whey does everyone go NGK and not Delco which is the OEM replacement??
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok so, I thought I told the moron at Autozone I wanted the Iridium NGK TR55 and my *** didn't really bother double checking before I installed them...

My question is, how much of an improvement will I see if I go to the iridiums or the platinums.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?aaia=1379965

Currently installed are the VPOWER and since it was the first time I used NGK I was clueless as to what that meant, apparently it means CHEAP *** plug...

Would I be seeing any improvement in gas mileage and engine stability if I were to go with the Iridium vs the VPOWER??

Im thinking of the TR55IX vs the TR55...

Any one tried both??
Performance gains will be ZERO.

If you are able to measure the tiny little gas mileage difference it'll be so minimal, its meaningless really. Like "hitman" said...its all marketing crap and hype.

Regular $1.70 each TR55 plugs are the best performance you're gonna get. Hope you gapped them to .040 minimum and .060 max. .050 is perfect.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

wtf it says chassis suspension and appearance...this is not where I wanted to post this.....?? Apparently the laptop was lagging worse then I thought....lame.... Someone wana move me to the right spot??! LOL
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Performance gains will be ZERO.

If you are able to measure the tiny little gas mileage difference it'll be so minimal, its meaningless really. Like "hitman" said...its all marketing crap and hype.

Regular $1.70 each TR55 plugs are the best performance you're gonna get. Hope you gapped them to .040 minimum and .060 max. .050 is perfect.

You know I think they are .60 Would I see any improvement if I got new ones at .50??

Again this is what Autozone pulled up for me....and my *** assumed they were right about something for once...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

If delco's are as good as NGK then whey does everyone go NGK and not Delco which is the OEM replacement??
because of the marketing. delco doesnt advertise. NGK does. its like people who buy MSD wires because they believe they will make more power
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

because of the marketing. delco doesnt advertise. NGK does. its like people who buy MSD wires because they believe they will make more power
I never heard of NGK until I came to LS1tech???

So, I should just keep the plugs I have now unless I foul them?? even gapped at .60?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I never heard of NGK until I came to LS1tech???

So, I should just keep the plugs I have now unless I foul them?? even gapped at .60?
yeah you will be fine with those, when you do replace them delco platinums or the regular NGKs will be just fine
Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You know I think they are .60 Would I see any improvement if I got new ones at .50??

Again this is what Autozone pulled up for me....and my *** assumed they were right about something for once...
I can just tell you what I did.

This was done on both my 100% bone stock engine and on my 427ci stroker when it was installed. ZERO difference in either engine with this experiment.

I tried different gaps because I didn't really know much about it back in 1998 when I was bone stock. I took my factory plugs out and replaced them with NGK TR55 at about 30,000 miles. I believe the GM factory gap was .060. I tried gapping them at .045 first. I had absolutely zero change in performance at all, anywhere from idle to redline. Perfect running engine. Then I tried .055 and same thing, no change. I then tried .040, again , no change at all.
And...then I did all the same when my 427ci went in back in 2002.

But I'm just figuring .050 is a happy medium and will probably be best. And if there is some kind of tiny little gas mileage change, I'm only .010 away from factory gap, so there's no way I'll notice unless I do very detailed logs of gas mileage throughout like a year, maybe I'll save a few gallons.

PLUS...GM changed the gap to I THINK.... .055 as the proper gap. So now I'm only .005 away from what GM says is good.

Bottom line...if you are just running an Normally Aspirated engine, from bone stock up to a pump gas 600+ RWHP stroker engine.... .050 is a perfect gap.

You need to start messing with gaps when you go: race gas high compression, forced induction, or nitrous.

Spark plugs are like engine oil....tons of BS, hype and marketing.

Also....whenver you buy new plugs...don't take their word for it that they are gapped properly to a certain gap. Always check them with a gapper to make sure they are all exact.

I recommend you do gap them to .050.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run ngk tr6's in mine work just fine
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

^^ well with that 150 shot u got going id run the tr6's as well.. and to the guy above..just be glad u changed the plugs. sucks to do it on a fbody car. unfortunately any hp gains mentioned will be on a dyno anyway and not something u can feel on the average drive or your seat of the pants feel when u punch it. ive ran delco's, ngktr55, ngktr56 for spray... any of those will be fine. i currently use the ngktr55 and have no complaints. yes its all marekting tactics that push the buyer to beliving in whats good whats not.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gixxer75094lt1
^^ well with that 150 shot u got going id run the tr6's as well.. and to the guy above..just be glad u changed the plugs. sucks to do it on a fbody car. unfortunately any hp gains mentioned will be on a dyno anyway and not something u can feel on the average drive or your seat of the pants feel when u punch it. ive ran delco's, ngktr55, ngktr56 for spray... any of those will be fine. i currently use the ngktr55 and have no complaints. yes its all marekting tactics that push the buyer to beliving in whats good whats not.

Right, well, the plug change I didn't find all that hard...honestly. So that doesn't bother me changing, the biggest question wasn't should I use the NGKtr55 but should I switch to the NGKTR55IX
Old 11-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Right, well, the plug change I didn't find all that hard...honestly. So that doesn't bother me changing, the biggest question wasn't should I use the NGKtr55 but should I switch to the NGKTR55IX
The only difference i have ever felt with the iridium plugs is throttle crispness.... I had the tr6ix in my 02 Harley F-150 w/15lbs of boost...but changed back to regular ngk's and it was fine.... If you just wanna say you spent 60 dollars on plugs, go ahead, but it really wasn't worth it for me... btw I have the tr6ix's in the 01 SS, and hate them...lol

Quick Reply: NGk Tr55 ????