General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Recommended Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended Power Steering Fluid

*Mod's if this is in the wrong section please move it, I didn't know where else to put it*

What's a good, recommended steering fluid? I plan on flushing the system come spring time. Any additives needed?

Thank you.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I use the Lucas power steering fluid with additives.. Not the power steering stop leak crap.. It seems to work good and keep everything lubricated, or u could always go to the stealership.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the valvoline synth blend. A full synth would be better but I don't AX or RR the car so it is more than fine. I suck it dry with a turkey baster once a year and top off. Yes I know a full flush is better but this has worked fine for me. What comes out still looks really clean....
Old 02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Launching!

How much fluid does the PS reservoir take (to reach the 'full' line)?

Edit: I dumped in ~10 oz of the Lucas stuff. Big improvement vs. an empty reservoir. lol

Last edited by johnlv6; 02-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work at a car dealership (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) but we service all makes and models. We use BG products. The power steering flush comes as a kit with 2 additives as well as the actual fluid. It really is good stuff to use, weve never had any issues.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valvoline synthetic blend......
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas how much the whole system takes?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Here's an article that will give you some help;

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...s1-camaro.html

Personally, I would not start the car to expel the fluid. The reason being is the pump doesn't take kindly to running dry. I would pull the pressure line off and put it in a plastic gallon jug. I would then turn the key and start the car and shut it off; allowing fluid to pressurize, then run out by gravity. When there was about two cups in the jug, I would start adding new fluid to the reservoir and repeat while turning the wheels (which are lifted) back and forth. It takes a bit more fluid, but its called "flushing", isn't it. Lucas oil can be added on your last flush, when you tighten up the lines.

I don't know if there is a cone type screen like Mustang ll has in their system, but if it does, pull the screen along with the shavings and install a new one before the final flush.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alittle1
Here's an article that will give you some help;

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...s1-camaro.html

Personally, I would not start the car to expel the fluid. The reason being is the pump doesn't take kindly to running dry. I would pull the pressure line off and put it in a plastic gallon jug. I would then turn the key and start the car and shut it off; allowing fluid to pressurize, then run out by gravity. When there was about two cups in the jug, I would start adding new fluid to the reservoir and repeat while turning the wheels (which are lifted) back and forth. It takes a bit more fluid, but its called "flushing", isn't it. Lucas oil can be added on your last flush, when you tighten up the lines.

I don't know if there is a cone type screen like Mustang ll has in their system, but if it does, pull the screen along with the shavings and install a new one before the final flush.
Do you know how much the system takes?

Quick Reply: Recommended Power Steering Fluid