General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 rear hatch opening problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb 2002 rear hatch opening problem

I constantly had the problem with the hatch on my 02 B4C not opening at first push of the yellow dash button or the double push of the key fob. I read and digested the 'extra spring fix' mod, and other solutions, but when I was ready to tinker (something of a habit with me) I noticed another more reliable/correct fix for the particular problem mine was having. My brass colored lever that pushes the hatch loop upwards with the spring was notched from repeated overuse. Seeing this lever/spring was at its resting place (fully contracted) on the rear catch assembly, I knew all the extra springs in the world was not going to help this one pop open any better. What I had to do, was notch the bracket that the brass lever rested on a few milimeters lower, so the edge that pushed up the loop on the hatch, would travel up higher. This resulted in having a more higher push from this lever which allowed the hatch to clear any catch that was preventing it from opening fully. I took a picture of it in its original shape (#1), then took 8 more (#2 through #9) after notching the resting place after the spring pulled the lever down. The final (#9) was the one to compare to #1 showing how much higher the lever pushes up the hatch loop. I will try to post them here, here is a narrative on each.

#1, Before starting. Can you see the wear of the lever in the center of the brass push lever that pushes the hatch loop up?
#2, Center of picture you see the notch that allows the lever to go lower from the pull of the spring.
#3, Another angle of the notch needed to allow the lever to be pulled lower by the spring.
#4, Spring reattached, see how much lower the lever is pulled?
#5, Another angle of how much lower the spring pulls the lever lower.
#6, This picture shows the higher lever at where the hatch loop now gets pushed higher. Notice the groove that was worn into the lever by the hatch loop?
#7, Much clearer view of how much higher the lever pushes up the hatch loop, thereby clearing the latching mechanism.
#8, I put this picture in to let you know the left side plastic/nylon guide for the hatch loop, may have to be slightly filed down, to allow the lever to smoothly travel up and down and not bind anywhere. This plastic/nylon guide is shown just to the left of the end of the lever (center picture). The other one to the right of center, didn't have to be touched because the lever kept it clear of any binding.
#9, Final look (compare with #1 to see difference in how high the lever now puches the hatch loop) after reassembly! It now pops open very high and has not caught since I trimmed that notch.

In closing, I used a dremel clone, took no more than 4 minutes to notch that metal. Just be sure of your clearances and do not take out too much! That lever's stop position must keep enough tension on the spring so it doesn't slip off its lower clip-on location. If you take too much off, it'll not hold the spring on its lower mount! Hope its what you need!
Attached Thumbnails 2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-1.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-2.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-3.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-4.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-5.jpg  

2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-6.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-7.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-8.jpg   2002 rear hatch opening problem-4thgendecklid-9.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Launching!

I just pressed the button 50 times and then wala!! Its open lol. Nice right up btw
Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks, I always had the problem with the hatch since picking up my B4C in June 07, just never took the time to see why it wasn't working right. Saw the fixes posted before, just got around to it this last weekend. Anyway, its been working flawlessly since no problems...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjust up the rubber bumpers to keep some pressure on the hatch.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Armageddon, all that does is make it harder to close. Would not have worked in my case because closing was not a problem. If you look at my original post, you'll see I reviewed all the other posts and found this solution to be the best due to what was happening/not happening. There is no reason to make the hatch harder to close, and it was not leaking around the hatch seal. I believe the reason mine was not opening past the latch was because of the groove worn into the lever from the hatch loop. That made the lever not push it up high enough. Raising the lever solved the problem without any other 'fix' mentioned before. It is not the rubber bumpers that raise the hatch past the latching mechanism, it is the lever being pulled by the spring pushing up on the hatch loop.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02LS1Z28BC
Armageddon, all that does is make it harder to close. Would not have worked in my case because closing was not a problem. If you look at my original post, you'll see I reviewed all the other posts and found this solution to be the best due to what was happening/not happening. There is no reason to make the hatch harder to close, and it was not leaking around the hatch seal. I believe the reason mine was not opening past the latch was because of the groove worn into the lever from the hatch loop. That made the lever not push it up high enough. Raising the lever solved the problem without any other 'fix' mentioned before. It is not the rubber bumpers that raise the hatch past the latching mechanism, it is the lever being pulled by the spring pushing up on the hatch loop.
Good ****. You located anywhere around Dallas? Maybe you can do mine im not good with instructions.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Hey SSdimension, I am in South Carolina! If your ever over this way come on by. I would love to fix that hatch problem if it is the same as my situation. Mine turned out perfect and I didn't have to 'mod' anything else but that little notch in the lever stop. If you make the trip sometime, I'll buy the first two rounds (for you and me)!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 AM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

02LS1Z28BC, Yeah, I glazed over your post. I'm happy you're happy with your fix. When you're lazy like me, 2 seconds of adjusting the bump stops to keep more pressure on the hatch works just fine. It has for every 4th gen I've owned.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Teching In

thought it was just my car with that problem! haha
Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Teching In

have the same problem here just adjusted the bump stops
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Hey SSdimension, I am in South Carolina! If your ever over this way come on by. I would love to fix that hatch problem if it is the same as my situation. Mine turned out perfect and I didn't have to 'mod' anything else but that little notch in the lever stop. If you make the trip sometime, I'll buy the first two rounds (for you and me)!
You said it man... Ill let you know. Maybe next month
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Do it for mine and I'll join ya both haha. I love in South Carolina too. Myrtle Beach area. Where you at?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nice

that makes a lot of sense, mine has the same problem but hell I'll use a grinder and save my self a bit of time :-)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great how to!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Adm and SS, I live just west of Sumter. Reply with your email addy and I'll reply with an email maybe hooking up for a beer/chat!